Does anyone find taking vitamin D capsules turn their stool black?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Ive been taking Vitamin D capsules for a few months and noticed my stools are darker , sometimes even black. I've heard of this when you take iron supplements but not sure about VD. It has me concerned because black stool prior to this resulted in 2 colon polyps being removed but I'm not due for another colonoscopy for 2 years. I wondered if anyone else has experienced black stool while taking VD. I take 2000 IUs a day?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes carol7212 I too seem to find that happening. I just started VD3 1000 about 1 week. I'm glad to know someone else is having this as well. Louzell

• Posted

Hi Louzell, well now I'm glad to know too, that someone else is having this. lol

• Posted

I took a 60000 IU capsule last night and my stool is dark today.

I got paranoid as I have a history of ulcerative colitis.

So its a relief to know that this happens and I'm not necessarily bleeding.

• Posted

Hi bh66

Yes I can see why you might be paranoid since you've had a history with ulcerative colitis.

Ever since I've taken Vitamin D supplement I've had black stool consistently. It seems to go hand in hand so I wouldn't worry too much that it's bleeding.

You can consult a doctor if it bothers you a lot but black stool is a given when taking Vitamin D.

• Posted

i take iron pills and i started taking Vitamin d and i went to the bathroom and my poop was black i dont like when i have black poops if i still have black poops i will go to my stomach doctor

• Posted

Vitamin tablets have that effect on stools. Too much sugar causes diabetes. Fats could it harder to get stools out of the system.

• Posted

I'm so glad I came on this page as I was getting really concerned about the colour of my poo ! Dark grey/black. The only thing I've taken different is vit D for about 2 months. Such a relief to know it's not just me.

• Posted

Hi L,

I started noticing that my stools appeared dark brown/ black about a month after starting the Vitamin D.

Since not long after that I had asked my doctor about it and he said the vitamin could definitely do that so needless to say I was quite relieved.

You should always get things checked out however just to be sure.. but I'm glad you've found relief knowing it's very possible the Vitamin D is the cause of your differing stool color.

It was for me lol.

• Posted

Many thanks for your response, Carol. I feel very relieved that other people have the same experience with vitamin d. I shall be doing a bowel cancer test next month, just to be on the safe side.

• Posted

thank you for this post as I too was worried! I will still get a test but I feel much better having read this. can I up the anti? has anyone had black stools that look like chopped up grass??

• Posted

Hi Nikita,

Glad you feel better seeing that other people have experienced dark color poo while taking Vitamin D.

As for the look of chopped up grass I can't say as I personally have, but I have a friend who once mentioned she had very dark stool that looked like shredded grass. Her doctor didn't really know but said it cud have been caused by anything green she had eaten in a few days prior.

• Posted

thank goodness i stumbled across this site as i was going crazy with worry due to black stool. i have also been on prescribed vitamin D capsules for the last 6 weeks

So reassuring others have had the same

• Posted

It's definitely reassuring!

People always tend to think the worse and worry themselves sick.

I have a few friends who are currently taking Vitamin D and their stools are now black .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.