Does anxiety get worse the first couple of weeks on sertraline/

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on sertraline for 7 days now. I have 75mgs of Trazadone to help me sleep but the anxiety is unbelievable sometimes. Does this go away? I am on the medication for a bad anxiety and PTSD? Could use some encouragement that it will get better.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it will but it might take a few weeks. It took me into week 7 for anxiety relief. I did have to go up to 100 into my 4 month but glad I did. I occasionally have a bad day but glad I went on this med.
  • Posted

It sure does. Everything seems to get worse before it gets better and apparently that’s a sign that the medication is working. It’s so hard I know, my doctor prescribed Valium to get me through bad days and I honestly couldn’t have got this far without them. But stay strong, it will be worth every anxious moment ❤️
    • Posted

Did you get chills at all at the back of your arms and upper back?
    • Posted

Sure did. My anxiety/panic used to start at my feet, go up my legs and arms, across my back. I’d break out in a sweat and get horrible tingling. Absolutely awful. But it goes away!!! Stay strong. Truly it’s gonna be worth it 😀

• Posted

So my psychiatrist and. She acted surprised that I was having more anxiety starting sertraline 50mgs.
    • Posted

Wow. Maybe she needs to look at most of the posts on here to see what people go through. It would be unusual not to have increased anxiety 😀

• Posted

Was your anxiety worse in the morning?
    • Posted

Hi Karin,

I have been on 50mg Sertraline for the past 5 days. I have also had the waves of anxiety like you all over my body. But the last two days have been absolutely horrific anxiety wise. All day today and yesterday I have been suicidal. Is this just too extreme my symptoms? Should I just give it longer or is this a serious sign that I should completely stop this medication? Would appreciate your advice thank you.

• Posted

hi linda unfortunately it gets so much worse before it gets better and my doctor knew that and thats why she prescribed valium so i could get through those first few horrendeous weeks. i ended up in hospital my panic was so bad. but please go back to your doctor/psychiatrist and tell them exactly how you are feeling. they will work out whats best for you. its a tough road we are on. but it really does get better. its just a very painstakingly slow process ❤

• Posted

Hi Karin thank you so much for your advice. I have however found it too much to bear suicidal with the anxiety. I think a doctor years ago told me I can't tolerate SSRI's. I am starting Amitryptyline tomorrow it is an older TCA antidepressant. I was also on Citalopram too which made me much worse and suicidal.

• Posted

karin it is three weeks tomorrow the anxiety today is over the top just took my 2nd klonopin, how long till anxiety dies down?

• Posted

hi lynn . everyone is different i guess but i was still taking valium at 5 weeks, couldnt bear to be alone, wanted to give up. now at 8 weeks and my husband has gone overseas for 2 weeks with work and im fine on my own. im driving into town, shopping, getting closer to feeling normal. never thought it would happen. its a long tough emotionally draining road but we just keep hoping xx

• Posted

hi linda , so sorry to hear this but hopefully this different med will be the one for you. wishing you better days xx

• Posted

thanks Karin my husband was away 5 days last week and it was hard.

• Posted

Thank you Karin yes I seem to be not good at all on SSRI's. Amitryptyline is suppose to be a good TCA. All the best to you Karen glad you got through it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.