Does anyone share these sypmtoms for diverticulitis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

I think I have diverticulitis, and am wondering what those who suffer with this disease think. Let me tell you my symptoms.  I suffer from a discomfort/sometimes pain below my left rib, as shown in attached diagram (blue ellipse).  I have had some blood tests, ECG, and two CT scans – all my organs are essentially healthy – no kidney stones.  I do have diverticula, in my sigmoid colon, but as far as can be told from the CT scan – they are not inflamed.

The pain I feel is not excruciating, but can take my breath away when it is really bad. It can almost disappear entirely, for a few months, and then come back for a few months. It feels like a pushing/bloating feeling localized within the ellipse.  I generally eat a bowl of Uncle Tobies oats with soy milk for breakfast, but after reading that this can be problematic during a flare up of diverticulitis I stopped for a couple of days and started to feel better. For some reason I decided to try metamucil two days ago (high fibre phyllum husk orange drink).  Ten hours after drinking it I experienced strong pains in the blue ellipse area, such that it was impossible for me to sleep.  This is my best evidence for diverticulitis – as if it were stomach related I guess I would expect an immediate response?

I also feel some mild back discomfort – approximately localized to the region of the back behind the blue ellipse. I do NOT experience much reflux, I am mildly constipated, I do NOT ever feel like I am going to vomit.

I have consulted with a number of doctors, one told me diverticulitis sufferers experience pain much lower than the blue ellipse, and also my symptoms are not extreme enough – i.e. he didn’t think I would be able to function at work with it.  Which most days I am, although some days I just sit and stare at my computer (the pain is just too distracting).

Sorry for the long description, I am curious of the opinion of those that suffer with this disease if:

(i) Are my symptoms like yours?  In particular, is the pain location consistent?

(ii) Could I have a mild form of diverticulitis?

(iii) When you have a flare up,and you eat something high in fibre (metamucil for example) do you get really bad pain, and does it take hours for that pain to manifest?

(iv) Do you get a little bit of back pain?

(v) Besides a colonoscopy is there any way to diagnose diverticulitis?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,  I have stopped eating all forms of fibre to see if this will subside.

Cheers,

Andrew

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have they checked for gallstones, that can show in various ways but if it goes for months at a time it could be pain when stones pass.  
    • Posted

I have a tiny millimeter size gallstone (they can see these on CT - don't trust ultrasounds!) - gallstone pain is usually on the right, although you can get referred pain on the left - I don't think this is the problem - neither did the radiologist.

• Posted

If you have a copy of your CT scan re read it. You may have diverticulosis of the transverse and descending colon also! That would explain the pain being so high . Also if there is a narrowing or thickening in the colon?  Metamucil works but may cause a lot of gas.

Any Diarrhea?

I had surgery 3 months ago for moderate to severe diverticulosis of sigmoid and descending colon. With long episodes of diverticulitis!

Good luck it’s terrible!

• Posted

Believe me I have reread it a number of times, it says only in the sigmoid colon - and also 'uncomplicated' - meaning they shouldn't be a problem.  But I agree, it seems the transverse colon is more likely to be causing the pain - based on location.

No major diarrhea, the odd loose stool -more constipated - but no pain or issues with anything lower than the belly button - the pain is really localized in the blue area shown.

• Posted

My gut feeling is the pain is a bit too high for Diverticulitis.  The only sure fire way to diagnose is by a colonoscopy, but you already know you have diverticula (so do half the people in the Western World over 50!).  Most people never have a problem with them - they are there just like your appendix.  You know it's not your spleen or a broken rib.  Gall bladder problems are a possibility, or something like a gastric inflammation (I have gastritis as well as DD and my pain is LHS just below the rib cage.  Or do you have/or have developed unsuspected food intolerances.  I can no longer tolerate gluten, having eaten bread etc happily for years until diagnosed DD in 2001.  Some people cannot tolerate psyllium husk, and it shouldn't be taken when you have the pain.  But I have taken it daily for 17 years and it keeps me regular.  And if you had a full blown attack of Diverticulitis with infection you would be rolling on the ground in agony, with the pain coming over you in swamping waves, fever, chills, bloating, cramps, passing blood and mucus (some if not all of these symptoms).  But if it's just inflammation not infection you can (and I do) get stabbing pains which can at times take your breath away, but not otherwise stop you from working.  Suggest you try fluids only for 48 hours to ease the pain.  Best wishes.

• Posted

How do you check for gastritis? Or gallbladder? 
    • Posted

ok, this is consistent with what one of my doctors said.  I certainly don't have those extreme symptoms.

Thankyou!

• Posted

How is gastritis diagnosed?  Does your pain in LHS below ribcage - a sort of balloon like feeling pushing out? Almost like a stitch?

