Does this ever get better

Posted , 8 users are following.

had chest infection in March and had spirometry test done end of April it had went down from 79% to 39% since then constantly breathless feel ive had enough, doctor now gave me a steriod inhaler you take once a day no helping, so scared at the time to ask does it go back up or is this it? cant work cant drink all makes it worse !

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Margaret.  I've read many similar stories in the Facebook group I'm in called Ultimate Pulmonary Wellness.  It can take a good while  to get back to yourself.  Your drop in long function is to be expected because of the chest infection.  Is your infection totally gone?  Is it mainly sob that is the problem?

• Posted

what is sob then and who the hell knows if chest infection is gone no one tells me even where i am i hv no copd nurse now where i live as they have gone and doc just found out the other day it fell so much

• Posted

sorry i sound like i am being horrid to you there, i am so down since last week not getting out i dont mean to be.  i have to wait to see in 2weeks if i have another chest infection always takes so long to come back. i just want to know if it will go back up as if i have another one it will fall to serious .  dont want to think i have to stop working at  60. thanks
    • Posted

sorry i sound like im being horrid to you there i didnt mean to really just so down with the shortness of breath and not working etc. i get my chest x-ray back in 2weeks always takes a while here.  when  you say it is expected with chest infection does that mean it will go back up therefor helping my breathing again?
  • Posted

I wish I could giveyou the answer. Have you had another test done recently? Could go back up really depends.talk to your doctor. I know it's scary but they have true information instead of the torture we give ourselves. Feel better let us know how it goes. It could even be one med messing up the inhaler from working. You really never know.

• Posted

Hi Margaret

Some of the steroid inhalers take about a month to be effective, which is not of any comfort to you. What kind is it, and were you on inhalers before the infection?

• Posted

i was on the blue one to take when breathless which does not really help when im out This one is to be taken once in the morning a red one with 30 doses  no really sure what this is for if it is to improve my breathing again or if it will take my lung function percent back up.
    • Posted

From what mu doctor told me some are for emergencies and some are for bettering daily living. The daily ones may also get your breathing levels back up but they do take at least a month to work.
    • Posted

thank you, its just that all this is new to me as for the first 2years everything was fine and manageable but now it has just went mental in the last 4 month and i am finding it all to much to handle
    • Posted

No need to be sorry. It is a lot to handle. You are only human. Check out the Facebook group that was mentioned in an earlier response. It's a good place to find info and good company.

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

I haven't been able to spend much time here lately.

The red one: too many red/part-red inhalers & of different types for us to guess.

The blue one: yes, it's called a "rescue" inhaler, albuterol, but that's misleading. When things are bad it can be used 2 puffs x 4/day, and that t sounds like that's how you should be using it now. Some folks always have to use it that way; the rest just use 2 puffs when we're sob or have a jag of dry coughing. It does work best with a spacer, but you can make it work without one.

If you've been using the red one for a month with no improvement, call the doc's office right away.

Your doc doesn't seem to be giving you much info. Write down questions as you think of them then take the list with you.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

you are totally correct i do not get info, ive no idea what is for what. When i went to see my doctor last week he had no idea it was down so low from 79% to 39% so the red one he gave me was a round one ANORO managed to get up a brae today and was so happy so dont know if its cause that one dose of the steriod inhaler or what. The thing is for 2years wd get 2 flare ups a year i knew when i got breathless wd call my COPD nurse and tell her was going on steriods and A.Bs and was ok its only being since March this year ive went down so fast since chest infection and cant get it back up so i had been struggling so much to walk etc. Also there is no COPD at my surgery now and i see on here folk have been on some sort of short cours
  • Posted

Greetings Margaret, 

I am sorry to say I am the same as you, I have tried just about everything.No help.

However I am thinking of trying Buteyko next, I have researched it on the computer and it has good reports....

• Posted

how do you mean with the test result or the breathing? never heard of Buteyko what does that do and do Doctors give it ?  i m just wondering if vitims get in the way also i take VC and Cod liver oil and Glucosamine Sulphate

• Posted

No Margaret Dont think Doctors do it, but if you do a computer search, you will find someone who does do it you could do some research on it first, its not cheap to have the Buteyko therapist teach you the retraining of your breathing either but do som

Research on it like I have done, I have never had any

Luck with the Inhalers.

Good luck,

Miranda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.