Does anyone here have OCD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I think I may have moderate OCD. I have Anxiety Disorder and Depression, although I am unmedicated for both (I have suffered for over ten-years and chose to go it alone a few years ago).

The OCD symptoms have never intruded on my life, and up until a few years ago, I thought they were completely normal, so never felt the need to mention it to my doctors.

Does this sound like OCD?

I have obsessive thoughts that never go away. Sometimes, they go on all night, and have caused bouts of insomnia in the past. I will dwell on things, think on them, leaving no stone untouched. They don't go away until I have thought about every possible outcome to every possible scenario.

I have to check my keys, phone and wallet several times before leaving the house, and do it every ten-minutes when outside. I have to keep my keys in the front pocket, attached to a large keychain or a piece of string, which stays outside my bag, and I have to stop to stroke it for three-minutes after checking my bag every ten-minutes. If I get interupted before the three-minutes is up, I get anxious and frustrated and have to begin all over again. My phone must ALWAYS go behind my wallet, and I must be able to see the camera, charging port or the make of the phone.

I eat from the outside in, in a circular fashion. I also must always start with the veggies, then the carbs, then the meat. I cannot mix foods, although I seem to be able to mix more now, although not consistently.

When I do the laundry, I start with the smallest items to the bigger, and must hang them in that fashion.

When I do the washing-up, I must, first, clean the sink, then put the plug, then fill the sink, then wash the cuttlery. I change the water, then wash the smallest plates and bowles, change the water again, then wash the bigger plates and bowles, then change the water again, and finally wash the pots and pans. Afterwards, I clean the sink again.

I have to turn up early. Not late, or on time. At least half-hour, or fifteen-minutes early. If someone says they're leaving at one, and at one-fifteen, they haven't left, I get panicky. If someone I'm not expecting knocks on my door, I get panicky and don't answer. I have to lock the door everytime I close it.

I also have several phobias but I'm not sure if they're classed as OCD.

Another one was when I was assembling my wardrobe. Over two hours, I had four panic attacks and was crying and panicking, because my husband wanted to do the opposite from me. If he'd listened to me, the whole thing would have been upside down. It just felt completely unnatural to me, to NOT put them upside down. I mean, we laugh about it now.

Sorry for the essay, but would anyone say this was OCD? Also, what are some "habits" or "rituals" that people with OCD experience?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't wish to be flippant but do you have a job or do you have any hobbies?

I am now semi-retired because of my bipolar. I have been advised not to work because the stresses that one faces at work are thought to not be helpful to my condition.

I have various activities which fill my time during the termtime but with the school holidays a couple of them are suspended, if you see what I mean.

Therefore as I have more time on my hands my thoughts have become more depressive - whether depression leads to the thoughs or vv.

It is a bit like that spot that one keeps picking!

So you need to keep busy - and not with your repetitive behaviour.

As far as having intrusive thoughts are concerned when I am feeling good but if I can't sleep I find myself "solving" ny problems which might include sending emails. Generally in the cool light of day I decide that it might be better if I don't.

• Posted

I run a house and have two young kids. I would say, time is something I don't have. Lol. I'm going to be starting univerity soon, to get my degree.

I make sure I stay active, and focused, and me and the kids are always doing something or other. The only time I really get to think, is at night, but they still manage to pop up throughout the day!

I know someone with bi polar. It's not easy.

• Posted

Well. if you are planning to start university soon you can't be doing everything wrong. I assume that you had to study for that or have you delayed that while you have children.

You will find that at most universities there are wonderful counselling facilities - particularly because of the pressures of studies. A couple of years ago I was at college and I was offered CBT on self-referral which you can never do in the NHS. Anyway good luck with that. What are you studying?

• Posted

I'm going to be doing my BA in History, work for a bit, then go back for my Masters.

Do you miss work? Isn't there another type you can get, something light and not stressful?

• Posted

Yes, and if you talk to that person who is bipolar you will know that this is a condition that is for life. The only known treatment is by medication and to keep the person stable regular taking of medication is necessary. To do otherwise, even where the condition seems to have go away, can lead to a relapse. So as I stated in my other posting to advise someone else to come off meds without consulting a doctor/PCN/social worker is ill-advised. Particularly online.

You say that you were "speaking" to a lady in the States - presumabl online.

• Posted

We were talking about you - not about me. I gave you my experience in order that I might help you. I was showing that life is difficult but I am not asking for your help - you were asking for ours. Youmight say that is not fair but it is - why would any of us try helping another person here if everyone time one's own past or current activity was being questioned.

