Does anyone have this annoying symptom

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I hope you're all having a good day. I'd like to ask you all something. 

Does anyone go through a one-second episode of being dizzy (in addition to all your other symptoms)? It's like a split-second flash or shock where you're dizzy and it's over in an instant, if that makes sense. It's incredibly annoying and also very shocking. It happens a lot when I'm lying down, particularly when I'm reading. It's like falling into a hole and being yanked right back up, all in the space of 1 second. It makes my whole body jump and my arms and legs go flying in every direction and I'm alright again. It's like a friend hiding around a corner and just as you get there, they jump out at you. Anyone have this, or something similar? Also, if you do experience it, in addition to other things, can you please tell me:

- What you have been diagnosed with?

- Are you yet to be diagnosed?

Thanks everyone. My best too all.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dee , thankyou.  I have to go back on Friday for more eppley , but have been so bad with it since last week , I'm worried about having it done , did you find you felt worse when you had it done first , I rang my GP yesterday , no help what so ever , said its impossible to have bppv this long and feel bad all the time with it , 
    • Posted

Well, I had it for 14 months, someone was just not doing the Epley right! No, I only got sick once during one of the Epleys (thre up) but otherwise no problem at all. You may feel like you have to hold onto the table, as if you are falling for a split second, but that means the crystals are moving (hopefully back into the area where they belong!). Tewo days after this last one, I tested it myself, and GONE. Good luck, don't worry, hope you find someone who does them correctly (right angel, holds it long enough, waits for all the crystals to fall, etc). I had the best luck with an audiologist.

Be careful, too, that you follow his or her dirctions. If you look up too far, you will most likely dislodge them in those first 48 hours. After that, no problem looking up. Do not lay on the side that was "done" - you will know which side that is - and if you have them in both ears, hopefully he will only do one ear at a time. Otherwise, it will "undo" iteslf. Drink lots of fluids, as there is a theory that dehydration can cause the crystals to get loose/not dissolve.

I have to post this picture here... I always imagined this is what it looked like inside your ear while the Epley is being preformed. Ironically, the Latin name for maze is "labyrinth" - maze of the inner ear? Won't let me post the picture. Google - vintage maze toy - the Epley reminds me of these.

• Posted

And also this! (cyrstals settling).
    • Posted

Wow Dee! So you overcame all your problems after this was done? Are you feeling back to normal, like how you were before all this happened? Also, how did you sleep and stuff? It appears that you're supposed to keep your head at a certain angle or something. That must be hard when you fall asleep and move your head about during sleep. 
    • Posted

No, not all problems soved, just the room-spinning. A totally different problem (all said) is the imbalance.

Sleeping was a problem. I had one of the people that did it tell me "Just sleep on that side for one night" - I always wake up when I turn over, so that was no problem. Another one that performed it said "Oh, no, don't sleep any way but totally sitting up in a recliner" - for 2 nights!

I did it many ways, and one treatment worked when I just didn't sleep on that side for one night... the other time it worked, I slept propped up on a bunch of blankets so that my head was at a 45-degree angle for one night.  

There seems to be different opinions, and I heard these from an audilogist, an neurologist, and 2 physical therapists. I was hoping that my off-balanced feeling would go away after the BPPV was gone (one PT said she thought it would), but it didn't. Totally different conditions.

I think you just don't want gravity to make your crustals fall "back out".

• Posted

OK, thank you Dee. Damn, I kinda hoped you were completely alright. eek

Still, considering what everyone here has gone through (and still going through), any improvement is a wonderful thing, so well done.smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.