doctors note after op?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just a query for all that's had the op, the doctor on duty the day I was discharged gave me a sick note for 6 weeks, I was told I

needed 12 weeks off work previously.

What's everyone else had regarding how long they had on sick

note ? (if you work of course) I had TAH with BSO

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi my consultant only gave me 6 week sick note alto. When it runs out your doctors will give you another one so don't worry. 12 weeks is the minimum time you need to recover. I had vaginal hysterectomy and a posterior repair and I have been off 13 weeks, one week to go and back to work. Take care and don't worry too much xx
  • Posted

Hi

i got 2 week line from hospital 

went to docs last week and got 4 week line 

I am planning to take 12 weeks minimum

lee x

• Posted

Hi,

I got 2 weeks from the ward!! But then went to GP and she gave me 12 weeks.

6 weeks is definitely not enough. I'm 6 weeks post op today definitely not ready for work yet!

Xx

• Posted

I had a TAH with BSO and Dr gave me a 6 week sick note and if I feel I need longer he will give me another one.... Hoping I won't need one 😀

Di

• Posted

Hi

I got 6 weeks from the consultant and they said if i feel i need more then the doctor will issue me with another one. It is reccomended about 12 weeks for TAH BSO. I am seeing the doctor on friday to sort out my HRT so will speak to him then about returning to work.

• Posted

Thanks Nicola let me know how yr HRT goes plz, I ve got to sort mine out in 3 wks time when I go back to see surgeon but ain't got a clue what to expect. Do they let you choose? Or do they tell you what they think you should be on? I guess at the moment you're not sure yrself

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Nanny to 5

Just to let you know i'v been to the doctors this morning and she said I had to go on to Oestrogen only HRT and I had no choice, been given 6 months worth of tablets they are called Elleste Solo 2mg got to go back in 3 months for a check up then every year. Also she gave me another 6 weeks sick note, she said with the type of surgery I (we) have had you need 12 weeks.

Hope you are keping well

Nikki xxx

• Posted

Thanks for info Nicola. I can't wait to see my gyno, I m a little worried today as I ve got an ache in my calf, feels like I ve had cramp, just hoping it's not a blood clot! I ll keep my eye on it as my sister died of an embolism 12 years ago so it's frightening me a little. It seems once you start to feel a little better something else goes wrong. Is your HRT tablet, gel or patch form? X
    • Posted

Hi Nanny,

If I was you I would just give the doctor a quick ring, I would be really cautious especially after loosing a family member, just tell the receptionist you recently had majior surgery and get the doctor to cal you back. My HRT is in tablet form.

XX

• Posted

I ve just rang docs gotta go round in half hour, thanks for support. Let's see how you get on with your HRT, hoping it goes well x
    • Posted

Please let me know how you get on. Keeping fingers crossed our ok.

Nikki xx

• Posted

Being almost 64 I am retired but had the same op as you I don't have to worry about sick notes. Everyone different in recovery time and work is heavy if I was still at work I could  not return to work at 6 weeks being a health care assistant I would need longer
  • Posted

Oh thank you ladies for info, I m not quite 3 wks yet and just can't see me being ready for work in another 3 wks time x
  • Posted

Hi,

My consultant originally told me back in Jan that it is a 6 week recovery time but when I queried that I thought this was for keyhole surgery he just laughed at me.My doctor said at least 3 months.When I was discharged it was one of my consultants team and when I asked for a sick note they asked me how long for.I didn't like to say 3 months so I told her what my consultant and doctor had said and she asked me how I felt about 8 weeks.I agreed knowing that my doctor would issue longer if need be.I have a check up at the hospital in 4-6 weeks and they could issue another certificate if need be. I saw my doctor on Mon and she thinks that I could be ok to go back at the end of 8 weeks because I have been doing so well so far.I am seeing her again in a month.Even though I have been doing so well now I am worried about going back to work too quickly especially as I work in a supermarket where I stand long periods,sit on a till and also deal with a lot of lifting all day.I work 39 hrs a week,no set hrs and they can vary from a 7.30am start to a 9.15pm finish.I don't want to overdo it before my holiday at the end of June.

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa. 

I don't think you can say now how long you will need. I have good days and bad days. I am not committing a date to my work but in my head it will be the end of June beginning of July I,will look to go back if I feel well. It take a good few weeks for your insides to recover and I am not rushing things. It might be best you wait till after your holiday. 

Can you do reduced hours?  I am going back on reduced hours for a few weeks working up to full time. 

Do what you feel is right. 

Lee x

• Posted

Hi Teresa smile

I agree with Poppy. Are you able to go back to work just a few hours a day? With what you do, you'll be wiped out and definitely over do it. I hope they work with you.

