Does range of movement improve after 6 weeks?

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am 6 weeks post Total knee replacement this Thursday. The physio I have seen has told me that the range of motion you have at 6 weeks is more or less what you are left with. At the moment I'm at 90 degrees but my target is 120. I need this in order for me to ride my motorcycle so hearing that I might not be able to ride it again is quite depressing. I still get nerve pain either side of my joint at night, it swells during the day, and it is very stiff first thing in the morning. Any advice would be really appreciated. 

Sue x 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh yes my range has improved tremendously even better than

before op but it does take time and work xx

• Posted

At 6 weeks, my range of motion was 50 extension (bent knee) and 90 flexion due to extreme swelling from an allergic reaction to dermabond glue. At 4 months my extension was 45 and flexion at 95. I got a new physical therapist that did hands on exercises with me and showed me what exercises I should be doing. Now two months later my extension is at 15 degrees and my flexion is at 105. The physical therapist expects me to continue to improve. Both the surgeon (who wanted to do surgery to remove adhesions and MUA) and physical therapists are amazed that I can now walk after being wheelchair bound for five months. I'm 67 and had TKR  'May 2, 2017. The point is our bodies have a tremendous ability to heal. 

At six weeks you are still early in your recovery. You have a goal and you can achieve it! Exercise, ice, rest. You are well on your way!

• Posted

it sounds like you've had an awful time. I've always managed to have a straight leg even day of the operation. Before the op I couldn't straighten it properly so I'm guessing that a lot of my problems are related to my hamstring muscle. At 18 days post op I was achieving 60 degree flexion and she started scaring me then about manipulation under anaesthetic. I absolutely tortured myself getting it to bend. Sitting in a chair forcing my leg backwards with the other leg pushing it. It was that painful I was biting a scarf and tears were just rolling down my face it was just horrific X 

• Posted

I hope what you've been told isn't true. I don't have a clue what my rom measurement is because I've never had physio, just exercises to do at home, so don't know how to measure it but I'm certainly not bending anywhere near fully yet. I thought we'd get better results as time goes on. I am seeing my doctor today for repeat meds so I'll be asking about this. I'm 6 weeks too Snoozy, I'll let you know what they say

• Posted

I'd love to hear what your doctor thinks. I see my consultant again next week it just scared me from what she said X 

• Posted

Well, believe it or not, my doctor didn't even look at my knee. She said that's what my follow up appointment with the surgeon is for. So it's a waiting game again until my appointment comes through

• Posted

I posted a similar question to yours not long ago. I was assured by the experienced reply’s that the supposed six week time frame for ROM is not the case. 

I was told you  can gain rom over a much longer period of time than six weeks. 

Among others, the invaluable advice from Chico Marx on this subject, gave me the confidence 

and determination to disregard the so called six week time frame.

All best wishes, you will be on your bike when ready for it.

• Posted

Jean how many weeks post op are you now? If it is longer than 6 weeks ago are you still seeing improvements? X
    • Posted

Snoozy, l am six weeks post op and have an 80 bend. This is a big improvement from the 50 two weeks previous. I will take this as a good sign for the future. 

Sometimes l think that some physios need to be more informed and sensitive to patients who are already under a deal of stress. It’s reassurance and encouragement we need.

Thank goodness for this forum in  giving both. Best regards

• Posted

As long as you are doing your regime and exercises all will be good at the end I couldn't attend physio as my husband was being treated for cancer and was unable to drive me there so just relied on myself to do and push myself #hard # but 10 months down the road I'm satisfied with the results as for 6 weeks recovery phist where are they coming from aye 6 weeks you've got your appitite back 😊😊😊😊

• Posted

Not my experience. My Rom improved a lot 10 to 12 weeks.
  • Posted

Forgot to ask are you in UK?

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abridged version which is shorter as well! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Lots about exercises! I am now 7 months post op!

• Posted

Hi Jenny thanks  for the reply. yes I'm in th UK I'm 47 years old, tore my me meniscus  cartilage quite badly when I was 25 and it had got progressively worse over the years. I'm quite active enjoying cycling both pedal power and with an engine but since having this op haven't been able to do either. I've read your blog and there are posts there of people improving even after 6 months. This has given me a massive boost as I have been beating myself up with my progress as I was under the impression that 6 weeks was D day X 

• Posted

It's not quite the same as a lovely bike but I found an inexpensive static bike a good tool in my rehab...got one for around 80 quid.

Possible to imagine you are moving forwards! 😁

People find pedalling backwards easier at first..

Don't worry, you will be back on both your bikes!

Just keep on resting, exercises little and often, patience and a sense of humour will take you a long way.

Ice, elevate knee above your heart, once the swelling reduces things naturally improve.

Just nudge it gently and respectfully along, no forcing, getting cross with it, or putting yourself in a place where you cause untold agony...not necessary...and your knee will thank you with a beautiful shining motion...in its own time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.