Doctor Rage

Posted , 6 users are following.

I did not join in the last discussion about response to doctors. I know for sure that my doctor does not care what I say to him. When I was first diagnosed with PMR my CRP was high and my Sed elevated.  Then as time and Prednison dosages went by my blood work only spoke when I had a bad flair, and now never changes.

All my symptoms went to Jaw, head, cluster headaches--GCA--very bad.  Actually went on Prednisone up to 80mg.  That all was in 1013,14,15.  I finally let myself have the temporal biopsy even though I knew it would reveal little.

What I did? How I coped?

Since I go to the Pacific NW in summer I found a rheumatologist near Seattle. WA.  He is wonderful, he listens, and he says-"forget the blood tests just tell me what is happening.  

The rehaumatologist I have in the SW--Arizona, thinks I make up half of what I say.  I finally told him I know what is going on and when I have a flair.  I think he cooperates with me because he knows I have a 2nd doctor.

I have also received help from a Neurologist doing research in Colorado.  He said take antiviral pills for the GCA and try to reduce prednison.  Dr. in NW spoke with him and agreed to let me try.  I have not had GCA symptoms for almost a year now.  But I have PMR flairs every time I try to reduce Prednisone.

My only point in this post is that one needs a doctor who listens and who knows the disease--or at least wants to---and yes, keep reading these posts as so many people have knowledge.  Always read what Eileen says--she is really on top of it and every time I read one of her replies I want to yell "Yeah!" and "Thank you for listening and sharing wisdom and experience."

I want to change doctors in the SW but he is used to me insisting on myself and what I experience--I find it a challenge.  I am close to reaching out to anyone in my area if they need help--not sure just how to do this.   

Hang in there everyone.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

There is a US website which is attempting to get US people together - the link is in the first post of this thread:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

although I have no idea how it is progressing.

There is also a Canadian one - although I realise your experiences are less valid in another country- and I know there is a small group of people around the Vancouver BC area. I'll be meeting some of them at the end of June! Not a million miles from Seattle to Vancouver? 

What a contrast in doctors though - like the sound of your northern one, I'd have sacked the other long ago! But at least he provides the tablets...

• Posted

We go to Vancouver the end of August, but it really is not that far away.  Keep me posted.  Thanks you for the link.
    • Posted

As far as I know there are plans for a few of us PMR-ers to meet in Vancouver on June 24th/25th, but not sure of the exact details yet. I just know one lady from "up in the arctic" has booked a hotel for June 24th which is one of the days we are in Vancouver during our "tour". 
    • Posted

Hope we are still going to meet in Calgary on June 18th, Eileen!  I have it in my calendar. Looking forward to it!
    • Posted

Enjoy the blonde bombshell, who dropped into my life 8 years ago.

Serendipity.

• Posted

We have our flights from Chicago to Calgary on the 17th, arriving heaven knows when at night  - there is a 4 hour window between the flight from Munich landing and the flight for Calgary so I hope to goodness it works! 
    • Posted

Oh, so Eileen is a blonde Bombshell!  I had no idea. haha. It will be easier for me to find her now. I am very excited to meet this woman who I have learned so very much from in the month that I have been on this forum! Wish I'd joined two and a half years ago!

Yes, it feels very serendipitous. 

Sheila

• Posted

I hope the flights are all on time. You will be very tired. I just did the overseas  flights in September so feel for you re - the jetlag involved. 
    • Posted

I was fine after the trip back from China to Europe - which was similar as it was a 10+ hour flight followed by a 4 hour drive home. I can usually sleep anywhere - even on a plane...
    • Posted

What a bonus to be able to sleep on a plane Eileen.  I wish! That would sure help with jetlag. Sounds like you travel quite a bit so it's great that you adjust to travel in different timezones so easily.
    • Posted

We have a bit of a fight - when we get there/back I just want to go and sleep when I'm ready and if I wake up, then I wake up. OH gets in such a sweat about not sleeping at the normal times.

I assume it's a man thing and is not unconnected with the fact men never do a lot with the kids when they're small. David used to say "Oh, she slept through last night, that's good" - when I'd been up at least 3 times for one reason or another...

• Posted

I envy you being able to sleep on a plane. I've tried but I just can't. OH can sleep on a knife edge. In fact I found him sleeping over the kitchen table yesterday.
    • Posted

Mine goes to sleep in an office chair in front of his computer...
    • Posted

My sleeping pill is the TV - I am guaranteed to drop off - so I always put the recorded on - as I got fed up of not seeing the end of a film or programme I was really interested in. 
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, i
    • Posted

Hi Kerry,

I live in Vancouver WA. and have had PMR since April 2015. I have been on this UK site for over a year and it doesn't seem to matter where the people live we all have the same disease. The information I have gotten on this site has been wonderful!

Maybe it's a NW thing but I also have a Rhumy here in Vancouver that has been great. She is very familiar with PMR and is allowing me to taper as slow as I need to. She said I'm the one who knows how I feel so do what I need to. She predicted I would be off Prednesone by the end of summer... Let hope!😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.