doctors note after op?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just a query for all that's had the op, the doctor on duty the day I was discharged gave me a sick note for 6 weeks, I was told I

needed 12 weeks off work previously.

What's everyone else had regarding how long they had on sick

note ? (if you work of course) I had TAH with BSO

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi , I was given certificate for 6 weeks initially then meant to see gp, but couldn't get appt so spoke to different gp on phone. She seemed to think I could go back to work but I told her had only just started driving and had over hour drive to work and did full on physically demanding job so didn't think I could go back yet! She signed me of , now been off for 10 weeks. Saw dr at occ health who said recovery time of 6 months is about average. Can go back on shorter days and no lifting when ready to go back, but work pushing me a bit. Will go back when I am ready. Still aches , back pain, joint pain may be hormonal, told hrt can take 8 weeks to have effect. Bowels still not right. Still tired and no exercise tolerance so not fit yet. People vary but I was told 3 to 4 months off if manual work. 
    • Posted

My sick note runs out 18th May but not seeing surgeon until 20th, do you think I could just leave it until I see her?
    • Posted

I would suggest you make an appointment to see your doctor first.I wouldn't want a 2 day delay because it is sometimes difficult getting a doctors appointment at our surgery especially with your own doctor which is

important with somehing like

this operation.

Even though my employer is

very good i would like to be

covered for all days.I had a

letter yesterday from my head

office asking me to fill in

details why i had been off

work for more than 7 days.I

phoned them today asking if

they had not received my sick

note and they told ne that

everything was ok.While i

was on the phone i asked if

my doctor wanted me to

return to work on reduced hrs

at the end of my 8 weeks

would i still get my full pay.I

was told i would and that my

boss would have to come

to an agreement with the hrs

i could work.I popped in to work to see them for an hr.Everyone was pleased to see me and asked me how i was getting on.It is nice that i work for a caring company.

xxx

• Posted

They should be able to backdate it if you are not ready to go back. You could try phoning gp surgery and explaining situation, they should be able to give you certificate, even if only for a week to cover til u see consultant, they will know from discharge letter what you have had done. If u have had TAH and only few weeks post op it should be obvious you are not ready for work yet! May have to pester them a bit . My gp said they could backdate certificate if I couldn't get appt before it ran out. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

When is it ok to drive after having surgery?

Thanks,

Debbie

I hope you are doing better.

• Posted

Hi, only just seen this question. I think I was driving at 4 or 5 weeks post op. Advised that it's a case of when you are ready. I.e. Not on loads of pain killers, drugged up!!  able to do emergency stop without pain. Couldn't really travel far as passenger til few weeks post op as too uncomfortable.  Only did short trips to and from school for first 2 weeks . First longer journey was to 6 week check and that was about 30 mins drive but managed that ok. I did check with insurance too as before 6 week check. Consultant was not v specific but I knew when ready to do short trip and had hubby in car with me too, just in case. Some people seem to have more problems with driving, but I found it a lot easier than walking. Lol! And still can't clean bath very easily! 
  • Posted

i was in hosiptal for 5 days and now 7 weeks post surgery I am back at work, desk based so not my feet all day
    • Posted

Well done. Can you get up when you want to and also how long can you sit down before you feel uncomfortable.I need to be careful about my return as for me to sit down it is sitting at a till with a lot of twisting and lifting a lot of heavy items like cases of wine.Even though my employer is very good they don't like you having more than 2 periods of sickness absence in 6 months so i am concerned if i i go back to early and then get signed off again within the first few days back.

xxx

• Posted

Don't go back to early i think  you will know in yourself how  u feel. I can get up and down and can lift bags of shopping, but thats just doing it once or twice. I think you will need 6-8 weeks, is it possible for you to go back for a few days and see how you go

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.