Does medication just stop working?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all merry Xmas hope you are all having a better time than me . I've been on 20mg since August and was feeling so much better ..I would go as far as to say almost recovered. but suddenly out of nowhere anxiety and depression have come back worse than ever to the point of being in bed for the last week. I'm wondering if the medication has stopped working ? or perhaps I've become used to the 20mg and need to go up to 30? any thoughts or ideas will be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi sean, i have the same problem, my anxiety came back and I have been very nauseous with low energy. going to talk to my psychiatrist and doctor about it. I've heard this does happen so its somewhat comforting.

• Posted

let me know what they say I'm pretty sure my gp will say up the dose but I'm not sure that's the thing to do

• Posted

I genuinely think it's this time of year. I went to bed all excited and woke up so over whelmed and sad this morning. It's hard now i think really 😦 try and realise it's the weather and the time of year honestley xx

• Posted

I was wondering that too Moaney, with all the rich food, festivities and alcohol, not to mention added stresr, it all adds strain on a body thats already under strain.

• Posted

Hi, im going through the same thing right now. ive been on 20mg now for over a year and ive been doing okay on them but for the last week or so ive started feeling really panicky again around tea time ish. it got so bad yesterday i ended up throwing up. im going to go to the doctors and see what they say if i should up my dose or try another tablet but i dont want to change them if im just going through a blip

• Posted

Do let me know what they suggest. it is frustrating as I was on 20mg for a year felt great so stopped taking them for 2 years and now I'm needing to use them again I thought they were working great again but all of a sudden they don't seem to be providing any relief from the anxiety or depression.

• Posted

ill let you know what they say. i know how you feel its very frustrating i just feel as thought all the progress ive made has gone and im back to where i was

• Posted

hi, how are you doing now? i went to the doctors and they have given me a few diazapam to take when i get really anxious, ive also booked an appointment to see a therapist for cbt so am looking forward to that. the doctor said see how i feel if i dont feel any better they'll increase

• Posted

Hi Sean, if you felt ok on 20mg try and stick to that. Even people that do not take meds have bad days and weeks, this could just be a blip, try and give it more time before upping the dose. For some if not all people the higher the dose the more numb the emotions become, I experienced that.

• Posted

I'm trying to hold off going back to the doctors but the longer I feel so bad the more appealing it is to go for a stronger dose .at this point numb emotions don't sound to bad.

• Posted

much of the same I'm afraid luckily I'm off work for Xmas until January 2nd so I've got a few more days of rest ahead of me. trying to hang in there until the end of next week. if I've had no improvement by then I'll have to go back to the gp who I'm fairly certain will up my dose as that's what she wanted to do last time I saw her.

• Posted

Hey Sean,

I started on 20mg. I got over the side effects mostly after around 4 weeks. I started to feel well for the most part but at week 8 I dipped really bad and was in a state of depression (I was prescribed them for Anxiety/Panic Attacks) My GP suggested I increase to 30mg. I was extremely reluctant after reading all the horror stories of ppl's side effects worsening etc with change in dose. I decided I had to try it though as I wasn't willing to give up on them altogether.

I have to say it was the best thing for me and I suffered 2-3 days of nausea & upset stomach....my low mood and anxiety only got better.

We are all so different and react differently too. Try not to assume you will suffer the same as others as I was like that and held off almost 2 weeks before upping, as I felt so conflicted by other's experiences. 😦 It is hard though not to believe you'll be the same as others, I know!!

Wishing you luck 😃

• Posted

Must admit I am leaning towards increasing since I've already been experiencing nausea and headache for over a week solid which is weird since I thought those were side effects from starting them back up but since I'm 18 weeks in I'm thinking it's probably not that. how's it going on 30mg?

• Posted

I've been much better on 30mg, but I am still suffering blips here and there. I can handle them better than before though. I've found the lead up to Christmas really difficult. Shopping for gifts, busy shops, hosting for family etc. Also I've been eating so much rubbish and on top of this, I've been taking my meds all different times of day. I think this is all setting me back a bit. I need to sort my s**** out or I'll spiral.

Also like I said before, I increased by an extra 10mg and I felt nothing but benefit from it. I was suffering anyway so I told myself what's a few more days if it's going to make me better in the long run. Turned out to be 3-4 days and I was well again. Still not 100% but 80% better I'd say. You'll get there too!! 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.