Does range of movement improve after 6 weeks?

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am 6 weeks post Total knee replacement this Thursday. The physio I have seen has told me that the range of motion you have at 6 weeks is more or less what you are left with. At the moment I'm at 90 degrees but my target is 120. I need this in order for me to ride my motorcycle so hearing that I might not be able to ride it again is quite depressing. I still get nerve pain either side of my joint at night, it swells during the day, and it is very stiff first thing in the morning. Any advice would be really appreciated. 

Sue x 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your therapist is either lazy or a fear mongerer. In five rehab I never achied max at 6 weeks and as much as 6 months I was gaining as long as I was continuing to work at it steadily. He needs more schooling or counseling. Just be steady and slow and you see another 1 or 2 degrees. Just make sure you are working to get to 0 on extension as that's what will keep you from having a lifetime limp and possible hip issues.

As bar as biking, many of us have had to give up something. For me it was good because of the number of surgeries and the root cause of my problem, a rare tumor. I couldn't get past the pain of turning on the ball and still trying to hit it like I was 25 again. You'll figure all that out as you go.

• Posted

Well he is a she I have to agree I was quite shocked when she said 6 weeks is D Day. I'm not giving up cycling I've already given up a lot of things in my life I'm do determined to get enough ROM to enjoy what I did previous to the operation X 

• Posted

Keep on keepin' on. Nothing but a grave can stop you from doing what you want. I have a friend thats 150lbs overweight that went through tkr even though his Dr was reluctant but the pain was so bad he had no options. He was back on his Harley in less than 6 months. He knows if he lays it down wrong he's in deep doo doo but it worth the risk to him. Like he told me, if something happens I have no one but myself to blame.

• Posted

I started PT 3 weeks post op at -14 / +84.  Did 10 weeks of PT @ 2x/week and ended up at -1 / +123.  Did all the home heel slides and squats too.  I'm 19 months post-op and am at 0 / +133 with exercise and activity.  Everyone is different.  Get rid of expectations and timetables.  Your knee will be better when it's better.  Time, work, patience.  

• Posted

My PT would not release me until I was at least 120/0 .  I did Home exercises and went to PT 3x week for 6 weeks and then 2X week for 6 weeks. At the end of 12 weeks I had great ROM.  Do not accept that this is as good as it gets.  Your ROM will determine your future activities. I am at 11 month’s post op.  I walk  and exercise easily.  I don’t run too well but that will happen eventually.  Keep exercising!
  • Posted

I have a hard time believing this since I have gained in ROM since 6 week mark. Keep atnit and everyone here has said we heal differently and it gets better over time. But we have to keep at it. Maybe try a new physio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.