Does anyone else do self internals post repair op?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. This is my first post on here. I had a total hysterectomy, an A&P, and a TVT 4weeks ago. As you can imagine it's not pleasant. One of my questions is - do any of you have to give yourselves intervals? My consultant specified that I would have to do this to stop from and back walk sticking togwther. Gross I know. So with great discomfort I have been doing this and can feel all my stitches which seem to be everywhere.

Like you Sarah in a previous post I have had a bit of a smell and lots of discharge. I went to Gp's and they took a swab. Awaiting results. But I am struggling to sit down. I was ok at beginning but I've had a mirror out looking and I have swelling and what looks like friction areas either side of my vulva next to my perineum stitches. The gp thinks the stitch is causing the discomfort as its tight. I feel like I'm getting worse instead of better but then read on here that this is normal. I'm also very weepy and have started on hrt so I'm all over the place.

I was given a guide sheet of what you can do each week and sex being 4 weeks my hubby keeps joking that it's now 4 weeks. But I keep telling him the sheet is for hysterectomy NOT A&P repair!!!! He's been great and not pressuring at all. But I can't help feel I wasn't given the right info regarding the additional ops I was having aswell. 3 procedures in 1 is a big deal and info is very vague.

Hope this post is ok. 😊

0 Reply

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That was meant to say internals NOT intervals. Sorry.
  • Posted

Matron, I was not told to do this is it correct or is it because this lady has had three proceduresΒ 
    • Posted

I always thought that was why we had a pack inserted just after the op to stop the internal walls knitting together while wound still raw and bleeding. Thought once pack out the wound would be clotting and unlikely to knit together.

??? Don't really know though!

Phyl x☺

• Posted

I wasn't instructed to do this chic, in fact she told me to leave it alone, I had an infection at two weeks were they had a look and didn't mention anything.

the poor lady is having to do this daily she has had a hystorectomy and Antirior, matron will confirm

• Posted

I would be scared of infection, even though we wash our hands before and after!
    • Posted

I had been doing it daily for first 2 weeks then I rang my consultants secretary who said 2-3 times a week was enough. So that isn't as bad as it was. I'm not due to see him until June 17th which seems forever away!! Strange how no one else has been told this.
    • Posted

I wear gloves as I was scared of that too and also I have long nails
    • Posted

Are you in the uk were did you have operation done?
    • Posted

yes me to, your nails are full f infection, it carnet be pleasent for F1-45, there is so much conflicting information don't you think
    • Posted

Omg Lv I feel for you, the pain for me is bad enough without having to do what you are doing , big hugs xxxx
    • Posted

If I were told that I would wear gloves too, must be very uncomfortable. I had hysterectomy and anterior 3 years ago and it was very tightly sewed up, no way could I have done internas early on could barely see opening.

This time A&P repair, not so tightly done this time only checked a couple of times to see if swelling going down, and only after good few weeks.

Can't begin to imagine how uncomfortable thus must be.

When my first born was weeks old he developed a bowel hernia wasn't feeding properly and being very sick. They took him in for bowel surgery, they said his bowel wad far too narrow. So they fixed the hernia and widened the bowel, they had a clear lipstick shaped stick that had to be inserted in the bowel every nappy change and they would not let me take him home until I could do it myself.

I hated having to do it and the nursing sister from the unit came in every day to check I was doing it.

As he got bigger and moved onto mixed feeding had to mix bran through everything.

Looking back that was too make sure it stayed stretched and probably to stop the walls knitting together, must have been do painful.

Phyl xπŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•

• Posted

Oh Phyl that sound horrible. Your poor son and poor you for having to do it. I have to have bowel surgery for my bowel prolapse once I've recovered from this. I'm dreading that one more than I did this op.
    • Posted

Must admit never heard of having to do internals for pelvic floor repair or hysterectomy, would have thought that would be high risk of infection, on the positive side at least you'll know for sure it won't be stuck together, too short or too narrow.

Have heard that has happened to some on the forum.

Anyhow hope you do not need to do this for too much longer. Look after yourself, take care,

πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.