Doctor Phobia

Posted , 12 users are following.

Is anybody else afraid of going to the doctor?  Adding up my medical visits in 2016, I've had eleven appointments, including testing and lab work, plus my surgery last month.  Today, I have to see my GI Doctor and will have a colonoscopy at the end of June.  There will not have been a single month in the first six months of this year that I haven't seen a doctor.  I feel overwhelmed by it.  I always expect the worst now, having gone through so much in a short period of time.  I have started exercising again and am working gradually on getting in better shape and wish that would help the anxiety some.  I dread seeing doctors now.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Morning ladies! I might have the answer. I heard an US doctor talking recently. He said in all the years he spent in medical college he only studied nutrition for a few hours. He jumped ship and now treats with nutrition - he ain't the only one!
    • Posted

I can believe that. There is a lot of things that doctors maybe only had a few hours of training in. Menopause was kept so silent for years that when some women did suffer more harsh symtpoms they didn't speak on it. The only things most women complained about were the hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, skipping periods, low libido, and vaginal dryness. So in the eyes of a lot of doctors, if you don't say any of these things then you are not in menopause. Majority of them don't know anything about perimenopause. Not all doctors, but most of them think this way. I've done so much research trying to help myself that I should be a meno expert. I don't even get frustrated anymore. Doctors still make me anxious and I was never like that probably because I never really had to go and of course the strange sensations I expierence during this time doesn't help because I'm scared the doctors will tell me it's something sinister. So I treat myself. I'm only going if I'm really sick or something is unbearable. I'm on blood pressure medicine and iron tablets so I keep my regular 3 month appointments to monitor that and that is all I plan to do.
  • Posted

I am just about to enter into the fear zone because I have some abnormal bleeding to investigate. I just know this will lead to an endless amount of visits for this test and that. I am glad to get checked out but fear the worst at every step! My BP is always high when I have an appt., and a I even get stressed just picking up supplements at the reception! My only saving grace is that I have a naturopathic GP, so we discuss anxiety and stress a lot and I don't feel judged in any way. 
    • Posted

Hi Sabrina, I can relate... I started out with urinary frequency and ended up having an ovary and some polyps removed.  I have run the gamut on lab work, scans, and exams this year.  It is good that you can discuss your anxiety with your GP.  I hope that everything will go well for you and that it will be a minor issue at most!
  • Posted

I am the same way white coat freight when I pull in the parking lot up goes my blood pressure and anxiety it's horrible sometime I pull right out and reschedule because it becomes over whelming for me I can't deal with it I get so bad it feels like I drank a whole lot of coffee this thing we call menopause is driving me crazy not to mention my aches and pains in my joints going crazy because the hormones are going crazy my elbows wrist shoulders you name it I ache all over at times hope this crap goes away soon we as women suffer a lot got to be a light at the end of the tunnel
    • Posted

I agree.  With having Crohn's, too, I already had achy joints occasionally.  Peri has just taken everything to a new level.  The other day at the GI office, I just drove around in the parking lot for a while to try to calm down before going in, but it didn't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.