Does massage help with TKR scar tissue/pain?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Cheers.  I was in PT yesterday, sitting next to a women who'd torn a shoulder muscle.  She's an experienced, licensed masseuse, and she'd recommended a masseuse she'd been going to who is "very good with scar tissue."  She said that becase she's a masseuse herself, she knows real massage therapy from bogus massage.

I'm three weeks to the day from TKR of my right knee, and while I'm progressing fairly well (-2/100), I thought I'd give this a try, but wanted to check with my forum buddies to see whether anyone has had good/bad experience with massage therapy for pain and/or scar tissue relief.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

you must have gotten your surgery near mine, (on Aug 2).  How deep is your flexion?  Mine is only about 50.  I suspect scar tissue as well.
  • Posted

Yep, August 2 it was.  I'm really working hard on some of the exercises.  I actually find the wall slide to be somewhat enjoyable.  I know that I'm able to walk around better afterward, and I'm able to see my progress by how far down the wall I can go.  That's where I really push.  I want to see a 4-inch or more difference between my first stretch and my 10nth.  Some of the little games I play to make it through this.

I'm at 100 flexion, I can walk without a cane (but carry it anyway), and am just starting to climb stairs normally (but holding onto railing the whole way).  

I'm still about -2 or -3.  Doing the straight-leg exercise kills me. Am hoping to start driving again next week (Surgery was on my right leg, which makes it a bigger challenge.) 

Sorry if this sounds like bragging.  I guess it is. But I attribute it to ommitting to the exercises the correct number of reps, the correct times,a dn the correct number of sets per day).  I realized early on that there are no shortcuts. You've got to exercise to get rid of the scar tissue, ice to reduce swelling and pain, and elevate to reduce swelling.  I'm very fortnate in that my business allows me to work from home, which I'm able to do about half time.  Still on meds, which makes me a bit daffy, and I fatigue easily. Have a lot of trouble falling asleep, especially on active days, because my pain is so great.

• Posted

I was four days without pain meds and thought I could say goodbye to them, but went back to therapy with a new therapist so back on them, using them as a tool to continue to push for greater ROM.  You are right they make one loopy, AND tired.  Don't worry about bragging, that progresss is due to your dedication.  You diserve kuddos.  I am happy to hear others doing well.  I may just get there myself !

• Posted

Thanks Lynn.  What's your exercise regimen? How do you lkke your therapist?

• Posted

I do like this therapist, who seems knowledgable and able to answer my questions.  I'm not worried if some of the employees there were taken aback by my refusal to be worked on by the therapy assistant (not even licensed, just helps out) who felt making patients scream was acceptable.  My surgeon was horrified to hear about her methods.  I do the leg lifts, both straight and bent and then I use a strap to help pull the leg to a flexion position, then back to a minus extention with a roll under my heel - a technigue done sitting with legs flat out in front.  Another way is sitting in a chair with wheels, and rolling back and forth to flex and unflex - much like the constant motion machine.  The surgeon says more and more flextion can be gained even up to two years.  He calmed my fear about scar tissue which the one individual used to gain cooperation.  I'm betting she really loves hurting grown men in particular.  I feel sorry for the therapy office having someone like her who has got to be driving away business, because in all other aspects they are good business and I'd taken my mom there multiple times.  She sort of came right up to me as soon as I got back,  to let me know and I quote "it won't be me from now on hurting you."  Any future contact with her and I will ask her to run her techniques by the knee surgeons, so they know who she is. (haha)  And I feel for anyone who has had some skewed perspective thrust on them as to what is involved in getting your knee functional.  More I could comment on about that because I find odd personalities interesting, but it's off topic.

• Posted

Wow you've been so lucky I didn't get behind the wheel of the car for 3mths .. as even tho I had a great bend and straightening the swelling was horrific.  And even now at nearly 11mths and still struggling with swelling and bursitis I only drive short distances as my knee gets too stiff! 

So glad to hear that you are going great guns smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.