Does the drowsiness go away?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been on mirtazapine 15mg before bed and the drowsiness is unbelievable - was advised to go home as so sleepy, also feeling quite fuzzy and slow. Just wondered did people find the drowsiness goes away after a while / gets better? Thanks

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

p.s. forgot to write i've been on 15mg for a couple of days, and was advised to go home from work. see, so fuzzy! 
  • Posted

In my experience I have felt dizzy and as though I am still drunk with a hang over if that makes sence. My P doc said it should were off in a couple of weeks so I am sticking with it. Been ill for so long I will try anything, during this time I haven't been able to work so don't have that pressure, doing normal things are so difficult and I don't know how I am going to feel from hour to hour never mind day to day. I am looking forward to doing things again, at least the deep depression and panics have lifted so fingers crossed
  • Posted

iv been on them for 12 days now and the drowsiness is still there when i take them  strangley when i up the dose as doctor instructed was drowsie but could nt sleep 

went fro 15mg to 30 mg so i to would appreciate any info ! , all the best and hope you feel better soon .

• Posted

When I went up to 30 I didn't sleep either only lasted a couple of days then back sleeping ok. Although I feel tired during the day I can't cat nap.
    • Posted

The big problem i have is i am self employed and if i don t work i don t get paid so having to get up and go to work every day and trying to act normal is difficult , thats why im afraid to keep trying different dose s , every day after work i say thankyou god for getting me through the day without anyone knowing im struggling . thanks for the feed back !
    • Posted

I did the same thing for years but not self employed, became a very good actress but it took its tole and I eneded up a mess in the end. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi 

the first few days I was really like a zombie same as you after 3 days wasn't as groggy but still really tired and dizzy 

• Posted

The dizzy thing is wired, think I am going to fall or pass out but I don't. Tried doing thinks slow and fast to see if it makes any difference but it doe sent seem to. The only time I feel really normal is when I sit down but can't spend my life sat down!
    • Posted

exactly how ive been feeling. actually almost fainted on ward round this morning rolleyes
    • Posted

It's awful I am not working so don't have that problem, don't know how you do it but you don't have any choice I expect. Take care JudithJudith
    • Posted

Hi Judith. I'm new to this side. I'm thinking of starting this meds soon. Concerned about side effects especially drowsiness and how long it last in the day time. Ben very down and anxious and debating to take it or not. Sincerely Connie.

• Posted

Hi I am on day 2 ....1st day I took my med at 8pm sunday 30th after I worked along day 12.5 hrs . Next day very tired all day up till 5 pm that day. That night I took med at 7.45 pm and went to sleep at 10 pm and woke up at 6.50am feeling good... I will let you no how I feel tomorrow x
    • Posted

I have cut over to Mirtazapine from Venlafaxine.I started on 15mg for several weeks, and then increased to 30mg.  15mg made me dopey, but I was told that increasing to 30mg should reduce the impact.  I have now been on 30mg for over a month, but the sleepiness continues. I was advised to take it at 6pm, but if I do this I am going asleep at 8-9pm, curtailing an evening.  I estimate the sleepiness/ woody feeling/sedation lasts about 16 hours from taking, making the mornings very difficult.  I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had less drowsiness from taking a higher dose, as I was advised.  I am considering going to 45mgin the hope that the greater stimulation of the maximum dosage will overcome the sedative effect.
    • Posted

Hi Alison, I've been on 7th day now taking the mirt...very tired and sluggish today. I'm on 30 mg now. And some night I sleep good and than sometimes only 3 hours..how are you doing-? Would love some encouragement.

• Posted

Hi all its been 9 days now not tired in mornings at all. taken them at 8pm. Not got any side effects from them. It was the 1st night i felt i had side effects.
    • Posted

hi epistle.  mirtazapine is a drug that the body gets use too . i was on 15mg for about a year to 16 months then sleeplessness became a problem so it was upped to 30mg i was on that for about a year then the same happened on 30mg then i was put on 45 mg and no difference between 30 and 45mg from starting mirtazapine my sleep pattern was 9 to 10 hours a night i have only been on 45mg for about 8 months and my sleep pattern has decreased to about  7 hours now so the sedative affect does were off but its took over 3 years in all for me .  mirtazapine should be taken when going to bed only . i hope the infomation has been helpful to you and wish you well.
    • Posted

Saw the Dr last week and he has up them to 30mg . I find being on 30mg i am less hungrey and no side effects feeling good. how you getting on now Korne
    • Posted

Hi there, yesterday I felt tired all day and felt really low. Hoping today will be better. Still in bedsmile I hope I will feel better each day instead of not knowing how I feel from day to day.
    • Posted

I feel the same way. I was prescribed this medicine about 2 weeks ago, at 15mg I can't take it everyday. I work construction, and I feel weak and lightheaded, dizzy all day. Simple jobs take everything I've got now. I'm 6'1', 250 lbs, decent shape, usually very strong and a lot of energy, usually eat healthy too. Now I am just zapped, and find I'm just sitting around eating snacks and candy all the time. It's like I can't stop eating. And the dreams, oh my, very strange and very vivid...a couple nights ago I dreamed I was a flying rabbit... My mood is better, I don't feel so depressed and anxious anymore, but at what cost? I'm going to stick with it because mentally I do feel so much better, but physically I am worn out. It's sort of a catch 22. Such is life I suppose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.