Does anyone else's appetite increase when they have a UC FLARE?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am currently experiencing a flare , I am going to the toilet 10 times a day and twice in the night, diarrhoea with blood and mucus.

Usually this cause my appetite to decrease but this time I feel hungry most of the time?

Does this happen to anyone else?

Ali

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Ali13880

I had similar problem, it was related to diet, mostly gluten. Have you tried diet ellimination process to see what is casuing it?

• Posted

Hi ehsan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have eliminated meat and diary and gluten for periods of time, it's been difficult to know exactly what helps because I was taking steroids and pentasa at that time.

I've stopped the pentasa as it was causing my hair to fall out.

I've had three flares since diagnosed last year. I've just found out about a diet called gaps nutrition, gaps stands for guts and psychology syndrome, I've read that it heals ulcerative colitis amongst many other diseases. I've just ordered the book, you start with a 6 wk intro diet, then the full gaps diet which heals the gut, you then start to introduce foods that have been eliminated but obviously you continue to eat as healthily and naturally as possible.

I'm excited about getting started with it.

The increase in my appetite lately is a new symptom, I wondered whether it was due to the fatigue that is part of UC, maybe my bodies way of trying to give me energy.

Take care

• Posted

Are you on steroids? they increase appetite.
    • Posted

Hi sheila,

No I'm not on steroids or any meds for that matter. The uc meds were making my hair fall out.

• Posted

Hi Ali. If you are having a flare, you really should be on some kind of meds to help reduce it to remission again, as your intestines can be damaged if left untreated, not to mention all the horrible symptoms that come with it. I find my appetite wains a bit when I'm flaring, but try to drink 1% fat milk to replace brekkie if I really don't feel like eating, plus milk is a nutritious food in liquid form. I am usually hungry by evening enough to have a normal meal. I would contact your IBD nurse or gastroenterologist immediately if you are having a flare for some sort of medication & poss steroids to calm your flare. There are many other alternatives to pentasa. They may also want to do a colonoscopy to see the extent of your current flare. xx

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to message me.

I will make an apt with the doctor tomorrow

smile

• Posted

I feel as though i could eat nonstop.

The blood and the mucus is brutal and i feel your pain Ali.

i find once i eat my energy reserves go up a quite abit.

i eat what i want but started to fell crappy after eating bread , eggs,chocolate and back on the cigs after 15yrs. That was the last time i had a flare.

i may invest in your book also as anything to get a grip of this disease. 

Let us know how you get on with it and keep yourself busy. I find it helps.

• Posted

Hi Rymbo ,

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting annoyed with myself for never feeling satisfied hunger wise.

I've been to the loo atleast 8 times already today and 3 times during last night.

I feel like I need to go constantly. I'll keep this post updated as to how the gaps diet goes

Take care

• Posted

Ali you need to get on the meds .

this wont go away on it's own.

i take pentasa 1g a day for 15 yrs . But now on colofoam and prednisolone.

You need to get it looked at before some damage is done.

Tackle the problem from both ends so to speak.

get well soon .

• Posted

Hi ali, there are loads of meds, dosage and combinations. Do take care to keep hydrated and protect yourself from anaemia and being malnourished. The speed of transit through the guts stops the meds and food being absorbed. If you end up going to the loo even more frequently you may need to go in to go on a drip. Don't take risks, if you lose loads of weight etc your organs can start to close down. My son stopped eating as he was in so much pain and ended up in A&E just in time to save him.

Also Vit b is useful for helping with hair loss, esp Biotin, chemists sell a liquid multi vit with iron which is easier to digest. Good luck.  

• Posted

Thanks sheila,

I plan to go see a doctor tomorrow for some oral steroids.

I try to drink 2 litres of water daily.

I don't have any problems not eating, I feel hungry all the time.

I'm really sorry your son has been suffering. I hope he is okay now! !

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Ali, good news on the doctor appt.

He ate then stopped eating and then ate loads as he was being sociable and it was christmas. He hit the wall during the night and was in a bad way. He was on a reducing  dose of steroidsand taking anti imflamatories but his UC was out of control and he perforated in his colon. He had an ileostomy and once he had healed he had a reversal and J pouch. He was one of the unlucky third who go straight to severe. All is good now as he is disease free and put on the 3 stone he lost and is able to live a normal life. i still write on here as i came looking for help when he was so ill and then to ask about J pouch surgery and then to tell people how well it worked for him. It all took 18 months beginning to end. He is fit again and rebuilt his muscle that wasted away and plays sports. So glad for him, it is a bitch of disease and it came so quickly out of the blue. i hope they continue to research for a "cure". Good luck. sheila.

• Posted

Oh gosh, he was seriously ill then!!

That must have been horrendous for your whole family.

I'm really pleased your son is well now.

My husband is not very understanding regarding how tired I get when I'm having a flare.

It's nice to talk to people who have experienced similar problems to me.

Godbless you and your family

smile

• Posted

Hi Ali

You mentioned about bread? That may contribute to the flare up as it did in my case. I think you are on the right track with natural healing (together with medical healing) but it WILL take time and you have to be patient.

Cheers

Ehsan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.