I hope every employer works with all the ladies. I work for a wonderful company and I was told I don't need to worry about the time I need.

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

You are so lucky work wise! I work for a charity and they have been vile to me from word go. I m not getting my normal wages I have to claim SSP so will be getting reduced pay, which I m not bothered about. My surgeon originally told me I d be off work 12 wks , when I told my so called manager she went very defensive and asked where the 12 weeks had come from saying after 6 wks I can drive and therefore go back to work! I was not amused. We were really friendly and have been working together for 7 years but since I had to have this op the atmosphere has been awful. Since I ve had the op I received a signed Get Well card from all the others I work with but she's the only one NOT to have signed it. It's really upset me, as if I need all this and trying to get over my op too. I really do not want to go back to work ever, that's why I m hoping I now get a sick note for 12 wks. I would nt mind, but I ve never been off sick for longer than 2 days all the while I ve been there, and maybe that's happened twice! I so rush they had been supportive, even the Chairman is on her side.

• Posted

Should say wish not rush
    • Posted

Oh that's awful. There's no way you can go back at 6 weeks. Sod her and get another 6 weeks off your doctor. This is a major op and you need to recover properly and it does take time. If you can manage on the sick pay then that's okay. God some people are nasty aren't they. Maybe she will need the op one day eh? Then will understand just how hard it can be. Try not to worry about her. You probably wouldn't be any better thought of even if you did go back after 6 weeks. Take care and stop worrying xx
    • Posted

I would love to do reduced hrs but i know that you health comes first but i don't know if you still get full pay.

xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I will be able to go back part tine.They have already told me not to rush.It is just the fact of how long my doctor will decide to sign me off for in the end.She is also very supportive.What ever happens i don't want to cancel my holiday.I should be ok as it is a cosch holidsy so i can do as little or as much as i want when we stop.

xxx

• Posted

Hi val

She, my so called manager, has never really be ill, never had an operation and never had an anaesthetic! People like this get away with it don't they. I m bit the nasty type but I hope one day she gets her cond uppance! I m just really mad as we have been good work mates up until now, it's as if she's jealous I m off work, I m sure she thinks it's a holiday! Even the chairman who's in his 70s and by now should retire said it's all changed from when his wife had her hysterectomy, the do it differently now and recovery is far quicker! I had. The abdominal, the way it's akways been done! Sorry to rave on but I need to vent my anger x

• Posted

I feel really sorry for you, I'm a great believes in karma, let's just hope your so called manager gets her come upance and soon lol. Take as long as you need off. It's definatley not a holiday xx
    • Posted

Thanks Val, yes I believe in karma too, one day she may be in a similar situation and will get no help from me ( I hope I ain't working with her for much longer need to look elsewhere) x
    • Posted

Hi Teresa 

in my job I get full,pay even on reduced hours. 

I work for BT who have been excellent. Over the year I have been ill I have taken quite a bit of time off and they have been so supportive. 

It makes all the difference if you work for a good company. 

Good luck

lee x

• Posted

Hi all!!!

I'm sorry I haven't been on. I had a death in my family.

Hi Nanny

I am so so sorry to hear about your work place. That is absolutely awful!!!! What is worse is the gal you've known for years wasn't caring or respectful about your situation. I guess you found out her true colors, but everybody else cared enough to send a card.

Again so sorry, because you have to go back to work one day. Just be cordial with her and that's it nothing more. She doesn't deserve it.

Good luck when you do go back. Others care about you smile

Take care

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Teresa!!!

I am so sorry you haven't heard from me. I had a death in the family.

I am so glad they are supportive!! I wish a companies were more like the ones we work for.

How are you feeling? I hope you're doing better smile

Love,

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Val

I completely agree with you about karma. Such a shame. What goes around comes around!

Take care,

Debbie

• Posted

Morning Debbie,

First of all can i send you my deepest sympathy.Hope that it hasn't set you back too much with your recovery.

I am still doing realkt well considering it has only been 4 and half weeks since my op.The worst thing has been my bowels.The best things are how much i have been able to get out and about and the amount of jobs i can do.I still feel a little tender and have some pulling on the left side.I am off work for another 4 weeks and i go back to see my consultant on May 18th.The whole experience has been so much better than i expected,i still keep waiting for a bad day.(fingers crossed i won't get one)

Great to hear from you again,

Take care,

Luv

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear of your loss, hope you're feeling a bit better now.

I m now 5 wks post op, have to see surgeon on 18th May to discuss HRT. Just hope I get another sick note, my stomach is nowhere back to normal, it pulls when I walk and then swells up above the cut line. Have been a little tearful today as it just seems never ending

Thanks for your support

Gail x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.