Does anyone share these sypmtoms for diverticulitis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

I think I have diverticulitis, and am wondering what those who suffer with this disease think. Let me tell you my symptoms.  I suffer from a discomfort/sometimes pain below my left rib, as shown in attached diagram (blue ellipse).  I have had some blood tests, ECG, and two CT scans – all my organs are essentially healthy – no kidney stones.  I do have diverticula, in my sigmoid colon, but as far as can be told from the CT scan – they are not inflamed.

The pain I feel is not excruciating, but can take my breath away when it is really bad. It can almost disappear entirely, for a few months, and then come back for a few months. It feels like a pushing/bloating feeling localized within the ellipse.  I generally eat a bowl of Uncle Tobies oats with soy milk for breakfast, but after reading that this can be problematic during a flare up of diverticulitis I stopped for a couple of days and started to feel better. For some reason I decided to try metamucil two days ago (high fibre phyllum husk orange drink).  Ten hours after drinking it I experienced strong pains in the blue ellipse area, such that it was impossible for me to sleep.  This is my best evidence for diverticulitis – as if it were stomach related I guess I would expect an immediate response?

I also feel some mild back discomfort – approximately localized to the region of the back behind the blue ellipse. I do NOT experience much reflux, I am mildly constipated, I do NOT ever feel like I am going to vomit.

I have consulted with a number of doctors, one told me diverticulitis sufferers experience pain much lower than the blue ellipse, and also my symptoms are not extreme enough – i.e. he didn’t think I would be able to function at work with it.  Which most days I am, although some days I just sit and stare at my computer (the pain is just too distracting).

Sorry for the long description, I am curious of the opinion of those that suffer with this disease if:

(i) Are my symptoms like yours?  In particular, is the pain location consistent?

(ii) Could I have a mild form of diverticulitis?

(iii) When you have a flare up,and you eat something high in fibre (metamucil for example) do you get really bad pain, and does it take hours for that pain to manifest?

(iv) Do you get a little bit of back pain?

(v) Besides a colonoscopy is there any way to diagnose diverticulitis?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,  I have stopped eating all forms of fibre to see if this will subside.

Cheers,

Andrew

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What does this mean blue ellipse?  Besides CT Scan and colposcopy  and checking your blood I don't know of any other way myself. Have you had them check you for an enlarged spleen? Have you been checked for Mono? I am a diverticulitis suffer and I pray you DO NOT have this horrible disease! 

• Posted

Crosado,

Below Andrew’s signature there is a drawing of a male figure with a  ‘blue elipse’ drawn to show where the pain area is.

• Posted

No my spleen is not enlarged - measured by CT with contrast.
  • Posted

Hi andrew the area you are showing is way high for diverticulitis pain in general belly button or below During a flare up I do liquid diet You need to find a good gasomytris and and hopefully figure it out I have severe back pain with flare ups Why do you think you have DD And as other response I pray you don't

• Posted

My symptoms - that are DD like - pain on left side (although high as you say), I have diverticula (CT scan - although in the sigmoid colon, and it was noted by the radiologist as 'uncomplicated'wink.  My reaction to a high fibre drink - severe pain in the blue ellipse area. All other simple things have been ruled out.

• Posted

Hi andrew I hope your getting answers your in my thoughts! My son in law has pain pretty much in the same area as you So far his test show small hernia and gallstones along with IBS
    • Posted

Thanks Ellen,

I am feeling a little better since removing fibre from my diet. I am hopeful, that it will improve further.  I am off to the doctor next week to see if I can get some more tests, will ask about a hernia.

Thanxs for all your info, and your nice thoughts,

Andrew

• Posted

I was diagnosed by cat scan with barium and dye, plus blood test. I also had that weird balloon pressure under leaf rib and back, Dr told me I bruised my rib . I disagree cuz it comes and goes. And when it comes it’s annoying it’s bloating,  I cannot tolerate high fiber , I have had tons of test stools, Endoscopy, colonoscopy, blood, all normal except the severe Diverticulosis in sigmoid. So Drs did SIBO test and was positive, SIBO/IBS. I’m going to have an MRI next in that spot, you call blue ellipse, cuz it’s still comes and goes. Best of luck, and if you find out anything pls let me know. Thanks. 
    • Posted

ok, this sounds similar - so Vickie are you saying you feel a localized pain in a similar area to me and you have been diagnosed with diverticulosis?  Note that diverticulosis is an inflammation of the diverticula.  So you can have diverticula (in the sigmoid) and never experience any diverticulosis. Wow, my feeling is also a 'weird balloon like pressure' - I could not have said that better. My stools were also fine, all my major organs in that area and elsewhere were fine (from CT scan with contrast).

• Posted

oh and my doctor also said I may have a broken rib - had x-ray - ribs fine.
    • Posted

I never had that pain till after I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis and developed an abscess, after done with all treatments and tests I now have severe (3 spots) Diverticulosis and SIBO. On very strict diet, low fiber, no carbs, sugar, dairy, and high fiber causes me much pain. But I still get that balloon feeling under my rib, just occasionally but it’s annoying. Stumped as to why ? 
    • Posted

Is your balloon like feeling better or worse when you lie down?

Does your Xyphoid process move around?

• Posted

Mostly when sitting or lying down, No my Xyphoid doesn’t move around it just aches and hurts when you apply pressure on it, think because I lost so much weight so fast. 40 lbs in 5 months. 
    • Posted

wow 40lbs, your symptoms and mine are really similiar, but your pain and food in tolerances seem much more extreme.

If I find out anything I will be sure to let you know,

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you, no food intolerances, had no choice but to change diet due to the diverticulitis and was so sick had no appetite and the antibiotics for a month made things worse, now I have SIBO and had to change up diet again, ugh and just finished up antibiotics again. So my poor gut flora is messed up. Pls do let me know if you find out what the deal is with the pain k ? My GI said he thinks it’s just gas trapped in that part of colon. Who knows

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.