Does citalopram improve sleep longer term?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi there...

A question for longer term citalopram users - has citalopram improved your sleep longer term? And if so, how long did it take?

I started developing sleep problems 12 months ago which heightened some existing 'moderate' anxiety and depression.

I know that when I sleep well both the anxiety and depression are so much easier to manage. 

My problem is waking in the night then anxiety creeping in because I think I won't get back to sleep. Some nights that's the only thing keeping me awake. other nights it may be a non-sleep issue but often it's just the not being able to drop off again that wakes me up!

Drives me crazy. Anyway I'm 3 weeks into citalopram 10mg and just wondering what peoples' experiences of it were for sleeping longer term. I know it will take 3-6 months to kick in.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David

Ive taken Cit for around 15 years, on and off, and though I didn't have a problem with sleeping at all before taking them, I did initially when first on the medication.  It stopped me sleeping, kept waking up etc., but eventually it sorted itself out and don't have a problem with my sleep anymore.

You might find eventually that you'll feel quite tired on these, so sleep might come more easily.  Yes, it does take a long time for things to settle, so fingers crossed it'll get easier for you.

K x

• Posted

David,

My doctor tells me that Citalopram will help my sleep. after nearly 4 weeks, im yet to see this benefit. Like you im keen to hear from longer term users.

take care.

• Posted

It took me 5 weeks to get my sleeping back.  I splet well before I start the med.  So the insomnia is from the med.  At week 4, I start the meditation, and meditation music when I am on bed.  It worked well, though not sure the improvment of sleeping is due to the meditation, music or it is simply it is due to the timing of side effects at week 5.  Good luck
  • Posted

David, I'm no expert but feel your pain here I have only been on Citalopram for a few weeks however its sounds like the sleep waking may not be the meds? Maybe when you wake try taking a hot shower to help relax distract your mind as much as possible once you feel you wont get back to sleep have a routine that works I have a last alternative drug to sleep that I never take because I seem to feel relaxed knwoing there is a silver bullet if all else fails bad pun I know but if you can find that speciual something that will by default convince you to sleep. I hope that works out buddy!  
  • Posted

Hi David

I haven't been on here a while. That's because I'm much better and sadly most people that are better no longer feel the need to come on here.

I started citalopram for the exact same reason as you. I had a few sleepless night for whatever reason and suddenly it turned into being scared of not going to sleep. I fed my anxiety so much that I had one night with ZERO sleep. No exaggeration - I had not a moments sleep, my anxiety was on fire.

Anyway cut a long story short I was out on xitalopram. For a good 4 or 5 weeks o was terrified it wouldn't work, that I would never sleep again. That was last August and I haven't looked back since. Yes there are some nights (rare) where I might struggle to stay asleep but I just don't worry about it anymore. Even if I think about it while I'm lying there a little bit, I forget by the next day.

Seriously David - you will be fine - I wanted to reach out to you as I was desperate for good news last year

X

• Posted

Great news Holly you are winning the battle!! David will win his as well !! I'm lucky I dont have any insomnia at the moment if or when I do I will focus on sleeping and exercise the tips Hang in there David this is just a bump in the road and great news Holly I'm really happy for you!
    • Posted

Hi Holly - thanks for your reply that gives me some confidence - your stroy does sound similar to mine. I didn't have this problem 12 months ago now it's become an albatross. My main reply is at the bottom of the thread - see what you think. Glad you're feeling better now x
  • Posted

The initial effects will settle down and I found I didn't wake up during the night.

Unfortunately whilst taking them I found it was difficult to get to sleep which made me feel like crap in the mornings. I tried various things from alcohol and cannabis to zopiclone sleeping tablets from the doctor and antihistamines like nytol from chemist, the most effective without side effects was circadin (melatonin) tablets.

• Posted

I'm reading this post as I'm downing my 3rd large glass of wine in the hope it might help me sleep better tonight. Unfortunately I have realised already I need to get really p*ssed for the booze to help me sleep. I didnt drink regularly during the week till I started the citalopram. The first week or 2 the booze did help me sleep. Now that too has worn off. I think I need to focus on a less drastic and more long term solution.
    • Posted

My reply to this post has been sent for moderation. I said pi$$€d when referring to alcohol. Ops. (Without the exclamations obviously).
    • Posted

Wow ELR I said the word Bitch referring to Anxiety being a bitch and that went through maybe I'm allowed to be a rebel ;0 
    • Posted

I once posted a link (in code) and it got posted but had my knuckles rapped lol.  It was only to help people, not advertising.  

Yes, Mr Meanie Moderator will seek you out lol. :-)

• Posted

Hi ELR, 

Alcohol stimulates the brain in early stages of sleep so you don’t get a quality sleep and most people sleep briefly and wake often? I would avoid the alcohol and see your doc about a last alternative sleeping pill? Just to take the anxiety away about sleeping work on a sleep ritual, read before bed, avoid scary movies TV before sleep maybe listen to soothing music to help relax generally keep yourself calm you will feel way better for it! I know that sound hard but I did and I sleep about 5-6 hours a night at best but its decent sleep. Maybe some magnesium before bed can also help. Look after yourself wink

• Posted

Understood Stevo. Today is a booze free day. I find it heightens the side effects the following day too. Tonight I'm increasing from 10mg to 20 on the Citalopram, so I'm expecting a few off days over the next couple of days. 
    • Posted

Yeah take care mate! definately wont help side effects but going up to 20mg may not give you more or any side effects just depends really? I didnt get any upping the dosage just when I first started ? you might be fine focus on the benefits thats what I do smile
    • Posted

I agree that drinking is not a long term solution but sometimes I would try anything as not being able to sleep is horrible and makes it hard to cope with things. Sometimes relaxation exercises can help, but when the insomnia is caused by the citalopram then they are not enough.

I used to stay on the sofa with the TV on, which doesn't help getting to sleep but stopped things from going round in my mind. It is a real low point around 4am when all the channels have gone to teleshopping and you finally get to sleep only to have a couple of hours before having to get up.

I found my sleep cycles got out of sync, especially during the winter with lack of sunlight, and the circadin tablets I bought online originally for jet lag helped.

The GP gave me zopiclone sleeping tablets before and they helped me get to sleep, but the effect seemed to continue into the next day and depending on my anxiety sometimes I felt more relaxed sometimes I felt like a zombie.

I realise a lot of the things I did and sometimes still do don't help overall and simple things like getting enough physical exercise, avoiding caffeine and sugary food can help.

Hope your sleep improves soon, if it doesn't then consider if the citalopram is having an overall positive effect on your health. It took me a long time to realise it wasn't for me and I tried to come off it a few times before succeeding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.