Does anyone have a post op check?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello ladies. I've been reading through some of the recent posts and reading angela's comments today made me wonder just how many ladies have a post op check with their urogynaecologist (not the GP) and if they do when? Ladies who know me know my interest in research and it's something I would like to look into and try and address if I find it's not happening and more importantly why. Financial restraints could be a reason but I could be wrong. I know it's happening in my NHS Trust and naively thought it did everywhere. I'd be grateful if you could help. Many thanks x

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello

I had post op check with surgeon at 7.5 weeks. This included internal exam as well as questions about my health and the presenting symptoms from before surgery.

I also saw my GP voluntarily 2 or 3 times to check me when I had a worry about something. I'm in Kent, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells trust. I think it's been an excellent service. Good luck with the research

• Posted

Hi Matron,

Without checking I can't be sure but I had a post op check at about 6 - 8 weeks. Was a private patient, I don't know if that makes any difference hopefully not.

• Posted

You've brought up something I hadn't thought of, the difference between NHS and private healthcare. You are absolutely right there shouldn't be any difference but I intend to find out! 

• Posted

Well done Matron. Apart from this forum so little is spoken about this subject.

I have to say my aftercare was quite good but there was little written information. I didn't know about this forum at the time & worried myself silly going backwards & forwards to various departments trying to sort things out. Some of my worries could have been answered here but they didn't explain all the other pelvic floor problems that can arise once you have a weakness. I fully understand they don't want to put ideas in your mind but it's so much better to be well informed.

I don't know how long medical records are kept but when I asked about looking back at the damage I had following childbirth (20+ years ago) they said those records don't exist. I know I had to go back up to theatre to be repaired & had lots of stitches but I didn't ask too much about it at the time as of course I was busy with my new baby. I wish now I had a medical report of how much damage there was.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm very surprised your medical records from you gave birth aren't available. Although there are storage problems in hospitals now they are usually kept. I know my hospital records from 1990 when I had a hysterectomy are still available. Have you made a formal request to see them or were you just told verbally they aren't available? I know they don't have to keep records for over 10 years (I think) if services aren't being used but I'm sure there will be some records somewhere, perhaps copies in your GP records?

• Posted

I was just told verbally, maybe I should make a written request. I know it doesn't change anything but I wonder if it would help a surgeon in the future if/when I go ahead with further surgery? I may query this with GP when I next see him. Thanks.

• Posted

I'm sure you past medical history will be extremely useful to your consultant. Hope your GP can help.

• Posted

Interesting about records. I work for a local authority and we send records to archiving and they are kept for 25 yrs. I haven't (fortunately) had ill health (though since going over 50yrs means a new something drops off every week it seemes) and my hospital notes still are in the original buff folder with my maternity notes in too. Getting a little more used now - but it's all htere. But I have lived in the same area for 35 yrs now and had my children here too, also at the same GP surgery.

• Posted

Here in the US we are only required to keep them 7 years
    • Posted

I live about 3 miles from where I was born so haven't travelled far 🙂. Both my children were born in another county (still only 12 miles or so from home) due to first one being as a result of fertility treatment etc. I'm sure my records are around somewhere under a thick layer of dust!!

• Posted

I would be interested to hear that too as I think March is a long time to wait for post op check when I had my op end of November. Does that mean some people dont even get a check? 
    • Posted

I was told to go to my GP for post op check,he was furious,Got appointment with urogyn finally after 6 months ,,shocking
    • Posted

I've heard through this forum that yes some ladies don't get a post op check or they are told to see their GP. The problem seeing a GP is that they are rarely trained in urogynaecology and it's not only unfair to the patient but also to the doctor. Every doctor does  gynae training when they are medical students but that's about it for most of them. They obviously have the anatomy knowledge and they undertake training to be a GP but it's not urogynaecology.

• Posted

I had my op end of November and had to wait until the following  April for a post op check at the hospital and I only got that because I insisted,was told when I left the hospital post op that they don't do checks as a matter of routine anymore,have to go to your GP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.