Does coming off citalopram reboot your system?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone knowledge of if when you come off the drug, your normal hormones etc kick back in. I feel I was a chemical lacking somewhere which this drug replaced. I was down to1.25 mg..has anyone else got that low or thought it worked? Two weeks ago I went back to 2.5 mg as I felt unstable and anxious. But I can't help wonder if life's hassles were tne real issue.

On reflection I think Citalopram put my in a sort of zombie state where I didn't really overthink..which is an issue for me

l do tend to over worry about small things. Over magnify them and worry about things tnat haven't even yet happened...and may not

debating just to stop taking the 2.5 but concerned I may go back to my previous anxious unhappy self...

how does comong off it reboot your brain...or does it?

any thoughts appreciated 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gillian

I'm not sure about rebooting your system. But I feel less tired and I've lost weight (I know citalopram increases weight and appetite combined). I don't sleep as well as I did but also don't feel I NEED as much sleep. I was terrified to come off it as I've had terrible anxiety as after a couple of bumps in the road my doctor just gave me some mild sleeping tablets to see if this helped and it did. Three months later and I am so glad I'm off them. You can do it! Eat well and exercise lots

X

• Posted

Hi holly

Well done on coming off citalopram and feeling better I came off it 2 weeks ago and feeling awful I can hardly control my emotions  please any advise ? I don't do cbt but would live to try , but it takes forever to get a referralI had a lot of brain zaps nausea but that's gone  just the anxiety and visions and low patience did you have these symptoms and if yes how did you cope? I am excersizing  a lot eating well , what else can I do ? , any advise please ? I am getting married in 7 weeks and really need to feel better but don't want to go back on the citalopram 

Thank you Anna xx

_ 0 F g

• Posted

Anna

stick in there hunny.  Do not go back on

im off 2 months and I am still feeling. Sh*t. But no way am I going through this again

ive gained weight. But I'm sticking with it

the brain zaps are horrible.  I'm 60 next year and was putting it down to just getting old. But I'm a young minded person 

and the age thing will come along later.  Much later I hope

enjoy your wedding.  And be happy.  We need more vitamin D

bring on the SUN.  

Izzi

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Well done on coming off citalopram and feeling bettersmile I came off it 2 weeks ago and feeling awful I can hardly control my emotions sad please any advise ? I don't do cbt but would live to try , but it takes forever to get a referralsadI had a lot of brain zaps nausea but that's gone smile just the anxiety and visions and low patiencesad did you have these symptoms and if yes how did you cope? I am excersizing  a lot eating well , what else can I do ? , any advise please ? I am getting married in 7 weeks and really need to feel better but don't want to go back on the citalopram 

Thank you Anna xx

• Posted

Thanks..yes you right I don't seem to need as much sleep..wonder if I should just stop taking them period

what I can't work out is..do your seratonin levels kick back in as you reduce..as I feel tnere was something I was missing and if Citalopram provided tnat...and it doesn't kick in ..where will I end up!?

• Posted

I moved out of my partners place after an argument, left my citalopram behind....sort of went into a daze, then shock after 10 days.....Im gonna stick with it, but feel shaky.  Need further advice, coz I don't think they worked for me when I was on them, now I just hope to feel like my old self again!!
  • Posted

Ann...Hmm maybe it,s not the best time to come off it if your getting  married soon...I was fine until  two weeks ago but I still got to get off the 2.5 mg 

heck yes anxiety and impatience can sure identify with that. It's not fair on my husband ! There Are books on CBT ucan get from water stones. My gp recommended that initially , can't find it or would tell you the name but I also read Stop Thinking Start living by Richard Carlson. You can get it on kindle  too. That helped. I hi lite bits then go back refer to them 

i do the gym too. It helps 

• Posted

thanks Gillian

when my gp told that i was ready to comee of the pill she didnt bother to tell how hard can it besad never expected such bad side effects,and i wouldnt do it before the wedding if i only knewsad i will try for another 2 weeks and if i am not any better i will go back on the pill as i really dont want to ruin my big day,good luck hun xxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Anna....I have been amazed at GPS ignorance altho mine seems ok. I have been comong off 20 mg since July last 

i felt tne first two weeks I went on it were worse...and that was expected so don't leave it too late to get settled again if that's what you decide. 

• Posted

Thank you Gillian I have seen another doctor and again different opinion sad I feel very stressed and anxious although the brain zaps are gone and the nausea isn't as bad, just the low patience and bad mood , don't know what to do ? I think I will try for another week or two if there is no improvement I will go back on the pill sad thanks again , any advise more then welcome xxxx
  • Posted

I don't know about 're-booting'.................

I came off, becaause of the weight-gain and felt great for a couple of weeks but have gone downhill since.

I, too, am a worrier and, now, reading about Mindlefulness.  Worries are just thoughts and they take over your life so am trying to stop thinking!!!

I'm finding beta-blockers a great help, for the anxiety; the take away the stomach-churning moments which make me cry.  Why not ask your doc. to try them as they can be taken just when needed?

All the best.

• Posted

Hi 

Thanks 

Are these beta blockers on prescription ? Any side effects after ? Are you very low patience like I am? Such short tempersad wish it could go away sad xxx

• Posted

Yes, prescription only, in UK.  I don't know if they would help but worth asking the doc.  They don't change your mood but take away the churning stomach.  They are taking for things like stage-fright and even by surgeons just to take the edge off them.

I'm not short-tempered - well not any worse than I was  biggrin - I'm just so nervous and tearful most of the time.

Best person to see is your doc. as we all have different needs.

• Posted

Thank you I know we all different , my problem is my gpsad couldn't care lesssad will try another doctor thanks for your advise again x
    • Posted

To be truthful, we are just guinea pigs but I think you need to change doctors to one who understands.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.