Does anyone else have physical anxiety symptoms 24/7

Posted , 175 users are following.

Hi. I just wondered if what I'm experiencing is normal. For the past 2-3 months I've had constant anxiety symptoms. I'm not just talking anxious thoughts (although I have those all the time), I'm talking physical symptoms. All day long, I have a horrible tightness in my chest, butterflies in my stomach, dry mouth, internal shaking in my legs and adrenaline rushes up and down my body. I can't control the symptoms, no matter how hard I try. When it first hit, it was different. I had constant nausea & a general feeling of not being able to cope. But I could switch out of it sometimes and feel normal. Now I can never switch out of it. It's there all the time, although the nausea has stopped. I even have it in my sleep because I've actually felt it in my dreams and when I wake up, it's still there. (Not that I can sleep much in this state. 5 hours is the most I ever have.) I'm on Citalopram but if anything, it's made my anxiety worse. The leg symptoms weren't there before I went on the drug and nor was the chest tightness.

29 likes, 241 replies

241 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ben. I know what your going through I had a rough ride last summer with anxiety. It took me a about 5 months to get through it. I'm now on citalopram, it starts to work about six weeks.I can feel myself getting symptoms of anxiety but not as bad as it was. I'm now left with what I think is a anxiety disorder.I worry about this and get stressed very easily which doesn't help. I found running helps only moderate at first. When my anxiety was at it worst I couldn't go outside or be left by self as it was scary stuff, the physical affects scared me the most.what you have to is just try to crack on don't worry it will pass in time..
  • Posted

Thanks for ur replies ken and jim, i cant seem to do everyday things i have just stopped going out completly i had a very bad episode in may and im still feeling the effects now. I cant concentrate on normal things like tv or reading, combined with not going out that leaves me with nothing to do with my time its horrible. Ive tryed meds but if im honest i self medicate with alcohol when things get too bad. I cant take the physical symtems, ive been suffering from anxiety since i was 17 its gotten worse over the last 5 years im 27 now.
  • Posted

P.s Im on mirtazapine 30mg but i do skip them when i drink alcohol i know i shouldnt.
  • Posted

Ben you need to give up on alcohol and keep on the meds pal. I know its hard and scary stuff. Can I ask what your symptoms are. Do you get brain fog and constant ringing in your years, whats your average nights sleep. When My anxiety was bad I had constant ringin going in my ears, brain fog, unbelievable constant dizziness. This went on for months and really did scare me. I was told that my serotonin levels had been depleted hence why I was put on meds. When I get stressed or start to worry about nothing for long amounts of time it starts to flare up but hopefully I don't have a relapse and go to how I was back in August. Do you believe it is anxiety?? I didn't at first and my hardest problem was excepting I had anxiety or an anxiety disorder.. Do you have anyone who you can talk to...
  • Posted

Under no circumstances must you miss your medication even a couple of days without a dose of 30mg can send you into a spiral of depression. Perhaps you have depression rather than anxiety/stress. Alcohol may help initially make you feel better but it adds to your problems in the long run. Your feelings are incredibly difficult to cope with but speak to our Doctor and do not miss meds you are holding back any progress in doing so. Good luck for the future x PS good advice from Jim
  • Posted

hi Ben,

The situation your in is exactly what i went through/ going through,

Basically i used to have a lifestyle of taking recreational drugs and drinking alot,,i developed into a nervous wreck so badly that i had to get help,,but no matter what i did the constant anxiety and fear wouldn't go away.

i was 20 years old and i was put on all sorts of different anti depressants to find the one that worked,which ended up being citalopram,,but even though it helped slightly,i took the only medicine that completely freed me and that was alcohol..i eventually gave up hope and my drinking went out of control,i became anti social when i used to be the most confident person you could ever meet,i became a full blown alcoholic because of my anxiety,,i nearly lost everything.

I was diagnosed with GAD(Generalized anxiety disorder).basically i don't want to go on and on about myself here,but after 5 years of this terrible existence, i managed to get sober with the support of professionals not to mention my family.i'm now nearly 5 years sober and on a combination of different meds,,,one being mirtazapine,,trust me the alcohol will only make you a million times worse,and you've go to stop completely, which is difficult enough, but with the right help you can do it..another 5 years on i'm 30 and the best i've been in my life,there is hope mate,..i would highly recommend you give up the drink,otherwise that's the only medicine you will rely on and the real meds won't help you..as they'll be fighting against each other..A very good physical reliever is a drug call inderal or propranolol as its known,it's a beta blocker which has fantastic results,i wouldn't recommend benzo's but they have helped me greatly too,,but you need to talk to a psychiatrist and tell him/her everything,..they will help you buddy,there is light at the end of the tunnel..good luck mate, try giving the booze a miss and stick to your meds.

