Does citalopram improve sleep longer term?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi there...

A question for longer term citalopram users - has citalopram improved your sleep longer term? And if so, how long did it take?

I started developing sleep problems 12 months ago which heightened some existing 'moderate' anxiety and depression.

I know that when I sleep well both the anxiety and depression are so much easier to manage. 

My problem is waking in the night then anxiety creeping in because I think I won't get back to sleep. Some nights that's the only thing keeping me awake. other nights it may be a non-sleep issue but often it's just the not being able to drop off again that wakes me up!

Drives me crazy. Anyway I'm 3 weeks into citalopram 10mg and just wondering what peoples' experiences of it were for sleeping longer term. I know it will take 3-6 months to kick in.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replies...

It's probably 'the' most difficult thing I've had to face being honest. I know to some people it may trivial but it's having a real negative impact on my life in lots of ways. I feel like I need a live-in psychiatrist some days.

The worst thing about it is that some nights I'll wake up with nothing hugely worrying on my mind. I'll pop to the bathroom very sleepy then bam! - the thought of not going back to sleep hits me, then my stomach starts churning. Then I'm so awake I cannot get back to sleep.

I then get up (like this morning) and sit downstairs pondering what the hell to do and who to talk to and some crazy hour. It's so depressing.

I've been on 10mg citalopram for over 3 weeks but need to up it to 20mg I think. May be even higher. I've been taking some 15mg Mirtazapine before bed too and they help unless I'm really stressing in the night.

I thought I'd got over this a few months ago. I seemed to have a 4-5 month better stretch when I was on fluoxetine and amitriptyline then I changed meds.

I'm not changing again though, I'm pretty confident citalopram is the best for anxiety longer-term and Holly your story gives me some confidence.

I pretty much know why it's happening. Since childhood I seem to move from one 'issue' to the next that gives me great difficulty - ordinary situations that I dwell upon 24/7 l- ike presenting to groups (something which when I'm over the initial few minutes I enjoy doing) but for years they would keep me awake at night. Now it's a fear of a lack of sleep. I have to say for a 38 year old man I feel quite pathetic but it's something that was ingrained in me and still is but I'm trying to break it down.

I have some underlying depression and anxiety, but these are so much milder when I sleep, it's like I morph back into my old self again and am 100 mph at work, exercising and doing normal things.

I somehow need to convince my sub-conscious that I don't need to keep feeding these problems that I've dealt with all my life. It's almost as if I have to find another problem to replace the old one and it's ruining my life. Can anyone identify with that? Does citalopram help with negative thoughts like this? God I hope so.

In the last 12 months I've been to an anxiety workshop,  mindfulness group and am currently using a daily meditation app called Headspace. All of these have helped but when I wake up in the night (like last night) I can't seem to stop the juggernaught - the terrible habit.

12 months ago I would sleep quite well 80% of the time and had nothing like this around my neck.

Anyway my plan over the next few weeks is to:

- Stick with 20mg citalopram

- Meditate daily for 20 mins

- Try and relax as much as possible

​Any other suggestions welcome!

• Posted

Sounds like you are very smart about how your body & mind is dealing with these issues some of which I think are normal anxiety levels but perhaps you push the anxiety up regarding the sleep which is very common too and a problem! I had shocking sleep then I tried some Cognitive behaviour therapy around it and made a sleep ritual, tips to get off to sleep as that was my biggest issue once asleep would wake a few times but after some time I accept I sleep enough so thats good enough for me! I force myself to block anxious thoughts before bed and focus solely on relaxing whichever way possible, I do a load of exercise now too which is great for stress which is a trigger for the damn anxiety so knowing the triggers is key also. Take care buddy glad the cita is working although it takes time so make sure you give it a good go champ!
    • Posted

Hi David!

Pretty similar story to mine, have things got any better for you?

Laura

• Posted

I'm on day 15 and this past week have been going to bed around 9pm and waking up, wide awake, at 2am! Cannot go back to sleep at all! I'm hoping if I stick with it this will fade. But from what I've read on numerous groups like this, it could remain. For me, it's worth it because I can already see a huge difference in my mood and anxiety levels are WAY down. I don't feel too tired throughout the day, despite only getting 5 hrs of sleep per night. I was on Fluoxetine (Prozac) for years before this & never had any trouble staying asleep. But I feel like this is a side effect that I can live with because I'm feeling so much better otherwise. Hope it all works out for you! Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi, I found when I went back on citalopram I also would go to bed around 9pm sleep heavy and then wake at 2 or 3 am and be awake for a good hour then fall in and out of sleep...... However after some weeks I tend to sleep longer and more quality sleep so there is light at the end of the tunnel folks !
  • Posted

Hi guys I start the mediation about 2 weeks ago now starting off on 10mg and then a week later upping the dose to 20mg. At first I felt amazing and started to feel a lot better but today has just hit me hard I feel like I'm back at the start and feeling worse and I really don't know what to do. I really need some advice as I can't see. My doctor untill she's back off holiday. Any help would be. Much appreciated

• Posted

Hi Ashton yes yes I too started on 10 and gradially moved up to 20mg and at first sleep was all over the place however after a few weeks months it normalised 'it is the sertonin mixing and increasing' There can also be days when You feel like your at the worse point again... which is just the Brain chemistry quite normal. My best advice is to hang in there keep taking the meds let it adapt before stopping or taking other errational action. Good luck wink

• Posted

Hi David. You're probably not on here at the moment given that this post was 2 years ago. However I really relate to what you've said.

I too stared citalipram about a week ago. I was spiralling down into anxiety and depression, and my hellish thoughts just keep it all alive and well. I try my hardest to accept that there is no danger and that it's just anxiety but the thoughts just seem so threatening.

This last week I've had one fully no sleep night, and three where I've slept for half an hour. It's honestly hell. It makes me more susceptible and it's an accuse mysery. There doesn't seem to be a safe place to recover.

I have had this a few times before but this has been the worst bout, and I genuinely feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown- sometimes just sitting and sweating terrified.

However I can't believe that all hope is lost. There has to be a future for us sufferers. Our thoughts seem to be sublimely personal and hopeless.

So- you're far from alone. I'm jealous of sine of some of the guys here who have been able to switch off with music and meditation. I can when it's not terrible, but at its word it's impossible to derive pleasure from anything that you do.

I'd love to know how you got on in the end.

• Posted

Hi there.

I was put on citalopram for sleep issues and insomnia last year. In that last year I didn’t have any issues with sleep! It was wonderful, or if I couldn’t get off I wouldn’t even worry about it , where as before it would send me into a panic attack.

It takes a while to get into your system but it certainly helped me with Sleep that after quitting it I’ve gone back on it smile

• Posted

how are you getting on now?

i was prescribed these for sleeping issues and I'm 6 weeks in and its made my sleep bad. I'm in and out of sleep alot,

if does improve by week 8 I'm thinking of dropping them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.