Does Spiriva respimat cause side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

I havent actually been diagnosed with COPD but i did a spirometry test at the doctors and because i could not complete the 3rd blow successfully they couldnt give me a proper diagnosis. I am very confused because chest x-rays shows signs of early emphasema and i just cant stop the fags. I have been prescribed Spiriva respimat and a rescue inhaler as i do get breathless but months ago i did try the spiriva and i thought i was getting side effects from this. To be honest i have a lot of medical problems and i seem to not be able to tolerate many pills etc as im a person who was an Alcoholic for many years and since being dry for 9 years now i hate anything that makes my head feel fuzzy. I have the Spiriva sitting in my cupboard and i think i should give it a try again as i know my smoking is causing problems. Everytime i go to see any doctor they read my notes and always say copd but no one has told me if i have or dont have it. The spiriva was prescribed to help keep my lungs open.

Please can anyone give me advice on spiriva Respimat and is it any good or does it cause side effects. Thanks Mandie

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just so you know, Mandy, there will most likely never be a stress-free time to quit. We all think, or thought, that smoking relaxes us but smoking does the opposite because cigarettes are stimulants.

Here's something to keep in mind: you can always start smoking again!

• Posted

very true aitarg there always seems to be something stressfull going on in my life lately so thats no excuse. I will make a quit date and try my best to stick to it this time.

• Posted

Everybody here is cheering for you, even those who still smoke. Like I said, you can always start up again 😉

• Posted

i know quite a number of smokers and there biggest problem is giving up and they all seem to be getting bad coughs and still can not give up so i can understand were you are coming from however as a none smoker with copd i just say well that life now spiriva i was given instructions on how to use as i did not have a cough the nurse said it would be much easer to use taking good depth breaths to get

it in to the lungs is very important she said that some smokers do have a problem my farther was a smoker and he did go from 40 a day to 15 to 20 a day that did help a little but Diebetes got the better of him good luck

• Posted

Thank you Leonard. I dont suffer the nasty smokers cough yet but i must admit i get very breathless so i no i should be taking the Spiriva. You say that you take this and was given instructions which is great advice. Have you found Spiriva helps you and that in your case you havent suffered any nasty side effects. I always seem to get side effects from medications this is why i am apprehensive of taking the Spiriva so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mandie

• Posted

hi Mandy i am lucky as i only know when i forget to take it i do find that i will run out of breath very quickly then use i use ventolin to open my tubes so i can breath a little better i can only use spiriva at the same time of the day for best result People to say just stop smoking i dont think that is a good thing to say when one has orther problems doctors will say you must stop but do they understand the pressure one can be under with other worries and it will not help if you dont get the support you may need from family and friends and may be other services that may be available in your area god bless you do your best over the festive season len

• Posted

hi first of all happy Christmas with regards to your smoking just ask yourself each time you go to get that fag ask yourself DO I REALY NEED THIS CAN I WAIT TEN MINS that is how my dad cut down good look

• Posted

Hi Leonard,

Merry Christmas to you too. I am currently trying to cut down but to be honest i find Christmas very stressful as suffer bad anxiety but i have decided to give it my best shot of giving up in January not New Years Eve as tried that so many times as felt pressured so give it a week into the new year and thats when i will try.

• Posted

mandy hope all is ok now i have a story to tell .with Christmas and all the running round one dose i took my dose Spiriva in the morning as normal and only about an hour after i was a bit breathless so used my Ventolin boy did i feel rough so now i wait for about 2 hour before i use Ventolin if i need to. could it be that with you smoking to soon after trying Spiriva could this help as i found even as a none smoker sorry if this does not sound right but i am still running round like a fool

• Posted

Hi Leonard thank you for sharing this as yes most probably smoking straight after taking Spiriva could be the reason i feel i'm getting side effects. I hope that you are ok now as Christmas and New Year can be very stressful as in my life i find that if i don't visit certain people on specific days then they make me feel guilty which doesn't help with my breathing, Panic attacks or trying to cut down the cigarettes.

• Posted

i know just were you are coming from as i have similar feelings myself. this time of year is as you said quit stressful please remember what i said try and wait 10 mins before that fag try and find something to do to help take your mind off the fags something you like to do that may be a bit of fun but please do not smoke at the same time as that 10 mins could be 15 now good luck have happy new year all the best

• Posted

Happy New Year to you Leonard and thank you for the advice about trying to wait that little bit longer between cigarettes i will definitely give this a try. Hope 2019 is a good year for you.

• Posted

mandy 4711 hi mandy i have joined a breath easy group and to day they had a nurse from the weast lancashire quit squad the amount of info about stopping smoking was just amazing i don,t know if there is something like that in your area if there is please try as all life is important lets know len

• Posted

Hi Leonard,

Thank you for letting me know. I will find out if there is a service like this in my area as it sounds very helpful and i am not having much luck quitting on my own as lack confidence so soon as i feel anxious then out come the cigarettes again. I will let you no how i get on with finding help. Take care of yourself and thanks for thinking of me.

Mandy

• Posted

The American Lung Association has tons of free info on how to quit and I imagine that the British Lung Association does, too. In the States most big hospitals have free support groups, tho we don't have quit squads -- it would make too much sense to have govt-funded folks dedicated to helping folks quit one of the most harmful drugs out there.

Please believe, Mandy: you are not the first person with anxiety to quit smoking. These groups will have great suggestions to try and one of them will work for you.

• Posted

Hi aitarg

I am going to the Doctors end of the week so will ask them as i am pretty sure there is a quit smoking group in my area but need referring so hopefully they will do this for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.