Does medication just stop working?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all merry Xmas hope you are all having a better time than me . I've been on 20mg since August and was feeling so much better ..I would go as far as to say almost recovered. but suddenly out of nowhere anxiety and depression have come back worse than ever to the point of being in bed for the last week. I'm wondering if the medication has stopped working ? or perhaps I've become used to the 20mg and need to go up to 30? any thoughts or ideas will be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sean

Sorry to hear your depression and anxiety is poor at the moment.

I have gone through exactly the same since I woke up Boxing Day. My depression and anxiety was triggered by an abusive bouncer standing outside a bar during xmas evening. Since then I have stayed in bed everyday but stopped drinking alcohol. This evening I managed to do this week's washing up and make myself a cooked meal and have started to feel a bit better. Tomorrow, Sunday, I am going to push myself gently into taking a walk along the seafront and maybe reward myself with a tasty cheap lunch. Any form of exercise seems to boost my mood and reduce anxiety. But it's just motivating myself is the problem. I keep thinking about the abusive bouncer which is driving me nuts. Just like an obsession. So I am thinking of asking my GP if I can change my antidepressant instead. I am currently on 40mg a day which I consider to be a lot. Also I'm seeing a good counsellor who is helping with my anxiety.

• Posted

sorry to hear you are suffering too Julian hope your feeling a bit better today... funny how one person's actions can effect is so much isn't it, kind of ridiculous really if we were able to think clearly without a anxiety/depression lens on. thinking I'm going to be joining you up on 40mg soon which I believe is the maximum dose?

• Posted

Was wondering Sean whether you are drinking alcohol over the festive season.

In the first couple of months of taking an antidepressant, I find having a drink or two really makes me wobble, almost to the point of feeling like I'm gone back to square 1.

Alcohol doesnt seem to affect me when I'm.settled on the drug.

Hope you're feeling improvement today,

Ruth.

• Posted

hi Ruth I think you are right alcohol when starting up really is a bad idea. it was for this reason I stopped drinking completely I have not had a drink for about 3 years .even when I stopped taking the citalapram the first time I still remained alcohol free. which kind of makes this all more frustrating I stopped drinking I swapped smoking for vapeing at a very low nicotine level And I eat a reasonably healthy diet all of which seems kind of pointless now if I'm still going to suffer regardless.

• Posted

Definitely not pointless Sean as you could feel a whole lot worse if you weren't doing all those things. Definitely worth speaking to your doctor.

• Posted

I can understand why it seems pointless, but honestly, it's not. You've done a lot of good for your body and mind with your diet and cutting out the alcohol.

I think the darker days could be at least partly responsible for the dip in your mood. It's harder to recover in the winter months, I think. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. I was doing really well in November, and December has definitely felt more difficult.

I'm holding out hope for the lengthening days.... really hoping they will bring a lighter, brighter mood.

Wishing you better 😊

• Posted

I will let you know if that's the case as I'm currently shopping online for one of those sad lamps to use in the mornings to see if it is a lack of daylight/ sunshine .

• Posted

I've got a sad lamp at home. It was a cheap one from Argos that I got years ago. It doesn't look as powerful as the ones I've seen recommended online but I swear it does make my mood lift after a couple of days, whether or not that's placebo effect, I don't know.

Yes, please do let me know if you get one and it's good. Am always on the lookout for recommendations. Also, have bought myself some vitamin d supplements, even though it was a glorious summer here in UK, I was inside and feeling rotten, so I kind of missed out on the vitamin d quota.

Happy New year, and wishing you an upturn in your mood very soon,

Ruth.

• Posted

Hey Sean, how are you doing now? Hoping you feel a bit better. Did you increase/SAD lamp in the end?

I used my old lamp, it's a crappy argos one, for about 5 days and it really lifted my mood. Also been taking a bit of vitamin d.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.