Doctors Visit

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all

I went to my GP on Wednesday and got a talking to. He was very proud of me that I have kept my weight down. Only gained 5 pounds from last year. I was also shock that he did a prostate check. First time in 10 years. He did say it was fine. He was going to send me for blood work but I did it last Friday. They did not send it to him. He had to call for the results.

Well I guess it was not to good. He put me on Atorvastatin 40 mg ( Lipitor ) for high cholesterol. Even when I was overweight my cholesterol was always good. This pill has a lot of side effects. Has anyone ever been on it. And how did you do with it.

I called to see way and I guess I have some other stuff that is not good. It is either to high or to low. I will see when I get the paper work in the mail. The nurse tried to tell me about it but I could not understand her on the phone. I was told if I have a problem to call or come in. I was also told that I have bacteria in my urine. Who knows what kind. I do have some burning at the end but I am going to drink some cranberry juice to see if I can get rid of it instead of a antibiotic. Been on to many the last 6 month's

I have to have blood work again in 6 weeksIf it does not get better I may have to go into the hospital to get everything under control. We will see.

Take care all. Ken

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ken,

I was on Simvastatin and Pravastin for years and suffered sever muscle cramping, especially at night. Finally got my doc to switch to Rosuvastatin (Crestor). I am now taking 5 mg of Rosuvastatin and my total cholesterol is at 128 with no side effects.

Regarding the UTI, beware if the doctor recommends Cipro or any other Fluoroquinolones . They have many nasty side effects like tendon tears, extreme muscle cramping and aorta enlargement. Please google the side effects. Cipro has been banned in Europe except for cases of extreme need.

Best,

Henry

• Posted

I do want to hold of on the Antibiotic.

Had 5 infections of some kind last year. Also past some stones. Been on a lot of them.Was on Cipro or Bactrim and there was another one don't remember.

When I'm on any medication I watch for the side effects.

Thanks Henry....Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken - I have the same burning at the tip of the penis. My urine tests almost always show irritation but rarely a UTI. I take AZO Urinary Tract Defense Antibacterial Protection - 2 pills twice a day and it helps a lot. You can get it at any drug store. Also I put ice on the tip and it helps too. Good luck pal. Howard

• Posted

Thanks Howard

I have seen it at Walmart's. Have to get it and try it. Better then going to the doctor.

• Posted

try CO Q 10 as a supplement . statin drugs reduce levels which can cause muscle pain.

• Posted

Thank you Aaron

I will see if I can get some. Never here of it.

Best wishes...Ken

• Posted

you can get it at any drugstore or wholefoods.

groceries have it also.

i would recommend ubiquinol which is the most bioavailable form of CoQ10

• Posted

I have been on 10mg simvastatin (generic Zocor) since 2010. Never had any side effects. Got my cholesterol down from the 220-240 range to 190. A few years ago I started a daily dose of psyllium husks (mixed in 8 oz of water/grape juice.) This dropped my cholesterol another 20 points. My most recent test last summer was 166 total and 85 LDL. I am a runner so my HDL is always good and I'm pretty slim.

If you have side-effects from Lipitor, try a different statin. There are maybe 5 of them. You may find one you can tolerate. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Lee

Thank you. I'm hoping after the 6 weeks I will not have to take any more of the pills.

We will see. I just hope the blood work is improved

Have a great day.......Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.