• Posted

I had an endoscope which found I gad a hiatus hernia and gastritis.  No idea about gall bladder, only that my friend had hers removed and she had pain on LHS below her ribs.
    • Posted

I had an endoscopy which found I gad a hiatus hernia and gastritis.  But my pain is more of a dull ache and more tender when I press on it.  However my DD does make me feel very bloated first thing in the morning until I've been to the toilet.

• Posted

I had the pain he same area. My Doctor decided to do an xray of my stomach to see what showed. That area of the colon has a loop or curved area and the xray did show inflammation. I have the pouches throughout my entire colon so I have flare ups ALL over. I would recommend Miralax instead.
    • Posted

Was courious, my blood work shows no inflammation, I get it checked regular, so does that mean I wouldn’t have inflammation there? Or should I get X-ray? 
    • Posted

Hi vickie I think it means no inflammation my colonoscopy went well I still have infection on the outside of my colon? She said no masses and nothing looks cancerous She will have lab results on Monday Considering I have infection I'm in very little pain 😊

• Posted

Oh Ellen that's awesome news, how are you feeling? Nice nap yeah. You eat now and get lots of rest. Nothing but great things coming your way. Surgery and recovery will be over before ya know it. I was so relieved when I got my biopsy back, no cancer, leaky gut, candida, or masses. Just Diverticulosis. Now this stupid SIBO. I'm so hungry for a good meal with big salad. And antibiotics are kicking my ass, so bloated, gas and uncomfy. Nothing is helping. Ugh. Well I'm here if you need me or have any questions about the after effects of colonoscopy. So glad for the good news. 🤗😇

• Posted

So happy for you, what a relief.

I replied but it's being moderated. Hope you get it. Get some rest and eat. Hugs.

• Posted

Ct scan didn't show any problems with the colon - even said no inflammation. Thankyou, for the info.

• Posted

Good morning, hope you had a peaceful night and are feeling better today. 🌺🌸

• Posted

I find it doesn’t take pain away, just keeps me regular, but slow moving. Tylenol and heating pad work sometimes and a walk. Meditation and a good movie. 🤗🙏

• Posted

Hi vickie I'm feeling okay today a bit bloated little runny but for the most part not to bad I hope your day is going good 😁

• Posted

That’s great news, just rest and eat as much as you can. I’m better today, getting some motivation to clean house, only 2 more days on antibiotics. Yay. Been laying around with heating pad for too long. Are you still on the antibiotics? Well you enjoy your day pray it’s a pain free day🌺🤗🙏

• Posted

I’m done today, yay. Hope it worked. How long does it take to get over the effects of the antibiotics? I also get to start eating more foods tomorrow but don’t yet understand how I will know what trigger foods are cuz of antibiotics screwing with tummy. So confusing. Guess it just takes time. I’ll be starting probiotics also tomorrow. Well hope you are feeling better and have a pain free day. Hugs🌺🌸🤗🙏

• Posted

Hi vickie Yay Cipro and Flagyll take 4 to 5 days to completely exit your body Google yours and it will tell you I'm not feeling to bad today just little twangs ? Fixing to throw stuff together for hospital stay Have a great day!

• Posted

Hi vickie not so good today lower back pain abdominal pain I ate tuna fillet and 2 tablespoons of grilled beans for dinner last night and as always lots of water! I would have finished antibiotics today but surgeon called in more to take until Tuesday morning surgery that day at 11 I have so much to do before surgery but am totally wiped out I hope you are feeling well this morning Thanks again for helping me get thru this nightmare 🎵

• Posted

Hi Ellen, so sorry your having pain today, I can’t even imagine what your going through, I’d be a total mess, your a very strong women 🌸 And know you’ll get through this , and back to a pain free life. In the meantime stay positive and listen to your body, rest as much as possible I’ve been binge watching some old fav movies and tv shows that make me laugh. It helps. I also went on Pinterest and started making a cookbook of things I can eat, like breads that don’t have yeast or gluten and pancakes. I’m not good in kitchen so thought I’d try to make it a new hobbie. I’ve been in bed for past 3 days, very constipated and tummy ache. Plus not sleeping but 4-5 hours so I’m wiped out also. But glad to be off antibiotics. This SIBO diet is so limited, I’m starving. Plus worried bout a flare up of Diverticulosis, keeps me anxious ugh. I see the new GI dietitian to come up with a diet plan for both diverticulitis and SIBO. I’m praying you have a better day, but just rest as much as possible, work on the packing when you have a bit of energy. Make a list of things to take with u, while your resting. Try to stay de-stressed and do positive affirmations. Thinking of you and sending positive vibes and hugs your way. 🌸🌺🙏

• Posted

Yes it stinks big time. But I have faith we will recover feel better and start living life again without pain. Diet gut and mind so important part of healing. HUGS and prayers for a peaceful night. 😀🧚?💤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.