Does my mum hate me?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm really new to this but i didn't really know where else to turn. Basically i think i might have depresson but i don't know who to turn to. i don't know how to tell my parents because i know my mum won't understand, she often tells me i'm being silly about things and when i tell her honestly how i feel (that i am worthless and the world would be better off without me) she says i am over reacting.

Nothing i do is ever good enough and she makes me feel guilty that i don't work hard enough at things or do enough clubs. I want to but i find it hard to focus on words when i'm reading or writting essays and i have no enthusiasm for clubs or anything i used to enjoy. i argue loads with my mum and i just feel really trapped and like i want to run away when i see her and this morning she was shouting at me for doing the wrong revision (she said i should have been doing a different subject) and i slammed my door in her face i've never done this before as i am generally calm and definately respectful towards my parents but she made me feel really agitated and i just couldn't deal anymore! She won't listen to anything i say when i beg with her that what she's doing is wrong, she thinks because she's my parent i'm always the one that's wrong! I aways end up self-harming after an argument and i think about suicide a lot, i don't know maybe that's normal in girls my age because of hormones, i'm 17??

thank you for any help in advance smile

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You have to focus on yourself getting better, just remember that your mum loves you very much, some people find it harder to express than others but that doesnt mean she loves you any less. We dont always get it right, we just want the best for our children. We nag because we get frustrated. I have been nagging at my son about revision and exams, looking back i have unintentionally added pressure. We say things because we think we are helping, giving advice, guiding in the right direction. My son has turned from a happy popular boy, getting on at school, always known what he wants, to a vulnerable sensitive boy just like you he doesnt feel good enough. We all want our kids to do well, but ultimately his health comes first. I just want him to be his old happy self. Just like your mum will and she will be more supportive the more she gets to understand depression. Good luck x
  • Posted

Your mom is just worried and only wants the best for you.
  • Posted

Hi alliepal I thought I would share something with you I am a grandmother and am lucky to have a beautiful talented granddaughter of 16 for the past two years she has had an eating disorder she went from a healthy teenager to a mere skeleton she kept it from my daughter for a year and only found the courage to speak about how bad she felt last summer when her weight became noticeable my daughter took her to the doctors where she was referred to a counsellor and has been having fortnightly sessions she's improved slightly but is so picky with her food she still has a long way to go she's a talented singer and to the outside world she has it all but inside she has no confidence and thinks she is useless and has no friends. She doesn't confide in me but always seeks reassurance in her appearance from me so she is lettering me in a little, so many people feel like this so please don't feel alone just don't be afraid to ask for help as many times as it takes until your mum knows how bad you feel at this time and goes with you to the doctors also don't be afraid to be honest with the doctor as they won't be able to help if you don't . Of course your mum loves you and only wants the best for you but sometimes we just get on the wrong side of each other and it gets difficult to get your point over you have made the first step by talking to her and getting her to understand how your feeling good luck

Sue

• Posted

I feel somewhat similar to what your scenario is like. I used to be quite close to my my mum but when I started college I didn't enjoy it even in the slightest. I often take days off which makes the college phone my mum and I fall out with her every day that it happens. I don't know why I was excited to give college a try but I regret it now.
  • Posted

I feel the same way. Every time I'm sad, my mom yells at me saying that I just have an attitude and that I always act like that. I've always thought, "Everyone would be less stressed without me living. They'd be happier." What my mom doesn't know is that I cry and get upset because I'm sad but I could never explain why. I always wish that I was far away from earth, in my own bubble. I first thought that I was very close to my mom but I guess I'm wrong. Today I was upset again. She yelled at me like normally and called me a fraud, I'm selfish, and that I'm a brat. She thinks that I become sad because I don't like being told what to do. But there's so much more to that. I wish I could tell her but if I did she would get mad at me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.