• Posted

Fantastic and honest advice from Kenny. The best help you can be given is your own and your own worst enemy is yourself. Contradictions there but that's the point. You have to want to change. Take small steps and see the difference. Drink and drugs are self destruct buttons and wont help. Live the life you have been given to the best of your abilities and don't beat yourself up for being a sensitive soul. A sensitive soil is a wonderful thing once it is functioning well. Good luck x
  • Edited

I know this sounds awful but you are def not alone I've been feeling ill sore throat neck ache for about 3

Months and. I didn't think it could be anxiety until I had an attack that seem to last hours but every day seems to be a constant struggle and I just never ever think of anything but my self and that I must be really ill

Reading other peoples worries is helping and I feel glad that I may be able to help just one person by saying tthat together we may be able to conquer this horrible illness

• Posted

Anxiety can be a terrible thing, I've now been suffering with this horrible thing for four months now, I've had some major lows, first of all I was convinced I had a brain tumour through the head aches and pressure I was getting, then all of a sudden I was convinced I had something wrong with my kidneys then my heart then my bowels, I've been convinced I've had bowels cancer for over a month!

after plenty of reassurance from my Gp's etc.... I had a great few days Saturday to Thursday then BANG it hit me all over again to the point were I was convinced that I again have bowels cancer & a brain tumour (how unlucky can a person be), this anxiety is a really difficult thing to deal with but I'm hoping with the medication, cbt, and reassurance from my Gp's I will over come this, I feel every ache and pain is a new illness, hopefully in time this will all go away, I have to admit even with the dr's reassurance it's always in my mind what if their wrong what if their wrong, hopefully as I've said this will all be forgotten SOONER THE BETTER

• Posted

Hello all, I have not been diagnosed by my GP as having health anxiety but on research i know i have. My latest thoughts are that i will have a stroke at some point as i have pulsating tinnitus which has got worse also so much pressure in my head and really bad headaches i also get woken up with a loud pulsing in my head which i assume is my blood trying to get round but maybe getting blocked. I cant blame high blood pressure cos mine is low and can dip too low at times. I did have a CT scan last year for the tinnitus which proved clear but what about the loud pulsing that wakes me ? Unfortunately my GP gives me the impression he has no time for me so I can only go back to him in an emergency. Jim i can so relate to you, i hope your ok and getting through this better than you was. take care all x
  • Posted

Hi Anxiousface,

Still suffering when will it all go have had a terrible day with tremor and bad head won't be long before bed trying to hang it out a bit.I do in fact sleep except when the head wakes me up.I know what some GP are like mine is quiet good except wants me to take meds. but don't want to.Do you take anything?

• Posted

Hello! I have anxiety for over a year, it started with a full blown panic atack,and another one after the next day.my phisycal symptoms were terrible.i though i was dealing with a dadly sicknes that nobody can figure it out.i had numbness, tingling,all over, weakness , pulpation, chest pain,problems with vision, ringing in my ears, headache,diarrea, lightheaded,sleard speach.etc.i have done every test posible. Still have symtoms but i take xanax when needed. I know is hard and the worst thing is you cant depend on medication has to do a lot how much you pay attention to the symptoms.my life is not the same, but ill not go to emergency room for every symptom i have, cause i done it and was bad idea.now i follow with my gp and if she says you are ok then you belive that you are ok.god bless everyone.
  • Posted

I have just experienced a week of severe panic attacks for the first time in my life although suffering with depression for the past 40 years. This seems to be different to the depression and I have no idea how to cope with the physical symptoms-sickness, erratic breathing, stomach cramps and the terror and fear.

It is so stupid because I know the reason why this started is so trivial and unexplainable, people related.

I am not taking any medication or having any counselling, I have had years of therapy,(inc CBT) and antidepressants in the past and you just learn to keep going.

I am not living a 'life' only existing and of course have had suicidal thoughts, just because I do not want to live in constant daily pain.

I cannot replace my fearful thoughts with anything nice or positive as I feel as if I have lost my mind and cannot think of anything joyful.

I do not have any friends or family around or anything to distract me from my latest thoughts which seems to have taken over my life. I cannot relax or function normally and for the first time in my life had to leave home to obtain a good nights sleep at my aged mothers house.

It would be lovely to have the support of a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist but know this is unobtainable.

How do people cope with the daily pain and constant fear.

• Posted

Dear pamela01540,

It is very important to see a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrists in this occasion. Together with your doctor you will deal with the source/reasons of your panic attacks and depression and with his/her help whether it is counselling, psychotherapy or medication, your simptoms will improve and the problems you are facing will be reduced and gone. I know what you are going through and in these cases the help of a professional is neccesary. The problems you are dealing with may seem uncontrollable but believe me that with the help of a professional you will see an improvement. All the best for you from Trina (clinical psychology practitioner, MSc. Clinical and Health Psychology)

• Posted

Hi

i became uwell last November out of the blue for no apparent reason. felt strange lightheadness slow heart rate then fast cold sweats and shakes. since then ivd beem lightheaddd every day.my daily life is effected can't work proper.i nearly collapse at times.I've been in hosp 5 times been in ccu one nite .i do have irregular heartbeat but nothing dangerous I'm told ivd had lots tests done all clear.I'm at wits end now I've been on baby dose beta block which knocked socks of me.i went t gp and asked if he csn diagnosis me with anxiety he said no coz he thinks its secondary to whatever causing my symptoms

he doesn't know.so I'm goin to hypnotherapy /pscyotherapist tomorrow for some cbt.I'm desperate now I've also been on passiflora tincture for 2wks whicg i think helling. my doc prescribed citolopram 10 mg but I'm afraid to take it at mo.anyone else suffer same??

• Posted

Hi pipps, please can you tell me.How you got on after your lightheadedness and anxiety etc? Did you start the pills did they work? Hope.You.are well now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.