Doctors Visit

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all

I went to my GP on Wednesday and got a talking to. He was very proud of me that I have kept my weight down. Only gained 5 pounds from last year. I was also shock that he did a prostate check. First time in 10 years. He did say it was fine. He was going to send me for blood work but I did it last Friday. They did not send it to him. He had to call for the results.

Well I guess it was not to good. He put me on Atorvastatin 40 mg ( Lipitor ) for high cholesterol. Even when I was overweight my cholesterol was always good. This pill has a lot of side effects. Has anyone ever been on it. And how did you do with it.

I called to see way and I guess I have some other stuff that is not good. It is either to high or to low. I will see when I get the paper work in the mail. The nurse tried to tell me about it but I could not understand her on the phone. I was told if I have a problem to call or come in. I was also told that I have bacteria in my urine. Who knows what kind. I do have some burning at the end but I am going to drink some cranberry juice to see if I can get rid of it instead of a antibiotic. Been on to many the last 6 month's

I have to have blood work again in 6 weeksIf it does not get better I may have to go into the hospital to get everything under control. We will see.

Take care all. Ken

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ken, I was on Lipitor (statin) for many years, for high cholesterol. I made severe changes to my diet a little over 3 years ago and, at the same time, took myself off of the Lipitor. I stopped gluten, sugar, and recently also stopped dairy. I had some other health issues with autoimmune diseases and adopted this diet as an anti-inflammation diet. I am 6'4" and dropped from 210 to 165. I didn't make the diet change to lose weight, but figured if I was eating the healthiest I could, lets see where my weight goes. It now seems to have leveled off between 165 and 170. My cholesterol came down but it still is not as low as it was on the Lipitor. Muscle cramps seem to be the biggest side effects I've read about, but never experienced. At the time I stopped, there were reports of statins (Lipitor) causing memory loss. My father had Alzheimers when he died and my mom has dementia today. That was why I stopped the Lipitor. I will maintain the diet but also see a cardiologist for monitoring my circulatory system. Current research says no connection between statins and memory loss. I'm not sure. Good luck with your current situation. Six weeks does not seem long enough to try the Lipitor? Take care of yourself. Bob

• Posted

I'm doing go with my diet. I'm 185 but I guess it is what I'm eating. I will just have to do what I can.......

Thank you Ken

• Posted

mine was slightly high long time ago. doc put me in simvastin. started pumping out kidney stones.

• Posted

I hope I don't get stones. I had them before. When I was 340 my cholesterol was good so don't know what is going on .

Thanks........Ken.

• Posted

Ken:

For the UTI, in addition to the cranberry juice try D-Mannose (readily available on Amazon). Also, buy the UTI strips sold on ebay (Siemens Multistix 10 SG at about $20 for 100). It's very easy to check your urine once or so a day with these strips. I recently had a UTI caused by e-Coli and the effect on my bladder caused the worst internal pain I've ever experienced (not to mention the near AUR that can lead to kidney problems).

Good luck.

• Posted

Is your urine cloudy ? If it is, you have too many bacteria. If you have other symptoms, you may have UTI. My urine is often cloudy, from self cathing, but with no other symptoms. I found out that I can make it clear by eating raw, crushed garlic.

• Posted

Hi Hank:

I've been wondering about cloudy urine. Sometimes my urine is cloudy in the evening. When I test the cloudy urine with Siemens urine dipsticks, the leukocytes and nitrites test as negative. However, the pH is 6 or above. So I've been wondering if cloudy urine can also be caused by higher pH. All of my clear urine test results show a pH of 5.

• Posted

Yes, cloudy urine means bacteria, and bacteria raise pH level and also thrive in high pH environment. If you kill off bacteria, your urine will have lower pH and be clearer. You can also kill bacteria if you can lower your urine pH level, by making it more acidic, somehow.

• Posted

I've read that urine pH of 5 or lower will kill most bacteria, not sure about ecoli though.

• Posted

Hank I will have to look next time. I don't know if it is cloudy. Thank you Ken

• Posted

I was on lipitor for over ten years.. low dose... i got to the point I could not raise my arms above my shoulders i was changed to Crestor and so far so good, Taking only 10mg a day.. It keeps my cholesterol around 210-220 ratio 3 to 1IF I remember to take it everyday the level will drop to 190... I have gone off statins twice and my numbers jumped to over 300 in six weeks or so.

Before taking these two statins plus one more I was on Hytrin which is a blood pressure medicine. It lowered my cholesterol but dropped my blood pressure to low... Had to change. I have never had blood pressure issues, but that might be a good medicine if one did have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

• Posted

Ed, cholesterol level above 300! What is your diet like ? 😮

• Posted

I haven't seen anywhere that Hytrin (terazosin) can lower cholesterol. Hmmm.

• Posted

Ed

I will have to see. I never had a problem with high cholesterol even when I was heavy. No blood pressure pills for years. That has been good. I am going to watch when I take this to many side effects.

ThanksKen

• Posted

my father had high Cholesterol also. My diet is normal for most people. I am 76 years old and active.

• Posted

The study was on individuals taking Hytrin for high blood pressure. A good number of the individuals reported a drop in their cholesterol.. It keep my level at 240 which under todays guidelines would not work. My ratio has always been good

• Posted

Your gene pool must make the difference. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hey Ed

Thank you. I hope things get better. We will see.

Ken

• Posted

Yes, some people are more prone regardless of diets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.