And yes I did - I do volunteering with the elderly and I sing and I play in an orchestra.

With my current medication I can't get up in the morning and when I can my reactions are not what they should be.

There is also a question of "permitted work".

But I am open to offers of freelance work.

And I have done work such as secretarial work and as soon as they find out my CV they want to give me higher level of work.

Why woud anyone with effectively 3 degrees be working at menial taks when one is so qualified.

That's me done - now back to you. End of my ime trying to help you.

• Posted

Online yes. I didn't say it as flippantly as that. I told her to talk to her Dr and see if weaning helped her.
    • Posted

Well, physician heal thyself. I wouldsimilarly tell you to speak to your doctor about yourself.

But a long while ago a then friend wanted me to come off my medication - he didn't know I was bipolar - he clearly had a thing about medication per se - and whether he knew about my condition or not which I had never discussed with him - how dare he put pressure on me to come off my medication without having any medical knowledge. The friendship ended there and then.

• Posted

Well its different for you. Bi polar is a life long condition. Depression and anxiety can and do go away, and if you don't give yourself a chance, how do you learn to live with your limitations, or see if your cured? Or learn to live!

obviously, a bi polar giving up medication is a recipe for disaster but under medical control and observation, why shouldn't someone just try going medication free? Even if they go back on it in seven days?

• Posted

As I say it depends on the severity of the condition. One size doesn't necessarily fit all - that goes for the mentality some physicians take as well - and I think the option for discussion of the pitfalls of longterm medical usage should be open to debate, and if somebody wishes to make a conscious decision not to continue with medication then that's up to them. Is it right to applaud it? It's appropriate to applaud somebody who makes a decision for themselves, yes. If you feel a degree of kinship with them, their struggles and what they say, and can relate to their reasons for discontinuing medication, I think it's personally fine to agree with what they did for no other reason than because it's a shared mentality.
    • Posted

But you are not their doctor. But we were talking about you. My point being that the fact that you posted here doesn't mean that if I respond to you that I am not asking for your help. You seem to have enough on your plate, so you say.
    • Posted

I was talking to Rubes25 and referring to you - there's a difference. There are more people than just you. I can already see your view Nick, and I can see the fundementalism of it too so I won't argue with you about it. I just feel it's more ethical and responsible to advise somebody to make a decision for themselves, and applaud, that than it is to deny the reality of the situation most people face when confronted with the services and their compatibility alongside medication.

What medication people take is subjective based on how they feel. A GP cannot (and should not) give a medication that may or may not work depending on what they learn about their patient within the standard 10 minutes they are given to deal with a patient's problem; and especially not in the case where it could be likely that patient will not see more appropriate treatment given to them until a much, much later date. Doctors, physicians and so on have medical degrees but they don't have a certificate next to the the pictures of their family members on the wall that says 'Clairvoyant'

• Posted

No in not a dr but if someone seems to still be bad despite prolonged medication use, in not going to tell them to wait another 5 yrs or so to see of they improve.
  • Posted

Ocd is classified as an anxiety disorder. .....I am now 35 and was diagnosed with ocd at 17yrs old....if you have questions I am the one to ask.lol.  and yes it does sound like you may have it...how old are you and when did this all start
    • Posted

When i was about 4 when the obsessive handwashing began. Then that tapered off and got replaced with other little obsessions, like the food one. It wasn't until i was about 15 when the others began. Its worse then its ever been but it has never limited my quality of life.
    • Posted

"but it has never limited my quality of life."

Then it is nothing to be concerned about. On the other hand, if it's something that is affecting the quality of other people's lives, that's not your fault. They just have to learn to accept who you are.

• Posted

Then I doubt you have ocd....it effects my quality of life...I can't live without my meds...so it sounds as though you just have anxiety when you become overwhelmed or have something going on in your life such as stress...happy to hear it doesn't mess with your life
    • Posted

The hardest part is getting my kids to be quiet so i can stroke my keys like a loon lol

theyre like, mum, MUMMY, y have we stopped? Oh, mummy, we just missed the bus. Ok, mummy, people are staring lol

• Posted

Do the meds help? Did it stop or limit it, for u?
    • Posted

They help but its a disorder.....I will always have it...this a chemical imbalance of serotonin in the brain...this is something I was born with its like any other disorder ppl are born with meds help but it will always be there....trust me I have server ocd..I obsess on death and illness. ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.