Does anyone have any experience with white coat syndrome?

Posted , 13 users are following.

White Coat Syndrome

, anyone?

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

6/18 update I picked a moderately priced Smartband and started recording my BP among other things. I am so happy to have the data to show the doctor. I moved to a different state and the new family doctor doesn't believe in WCS. She's used BP meds which made me feel sick. I stopped taking them and started wearing the Smartband. Deep sigh. Why do things need to be complicated?? Are these doctors getting a kickback from the pharmacutical companies? My WCS BP was 144/90 as I sat in a puddle of sweat completely soaked. Crazy. Just my two cents.

• Posted

Without BP meds since March 22, 2017 my BP data is back to normal 3times per day 115/80 or 117/88 range. Higher if exercising lower if sleeping. Thanks to the wristband. I find the BP cuff triggers WCS even at home whereas the wristband does not.
  • Posted

Hi - i too have white coat syndrome. As i had a stroke last year my consultant is constantly trying to get me on bp meds when he sees my high readings in clinic - can be up to 180/90. I've tried several in the past but too many side effects so haven't continued with any of them. When resting at home my blood pressure is between 110/60 and 130/75. I take it 3 times in the space of five minutes and it starts higher (can be up to 150/80) then drops to the lower level. My gp says this is fine. I'd like to know what other people get when they're exercising-!whats a reasonable reading for brisk walking etc?

• Posted

mine goes up a bit but comes down within 15 min,  i really like using a smartband,
    • Posted

Can white coat syndrome be this high ? I have anxiety and have been refusing to take medicine for it . So my blood pressure goes up and down alot . And this is something that happens to me I am at 130s at home and at doctors and when I have anxiety it goes up to 160
    • Posted

I'm not sure- my blood pressure is definitely normal at home most of the time. Yours doesn't seem particularly bad as the difference between the two isn't extreme. I've suffered with labile blood pressure for around 10 years. The problem has always been that if I take medication, the pressure can go too low and i get dizzy. I also suffer from anxiety which affects my blood pressure, making it go up very easily.

• Posted

Yes, WCS can sky rocket it, mine was 190/90 in drs the other day but I had done it at home that morning and it was fine, my HR was also well elevated as well which is part of the WCS my partners BP can be high but pulse normal, he doesn't suffer with WCS but does have hypertension

• Posted

Believe it or not, some docs office nurses don't actually take your BP the correct way. When they triage you in the ER you may have noticed they take your BP and health and insurance info with you sitting in a chair. Feet on the floor. That's the proper way. Docs offices, including my knee doc, have you sitting on the table with your legs dangling in the air. That will cause a high reading. If they take it more than once, it will only go higher.

• Posted

I agree, in my GP surgery it is taken sitting down but if you think why your there in the first place, your probably anxious any way and they definitely haven't got time to sit you down and let you chill for five mins which is what your told to do.

Also there usually talking to you or you talking to them, when I went to see cardiologist I refused BP reading he just asked why, he also asked my readings at home, I told him them, he asked if I did it regular and had I calibrated machine, I said yes twice a week and calibrated with both machines I own and the one in hallway at my DR's.

That's fine he said.

He was quite happy with that.

I think we can become fixated with numbers, if you have high BP no probs you take meds or you become clean food wise and get fit, you still need to do that even on meds.

My other half has been on enalapril and statins for 20+ years and is absolutely fine, but he didn't have WCS he's perfectly chilled having it done and was checked with a 48 hour machine, even when he was asleep it was all over the place with some extremely high readings.

• Posted

I have menieres desease. Sitting in the waiting room makes me very dizzy. Fluorescent likes cycle, (flicker). Sets me off. Loud sounds like kids throwing a tantrum make my head spin. Usually after a half hour of dealing with all that my bp is high.
    • Posted

One of my petpeeves Waffaiobill..  Nost folks don't know the medical profession for who and what they really are... think again people, it's a business first and your well being second in most instances..

• Posted

Oh my good ness I'm same, I can feel really strange sitting waiting and especially if I'm hungry and I usually am LOL I think that the internet doesn't help a little knowledge can be dangerous

• Posted

My GP understands. She knows if I sit in the waiting room to long , my bp will be high. My knee doc on the other hand panics. Is afraid if she gives me my knee injections it will go higher and I will stroke out. Turns a 10 minute appointment into 3 hours. They wait til it goes down a bit, give me the injections. The needle is huge, it hurts, my bp goes back up. They won't let me leave. Then they call my GP and tell them my bp was high. Lol

• Posted

I also am hypoglycemic. So stress makes my blood sugar levels fall fast. They see my color not right, do a finger stick. Then make me drink lemonade with so much sugar in it it's thick. Lol

• Posted

I am trying hard to get my blood pressure down and get off meds if possible or lower them due to all meds have side effects but dealing with anxiety is harder than I expected. I was diagnosed with GAD
    • Posted

We sound similar, I went into my drs the other day and he knew I was hyp by my colour and the shaking, he asked what I'd had for breakfast and I said a weetabix and he laughed his head off, said he wouldn't get out his front door on that LOL

• Posted

I'm presuming you have been checked with monitor for hypertension, if you don't mind me asking why you are so scared of the meds, yes some people have had to cope with the side effects and you might be told by others there so bad for you but I think if there keeping it in check then you obviously need them.

Are there any factors you can change, ie weight or diet

• Posted

As I stated in an earlier comment my mother has WCS. She says the longer she sits there the more she can feel her bp going up. Her gp knows that I check her bp regularly usually twice a day. One day she was in another doctor's office and her blood pressure was through the roof when they checked it. They called her gp who asked if I was with her. They told him I was and he said if I didn't seem concerned then he wasn't either because I knew her well enough to know when there was a problem. The doctor who's office she was in was flabbergasted but that was the end of it and they let us leave.

• Posted

you are correct!! and when the staff asks you to "rest" yet they knucklehead about your exam room...well...senseless comes to mine. 

• Posted

"leave us alone" super critical point.  I called my GP's patient care/concern/complaint dept the other day.  Some of these doctors simply go overboard!!  Do what you know is right and be happy.  Take care!!

• Posted

I have menieres. So I am dizzy alot. Lots of doc apps. I go to my GP and the past year I have been seeing a doc doing her residency. She's real nice and I don't mind BUT sometimes they send a student in first. My case is rare so they like to get some education in. So I talk to them about history and problem. Which takes a while. Then they speak with the resident. Then the resident comes in. I have to repeat most of what I already said. Then she talks to the attending. He/she comes in and I have to explain it AGAIN. Turns a 15 minute app into a 2 hour app. If that don't raise your BP nothing will.

• Posted

The attending told me the resident submitted me as a case study. It's not everyday they come across menieres.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.