Does anyone have this annoying symptom

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I hope you're all having a good day. I'd like to ask you all something. 

Does anyone go through a one-second episode of being dizzy (in addition to all your other symptoms)? It's like a split-second flash or shock where you're dizzy and it's over in an instant, if that makes sense. It's incredibly annoying and also very shocking. It happens a lot when I'm lying down, particularly when I'm reading. It's like falling into a hole and being yanked right back up, all in the space of 1 second. It makes my whole body jump and my arms and legs go flying in every direction and I'm alright again. It's like a friend hiding around a corner and just as you get there, they jump out at you. Anyone have this, or something similar? Also, if you do experience it, in addition to other things, can you please tell me:

- What you have been diagnosed with?

- Are you yet to be diagnosed?

Thanks everyone. My best too all.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes! I experience these shocks, too, when I'm lying down. Quite often. They are very annoying!

I have been dizzy for 10 months now, and have finally been diagnosed with significant VOR loss on the right side. Started VRT 2 weeks ago. For now it only makes me feel slightly worse, but I hope that in about 2-3 months I will see improvement.

• Posted

Thank you for your response ella4447. I thought I was the only one in the universe who had it. Now I know there's at least two! I wish you well in your therapy and hope you finally get the peace and quality of life back. We all deserve to :o)  Cheers
  • Posted

I know exactly what you mean , very hard to explain , I had it a lot today , it's like a feeling of something moving in your head , for a second and it does shock you X 
  • Posted

They tell me I have bppv 
    • Posted

Thanks for your answer Gilly. The thing I get is actually the same thing when I used to get violently dizzy, where everything spins, except, instead of lasting for a minute, it's only for a second. It's like "WHOOSH" and then gone. It's really startling. I remember years ago, I was sitting and talking to my cousin and I jumped and she jumped as well, lol. I don't know who was more scared, me or her lol. But again, thanks for the input. 
    • Posted

Yes   Good name for it , whoosh , I call it shifting in my head sometimes , but 
  • Posted

Absolutely! It happens at weird times and is unpredictable. You aren't alone. My diagnosis is vague. I had a cyst removed from behind my eardrum and am currently thought to have labyrinthitis. Hang in there. We're here. 
    • Posted

Thank you Mary. I hope they resolve yours quickly. I have been hanging in there, btw, since 1981 lol. In all those years, I have seen the nature of the beast change. There was a period when it just got better on its own and then it got worse on its own with no medical intervention. Then in 1998, I became agoraphobic and still am. My one advice I would give to anyone would be to try your best to stay active and keep going out. Agoraphobia is horrible. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Um, on second thoughts, I think I would biggrin
  • Posted

I have always described that feeling as a "wave" that runs through my body.  Happens when I'm sitting, standing, laying down, walking, etc.  It rushes in makes me dizzy and unbalanced, then goes away in a matter of seconds. I have tried explaining that feeling to several doctors, but they all looked at me like they had no clue what I was describing.  I was told I have BPPV.
    • Posted

Thanks Kikili. It doesn't sound like mine but we may have different issues and we're all affected in different ways. I would not call mine a "wave" and it's only for a second. For me personally, I rarely get that when I'm standing or walking. 

I know what you mean about the doctors. Perhaps they didn't pay attention to that chapter in class. wink  I've had to tell doctors some of my unbelievable symptoms (I'd be praying they would know what I was talking about so they could help me) but they didn't know either. I even used to draw sketches to make it clearer for them, but still they hadn't heard of anything like it. 

Anyways, best of luck with your treatment for BPPV.

• Posted

Yes, me too! I have posted about it in response to a similar comment, so if you click on my name, you should be able to see all of my posts... Basically, my audiologist told me that is the brain compensates for what it is expecting is going to be a shift of the inner ear "crystals" from BPPV that aren't there anymoe. I was diagnosed with BPPV and after quite a few Epley treatments, it finally went away - good luck to you too.
    • Posted

Oooh, that's interesting. Finally, an explanation after all these years. Thanks Dee. I hope you're OK now.
    • Posted

Sorry Dee, but could you please provide me with the link to that other post you mentioned? It's not important, but I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Dee , I had a MRI scan yesterday , got to wait for results , also saw my audiologist , he is so sure now it's bppv , done the eppley, got to go up again , he did say I seem to have it in both ears but the right is worse , also he said it can be stubborn to move the crystals and and take a few sessions , did you have many , but like you I keep getting this shifting feeling all the time or a wave , also when I'm walking I end up feeling like everything going to fast around me , did you do anything else at home to help ,
    • Posted

I did the Eplys at home too, but it never worked when I did it! When you have it in both ears, it's tough because the motion of one "undoes" the other if they do them on the same day. They should wait 48 hours between them, but often they don't! The first time it worked, he did both ears, but did the right ear last, and it worked for the right ear. Then months later, another doctor did only the left, and that time that ear worked. They can come back. too, so it may work and then a while later you get more crystals that may need "retweeking"> Good luck, they say that's an easy fix... not like vestibular nerve damage. cry
    • Posted

Sure, but it may take me a couple of tries to find it. I keep getting diconnected... I still am afraid, when I feel that little "shift", but it only lasts a second, then I realize the actual vertigo is not coming back.

• Posted

Hi Gilly, I hope your MRI comes back clear.

I was thinking about how many times I had the Epley done - 18 visits, usually 2 times per ear, that's 72 (these were by the PTs). Then audiologist did it 5 times, neuro did it 9 times. So a little over 80. I lost count...

I also did it at home myself  a few times a week for about 3 months They all told me they can be stuck on the "cupula" and hard to get free. Also they can keep coming even if you get the original ones back in place. These crystals are microscopic, so someimtes they take a while to settle, which can complicate things too.

Somewhere ijn there, about October I think, the left ear did get fixed. Took a few more tries to get the right one back to normal.

Did nothing else but drink a lot of fluids because there's a theory that being dehydrated can precipitate the condition. No pun intended!

Let us know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.