Does anyone have any experience with white coat syndrome?

Posted , 13 users are following.

White Coat Syndrome

, anyone?

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Been told by a few docs i have it. Just some offices do it. Longer I sit and wait, worse it gets.
  • Posted

Hi yea I also have white coat syndrome, my numbers can go completely nuts, I have a very good BP monitor and had to do a full week of readings twice daily, it was slightly high first day and then next day once I had decided to just not over think it it was fine, I do it twice a week now as Dr suggested and I sit for 5 mins just sitting and its fine, have your numbers been really high
  • Posted

I'm sure I have an element of white coat syndrome especially as, like Waffalobill, if they try continuously taking it because they have a fit at the first reading, it just goes higher and higher.  Added to this I am either resistant to, or very allergic to most of the BP medicines, now on my 8th one.  Have just doubled the dose of that one as a second add-on was stopped due to a skin biopsy showing that it was responsible for a nasty 24-hour all-over itch.  Just hoping the doubled-up dose of Losartan isn't responsible for the difficult to treat and morphing UTIs I am unusually suddenly experiencing.  I have just spent a couple of days in hospital as an emergency and the interesting thing was that on admittance my blood pressure was sky high (to be expected then as I was quite poorly) but over the couple of days when they kept returning to monitor it, as they do when one is in hospital, the readings were getting lower and lower, with one being at something like 123/68 - never ever seen that result in my life.  Bit different to sitting in the surgery waiting room to be called in for a BP check and to feel the palpitations starting at the thought!  It seems the more rest I have, the lower it is but one can't be a couch potato forever!  Did once have a monitor fitted but unfortunately for some reason it didn't record the overnight readings which one consultant said was a shame as they were the important ones.  I have a home machine but just really need someone to spring a reading on me as I'm sure it goes up even for me as I get ready to take it!

• Posted

Mines been ok for a while. My knee doc retired and I have a new one. I get synvisc injections in my knee every 6 months. The new knee doc now is in a huge new building. I have no idea what it is about that place. I walk in the door my bp goes from 120/80 to 150/106. I go home and sit for a hour it's back to 120/80. They called my GP and told on me. They called my house. I took my bp with them on the phone. Was 118/70. Gp isn't worried about it. Knee doc is afraid of it going higher after the injection and me having a stroke.

• Posted

What are you using as your "home machine" bp cuff auto inflate?  what are your readings?  I cannot use that machine.  Just looking at it gives me anxiety!  Recently I switched to a wristband smartband...no stress and much success.  Feeling much better about my bp, WCS, and no need for bp meds at this time.  

• Posted

Yes, was just discussing this with my doctor and  he's convinced it's very real.  The problem lies with most professionals trying to reach to designated numbers, which constantly chnage, it's what they learn in medical school.. one size fits all, The harder they try to make the numbers fit usually the worse the bp gets.... Fear is a driving factor in this..

• Posted

Yes, I'm 27 and everytime I check bp at doctors office, my bp skyrockets. I have a good bp monitor at home and I even calibrated it with doctors barometric bp meter. It gave the exact same high values at doctors office. When I check my bp at home, they are quiet normal. I also did an ambulatory bp monitoring as well. Resuslts came out quite normal. So I stopped worrying about it anymore. 

• Posted

I can related to everything you wrote.  I did opt for a wristband smartband which links via bluetooth to my cell phone.  Amazing technology.  Reasonably prices.  Readings very consistent with my non-WSC readings.  I am not taking BP meds and doing very well.  The wristband is more comfortable and wearing it throughout the day ie it has wristwatch, hr, sleep, steps, calorie burn, and bp makes the checks uneventful...

• Posted

Probably everyone lol. I went for an endoscopy and they nearly didn't give me one as my blood pressure shot right up, it normally does increase in doctors surgeries, but that's to be expected, there's always a bit of apprehension when you are in places like this. 😁

• Posted

I am due to have an Endoscopy and know that my bp will be high as it always is in those situations - I wonder if they will do it? Am quite worried about it.
    • Posted

Almost everyone's is high before a procedure. Think it will depend on how high. I have to have a gastroscopy . Between me being hypoglycemic and having to fast, it will be high. Hope they still do it. Usually they give you something to calm you down before knocking you out.

• Posted

Hi Jill, they will probably still do it, mines was still high when they did it, they just sat me down for an extra half hour to see if there was any change, it didn't change, but they still went ahead. 👌😁

• Posted

That is reassuring- am getting myself into a right state over it. Thanks.
  • Posted

My mother has it. Although she does have high bp which is under control now with the help of medication which has been verified by many home bp readings when she goes to the doctor her blood pressure will be through the roof. She leaves the doctor's office and by the time she gets back home her bp is back down to where it should be.

• Posted

the anxiety of the bp cuff is real.  some doctors get it some do not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.