Does the drowsiness go away?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been on mirtazapine 15mg before bed and the drowsiness is unbelievable - was advised to go home as so sleepy, also feeling quite fuzzy and slow. Just wondered did people find the drowsiness goes away after a while / gets better? Thanks

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes it goes away. I've been on mirtazapine for 15weeks in total now. I started on 30mg and after 10weeks went upto 45mg. Generally it shouldn't feel so bad after about a week or 2. I know it puts some people off mirtazapine, but it honestly goes away, and once it does..there are minimal side effects..well I have no side effects as do many other mirtazapine patients smile xx
    • Posted

thanks rachel. as judith says, it's reassuring to hear a success story! smile
    • Posted

also of note, i spoke to my GP this evening and she says the drowsiness paradoxically goes away the higher the dose.
    • Posted

That's what I was told as well seems the best dose is 45 from what other people have said, we will see
    • Posted

Supposedly so, apparently the lower doses are better for sleep...but I have found no difference..I still sleep perfectly. Mirtazapine is pretty gentle compared to most antidepressants. I know it doesn't always work for some people. I was very up and down on 30mg, and that's what made me go up to 45mg, but I seem to be turning a big corner now smile xx
    • Posted

Some people get by perfectly on lower doses, but generally, mirtazapine is most theraputic for tackling anxiety and depression at doses 30mg and above, but some people find it does the trick on lower xx
    • Posted

Well done its nice to hear gives me something to look forward to thanks RachelRachel
    • Posted

That's okay. Remember that people are my inclined to write bad experiences online...just like holiday reviews! If you get on well on meds, you're less likely to research them online. I'm glad that 45mg seems to be doing the trick for me now, hopefully you'll feel the benefit of yours soon smile
    • Posted

That's very true but it has really helped me to have these chats and I hope we can all help each other. The benefits are there in my head just waiting for my body to follow!
    • Posted

yes it's very true about the negative bias; people rarely come online to write about having no problems! 
    • Posted

It's nice to talk and try and help each other even if some of it is negative we can turn it into positives sometimes neutral
    • Posted

Deffo helps to have others to talk to who understand. That website I messaged you Judith will be very helpful to you too, if you enjoy getting support from others smile
    • Posted

yes it made me feel much better knowing there were others going through a similar experience. and Judith mirtazapine is one of the most effective antidepressants - so i've decided after much literature surfing - so hopefully it should help us all feel a bit more up and then you will be able ot work again (though hopefully not be worrying about drowsiness as you wont have any!) smile 
    • Posted

That's great to hear, don't hold out much hope for work as I am 59 this year but enjoy volunteering at menlat health matters caffe.  Would really like to start a little business helping people that can't get out for whatever reason, shopping chat housework etc. had some cards printed before I got really ill, one day maybe lol
    • Posted

Hi Rachel.  I didn't have any problems whilst actually taking Mirt, just after stopping taking it!  The original problem (why I started taking it in the

first place) went away, so I decided I didn't need them any more.

I am in the scond month of withdrawal now, having cut down from one every other day, then every other twe days etc. until taking none at all (which is 6 weeks ago) and I am STILL suffering with withdrawal.

Eveyone says - just take another tablet - you'll be fine!!! No way!

I've gone this far.  Its the sleepiness that gets to me and the LACK of appetite (although gained 20 kilos in 2 yrs!!!) You all know how hard it is to loose weight, so this is a real bummer.

I don't know why I was prescribed this drug in the first place - I only had mild depression.  The doctor should be horse-whipped for causing me 2 years of mental agony,

Anyway, Moaning wont get me anywhere, basically, for me it's put up or shut up!!!

• Posted

My doctor starded me on 7.5 mg he said after 1 week go up to 15mg I still feel so sleepy hard to get up does the fatigue go way and when do you feel much better I have been trying different antidepresants for my anxiety and panic attacks and depression last medication I felt so sick on zoloft50mg insomio for days and vomiting non stop so I hope this makes me feel better
    • Posted

Thank you, Rachael, for sharing your experience.  See my recent posting for mine.  You make me feel more confident that raising my dosage from 30 to 45mg will improve my drowsiness. smile
    • Posted

Really need encouragement, I'm on mirt for a week now, anxious and very tired this morning .

• Posted

Dr is trying to raise 7.5 to 15 but having done this for a week i am nauseous and very tired. Dont feel right in myself and think i need to drop down again. Nightmares arrived too.  He really wants me up to 30 or 45 but my body just seems to become worse when i increase.  This ismthe second time ive tried it.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.