Does anyone find taking vitamin D capsules turn their stool black?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Ive been taking Vitamin D capsules for a few months and noticed my stools are darker , sometimes even black. I've heard of this when you take iron supplements but not sure about VD. It has me concerned because black stool prior to this resulted in 2 colon polyps being removed but I'm not due for another colonoscopy for 2 years. I wondered if anyone else has experienced black stool while taking VD. I take 2000 IUs a day?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi everyone -

After reading this, has calmed be down.

I had my bloods test few weeks ago, and it came back inadequate - i.e. im just under.

So from Saturday 17th June 2023 - i started to take this natural Vitamin D3+K2 2,000 Units till today. And today I have noticed my stools to be partly black-ish and flaky-ish. I did consume over a handful of blueberries too. I have this paranoia, as previously I had some stomach issues like a dull ache (been tested for FIT test all fine, dr ruling it as 'IBS'), but im just anxious about this stool, like when will it disappear? what foods do i need to consume to return back to normal texture, colour?

Any advice greatly appreciate it,

Best wishes,

Gavin

• Edited

Hi Gavin,

Sorry but I don't truly recall how long my stool remained blackish when taking Vitamin D3. It seems to me that after a few weeks when it wasn't so new to my system, it returned to normal. I was paranoid too because I had colon polyps in the past so when I seen the stool color darken I was quite concerned.

Then I found out that taking Vitamin D3 can also be a cause.

I'm not sure if there are any particular foods to bring your stool back to normal color and texture. By the way mine was flaky- ish also at the time.

I think once your system has become use to the supplements the dark color and flaky texture will subside. Give it perhaps a few weeks.

Cheers,

Carol

• Posted

hey carol sorry too message 7 years later but i just recently started taking 1000 iu vitamin d3 and its been about a week of me taking it and ive started too notice my stool gets darker blackish grey i guess you could say, did your symptoms ever go away while taking vd3 like did your body ever get used too it, please let me know!

• Posted

Hey Terrance,

7 years wow ! Time really does fly lol.

As I recall the blackish flaky stools disappeared after a month or so of starting the Vitamin D3. By disappeared I mean they returned to the normal brown color and normal texture.

I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you since you say you've only recently began taking it. I had asked a few people I know who had began with the D3 and they had the same thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.