Does anyone know how long I should be on or off my feet after bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm on day ten after my bunion surgery akin osteotomy and was wondering if anyone knows how long I should be on my feet for my foot feels ok but I don't want to over do it should i still be trying to do nothing with my feet up thanks.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My surgeon said rest for 50 mins in every hour for the first 2 weeks then go back for stitches out, im only on day 5 im trying to do as he said but its hard when im practicaly painfree and im not used to just sitting around with my feet up,  you could always ring your surgeons secretary and ask for advice, its part of her job
    • Posted

Thanks for replying I've tried ringing and just keep getting passed about I don't go for  check up till next Tuesday I think I've been doing to much mopping floors doing washing think I need to hold a bit I really didn't get much info when I had my op it's sooo hard just sitting about but think I need to do as I'm told thanks again think I just needed some advice .
  • Posted

if your body is telling you that youv done too much    then you probably have,  my surgeon gave me a direct number to his secretary, you could try ringing your gp and see what he/she says
    • Posted

I will try again tomorrow think I've left it a little late in the day I think because my foot feels ok I should be up doing something but I don't want to do any damage .
  • Posted

I'm 13 days post op, after a week I was washin, vacuuming the stairs etc, and ironing. I think your body soon tells you because after I've done my stint I'm absolutely shattered and need to rest with my foot up 
    • Posted

I do feel shattered after doing very little I just can't believe I've had no information  after the op I saw my surgeon in September and had my pre op ,had op on 28th Nov and was told nothing after the op and I was too out of it after to really ask questions so I've just been trying to remember what he said in September .
    • Posted

im glad theres someone else out there like me who cant just sit around and thinks like me, theres too many negative comments on here
  • Posted

i completely understand what you mean about doing something   im only on day 5 and im already frustrated that i cant do more its hard when you feel ok and dont have any pain 
  • Posted

Hi Mitchy - my surgeon said the same as granny grandma. He was actually quite firm about it so I guess I will have to do as I'm told for once! I'm 1 day post op and pretty much pain free. I had a bilateral MIS. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks sandispoon I think if my surgeon would have stressed to me not to do anything for 2 weeks I don't think Id feel as guilty doing nothing I am a bit of a clean freak though so it's hard to sit here when I can see things need doing .
  • Posted

My surgeon td me to do nothing for 2 weeks and keep foot elevated 90% of the time. This prevents infection.
  • Posted

I'm feeling now like I really shouldn't have done as much as I did as I not only had bunion removal I also had my 3rd metatarsal op with bone removal and pins and screws fitted!!! So 2 ops that's probably why I'm feeling so pained and tired, my problem is that I've got 3 kids that need looking after washing feeding cleaning etc! I think you listen to your own body as no 2 people are the same!!!
  • Posted

My consultant was also very firm on resting 50 mins in every hour for the first two weeks and told me "non-negotiable". Your body and mind might want to be up for more than 10 mins per hour but you really need to heed the advice and give your foot every chance of recovering fully as well as avoiding risk of infection and - as I was also warned - standing for too long makes the foot swell even more which is not good news when wounds are still knitting together.Those extra minutes added here and there could translate into a longer recovery. It's sooo boring, I know! Hang onto the fact that, as other people have posted, you will suddenly find that you're making noticeable progress.
  • Posted

Hi. I had bilateral MIS and was told that you should rest as much as possible and keep foot up. After the first 2 weeks you can start to build things up and your body will tell you when you have had enough. I found that I got a bad back when I was up too much.you don't want to go through it again so best to follow instructions. As you are in day 10 , think positively ! It is nearly 2 weeks! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.