Does coming off citalopram reboot your system?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone knowledge of if when you come off the drug, your normal hormones etc kick back in. I feel I was a chemical lacking somewhere which this drug replaced. I was down to1.25 mg..has anyone else got that low or thought it worked? Two weeks ago I went back to 2.5 mg as I felt unstable and anxious. But I can't help wonder if life's hassles were tne real issue.

On reflection I think Citalopram put my in a sort of zombie state where I didn't really overthink..which is an issue for me

l do tend to over worry about small things. Over magnify them and worry about things tnat haven't even yet happened...and may not

debating just to stop taking the 2.5 but concerned I may go back to my previous anxious unhappy self...

how does comong off it reboot your brain...or does it?

any thoughts appreciated 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ms mac...GP gave me propanolol first. Didn't work for me. Tne cit was fabulous! Pity about the baggage that comes with it...

oh yes overthinking is  my problem. Try that book I recommended to Anna. Am supposed to dip in and read section that I hi lite wen am down which does help. I will never be a thin person tho..but I do go to the gym daily in the hope that it helps my endorphins. Which I think it does ,,,but I gate exercise 

• Posted

I've had that book for a while now but haven't finsihed it - that and a few other self-help books.

I will never be thin either and don't want o be but I do  want to be thinnER and not this fat blob I see in the mirror.

Even on all different antidepressants, I still have THE darkest moments so thought 'What's the point'.

I used to do a lot of exercise and the best to get tose endorphins going is dancing so I must try to get back to that.

Depression stinks!

• Posted

I can definitly relate to the "what's the point?" feelings. I have been off Celexa for probably about three weeks or so now. My mood is fairly low and I do have some trouble sleeping. I am not getting a full eight hours. I have been dealing with a lot of sadness, worries, and fear. I don't know if this has increased since coming of the meds or if this is what was always there and the meds just had masked it. A close relationship of mine ended in February 2013 after six years of living together. Now I am thinking about her every day, throughout the day. I feel the loss like it happened yesterday. I guess I am still grieving. Also, I am concerned that I will not find a job. I moved back with my parents to come off the Celexa and am now living in IL as opposed to MO. I am a licensed counselor in MO but have to take a class and a test for my licensure in IL. The trouble I am having is trying to get into the graduate class I need to take. It seems like a lot of doors are closed for me and I am considering moving back to MO so I can work. It is fairly frustrating and no matter what options are available I see the potential down side to all of them. I am afraid of being in a different state from my mom in case I lose it all over again. I guess I feel pretty stuck. I don't even really want to get out of bed because of my "what's the point" thinking. 
    • Posted

Oh, I'm sorry you're feeling so low Marisa but I can relate to how you are feeling.  Life, at times, is a daily grind but, hopefully, something good is just around the corner.

I've had major traumas, in the last few years, including a relationship break-up.  I keep thinking and hoping we might see us again when circumstances are different because we still love each other and keep in contact.

I'm trying Mindfulness but it's hard.  We need to stop worrying about the future, because we can't plan it and it might not be as doom and gloom as we think.  I'm just trying to deal with the 'now' as life is pretty boring.  We have to force ourselves to find different interests because people don't come knocking on our doors.

Don't expect eight hours sleep as most people get by on 6 or 7 fine. 

We are all here together, struggling for some but fingers crossed we will get by.

Don't feel bad if you have to try another antidepressant.  maybe the time isn't right for you to come off.

• Posted

Hi Gillian.  

Ive been off citalopram for2 months now.  And feel very anxious at times and weight gain seems to be a big issue with me

i read about someone who gained 20 pounds.  OMG.  This is just like me.  And I don't like it at all

worrying about silly things and also not being able to concentrate. And memory loss.  Forgetting things.  

When will this stop 

I'm on this bloody iPad all the time listening to other people's thoughts on this

it can help that we are not alone

your comments would be of help 

• Posted

Hi Isabel, Although not as bad as before I went on it, I still get anxious forget things and am an ace worrier. I also try mindfulness , meditation, try to think in the present moment .If an unhappy thought crosses your mind take a few deep breaths and concentrate and say what your actually doing even if it's just doing the laundry .  You are not alone. I thought weight gain was more wen you were on cit. mind you weight gain has been an issue all my life! At times I think I should go back on it but it just stopped me thinking. Good in one way not in another! I am on st jons wort now.

has anyone else tried this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.