DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SUCCESS STORY TO SHARE

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi there,

I am chiarian and waiting for my surgery...I read this story..seems that majority of this members although they are having surgery but they still having symptom ...is there any of you..that have symptom free at all or what you call it..SUCCESS STORY?? can you please share with us..or even you have your life back after decompression surgery..I really would like to hear from any of you...thank you in advance..

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would say that my decompression surgery was a success.

I had three(3) surgeries because the doctors saw that I had Syringomyeila around 15 years old (around 1997) 1) decompression 2) scar tissue removal 3) placing a VP shunt.  I had no pain and no medications up until I hit the back of my head when I turned 28 years old in 2012.  I was then slurring my speech. I then developed double vision and urination problems (hard to drain my bladder). In 2015 I developed gate problems and ataxia in my limbs. I am currently just laying on my bed because I do not want to fall anymore and hurt myself and it’s really difficult to feed myself. To this day, I don’t know if these symptoms habe anything to do with me having Chiari. 

• Posted

Dear Justinlowe,

I am sorry to hear your news, it must be terrible though, are you living in the UK, QE Hospital was voted to be the best neuro in the UK (Birmingham) try to get the doctor to refer you there, otherwise, if you are in the US..try to get information from MAYO clinic - I personally do believe so that your symptom if due to chiari..think about it..you do not know how long the brain being squeeze due to herniation..that itself damaging the nerves around the brain (GOD knows - what else ...) so be firm to your health care professional but pleading you need them to help you.... ITS DEFINATELY CHIARI'S SYMPTOM

• Posted

Hi. I feel it has similar symptoms too. It’s just hard for me to understand because I did not have any of these symptoms when I was a teenager, when I first found out I had Chiari 1 malformation. I live in California, US. I had a good doctor that understood that then, that gave me a symptom free and drug free life for 20 years. Now it’s hard to get the doctors to look into it. I have lots of MRIs of that area, to be looked at. Luckily, I get to see a  Neurologists on Friday, I will see what he/she has to says. 
    • Posted

Hi Justin,

Just make sure you be so assertive tell them how suffering you are, and ask them to help you - I would get decompression if I were you giving the chance or if they do not give you suggestion.ask for it.as it is only going to get worse..let us know how you are getting on

• Posted

Yes, I know, I will get the surgery if that’s what’s needed. We’ll see. I am hoping it’s just another decompression surgery that I need. That’s causing these symptoms. I don’t know yet until tomorrow, so I will find out and let you and everybody know, what’s going on.  The only thing I have to go on, is that my fourth ventricle is enlarged (which was only found by a neurosurgeon, when I pointed it out to him) giving me a trapped/isolated fourth ventricle. which is a risky surgery because it is so close to the brain stem. And I was told that it did not produce these symptoms, which I found how is false. 
    • Posted

I just got back from the appointment at the neurologist. It was a joke, he came in wanting me to do exercises for my balance and get surgery for my eyes (double vision). He did not look at my MRIs and he did not look into it. He says it’s a developmental thing, but I had that treated in the 90s. He just wants me to see a Nero-ophthalmologist for my so called double vision.  I need to find somebody that will look in to my symptoms. I really don’t want to go to another state, because I have no way to get there. 
    • Posted

It says your post has been deleted. So, I can’t see it! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.