Does anyone really understand?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Feeling really depressed at the moment. I haven’t had a holiday abroad for 29 years and am due to fly to Portugal next Friday. I have got an ear infection and have been given antibiotics for it, trouble is, they seem to have really upset my bowels and I have extreme rectal pain, which I seem to have a lot of. I know I have a fissure but am not sure if that’s what’s causing this dull ache or if it’s the pockets. I feel so depressed right now. I have kept quiet and not complained really but my “friend “ just phoned me, said I should have called 111, didn’t give me a chance to really reply. I wasn’t going to call them, what can they do except tell me to go to hospital. I know the infection has almost cleared up. I just now have this bad pain and also some on my lower left side. Anyway my “friend “ said abruptly “I just let you get on with it then “. Not really the response I needed. People really have no idea how unpleasant this awful disease is. No wonder I am a bit of a recluse. I don’t think I will contact this “friend “ anymore as I know that stress makes this illness worse and am convinced that stress caused this in the first place. Sorry to rant folks, I just feel so sad and depressed right now. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you been diagnosed with diverticulitis ? If so it does sound a bit like a flare up. The antibiotics for your ear could be playing your stomach up but if you had a diverticulitis infection they would be probably be working on that too. Try a very bland diet for a couple of days and cut out all fibre. What are your bowel  movements like. Any mucus/blood? which can indicate diverticulitis. If you do not have a temperature and do not feel really ill it’s unlikely you have a diverticulitis infection. Your ‘friend’ did sound rather unhelpful perhaps she was having a bad day!!! You still have time to get better for your holiday. Don’t forget to take some antibiotics with you just in case. Have a good time 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice Angela. I was diagnosed with d d in August 2017, and have had one flare up in January. I genuinely think that I have had an ear infection and that yes, the antibiotics are irritating my bowel. Luckily no mucus or blood, I tend to get a bit constipated for which I take a daily stool softener and sometimes a laxative. Been to Doctors and luckily I don’t have a temperature. Just feel nauseas and bad pain in my rectum. Hopefully I will feel better in a weeks time for my holiday. 
    • Posted

Yes it’s such a miserable condition and people don’t always understand how disabilitating it can be. When we get these flare ups I think we all over think it could be something worse and then you are fine for a while and it all starts again! This is a good forum that has given me a lot of reassurance when I am ‘freaking’ out  during a flare up. I always get blood and mucus but not always given antibiotics as it doesn’t necessarily mean you have an infection. It’s apparently all part of the dreaded diverticulitis.  Best wishes  Angela 
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, I know exactly what you mean, people Really don't understand how awful the pain can be, I am suffering for past five weeks practically every day, pain in my lower back and rectum, loose bowel, it is starting to really depress me too, I was at my gi surgeon on Tuesday this week and he is organising an mri for me hopefully soon, the pain is so bad sometimes I worry that it's something really serious, I hope you get to Portugal and relax and get some pain free time, I'm meant to be going to Rome in July but right now just don't want to go anywhere, take care

• Posted

Hi Kate, thanks for your kind words, sorry you’re going through it too. The pain is just relentless and seems to go on and on. I don’t think I have had a pain free month since August 2017. I know it’s difficult but try not to think to much about it being something really serious. From what you’re describing it sounds like diverticula flare up. I hope you get to Rome in July and understand where you’re coming from about not wanting to go anywhere right now. Here’s hoping we both get better soon. Take care.
  • Posted

So sorry to read about your issues. I've suffered on and off with DD for a few years. I am symptom-free at the moment, which I believe is due to a rigorous diet and drinking lots of water. Insofar as discussion with friends, family, etc., I don't. Period. I do not discuss it. They're tired of hearing about it, and although they want to help, there's really nothing anyone can do. If it comes up, I quickly change the subject. I hope you get better.

• Posted

Hi Pecan. Thanks for your kind words. My issue is that I don’t talk about it but when I have this horrible pain I just need to rest and live very quietly for a bit. I think sometimes people think it’s something you get over in a day or so and not the sheer exhaustion that goes on for ages. 
  • Posted

Go on a clear liquid diet for a day and go to pharmacy for a probiotic.  I think your intestines are irritated and inflamed from antibiotics that I think that’s the issue.  Go today and ask pharmacy what probiotic is best.  Start taking it and see how you feel in a day or so.  If not feeling better go to the doctor.  You want to be sure you’re  ok before your trip.  God Bless!
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words Madeline. I have started taking a probiotic with 20 billion friendly bacteria. I go away a week today and I will have finished the antibiotics next Wednesday so hopefully will feel better by then.
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, sorry to hear you're having such a hard time, l was diagnosed with DD in April 2017

&, with help from this site, am learning to live with it. I take a high strength Aloe Vera tablet daily & add in lots of probiotic yoghurt throughout the day if l feel the beginnings of a flare up. Like you l need to rest & lead a quiet life at those times. Hope you feel better soon, enjoy your holiday & be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Hi Caroline, hopefully things will be better soon. The most important thing to consider is your travel insurance, have you got cover for the diverticulitis?  I have to pay a premium for the condition and I am covered if I have an attack in the UK or worldwide.  If you are covered I would keep quiet until the last minute because you may feel better by the end of the week, if you are not you will be able to claim for your cancelled holiday.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, thanks for your advice. Yes I do have travel insurance. Really hope I feel better soon as this is the first holiday abroad for me in 29 years but right now I feel pretty lousy.
  • Posted

Sounds like your friend may be right, you need to go to the doctor. 
  • Posted

Hi yes but how far down the rd have you been down the consultant route I now take Questran ffour sachets a day its a fibre based powder sachet mixed with water or skimmed milk or apple juice My consultant put me on it and I find amazing. gets rid pain and stops food getting stuck in the diverticular pockets. This is what causing the dull ache pains and gets worse I know if a flare up need antibiotics However the Questron stops the flare ups in my case . Hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.