Does this ever get better

Posted , 8 users are following.

had chest infection in March and had spirometry test done end of April it had went down from 79% to 39% since then constantly breathless feel ive had enough, doctor now gave me a steriod inhaler you take once a day no helping, so scared at the time to ask does it go back up or is this it? cant work cant drink all makes it worse !

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi are you diagnosed with copd?  If you have had an infection for a long time and can't get rid of it I would expect a doctor to ask for a sputum sample to identify which bug it is and give you the right ab's. 

Have you ever had a CT scan?   Might be a good idea to ask for one.  x

• Posted

yes i have copd. and i did a sputum sample which came bk normal, not had a CT scan what is that for? all i know is that since my last chest infection it has just buggerd me up big time.

• Posted

So it looks like you haven't got a chest infection then if it is normal.   Sputums samples are often used to identify the bug so the doctor can give you the relevant ab's.

Doctors are very keen to diagnose copd and nothing further,  but if you are getting repeated infections or long term ones something else may be going on as well as or instead which a chest x-ray wouldn't show.  A CT scan would which is why I suggested you ask for one.  x

• Posted

Hi Margaret, you need to go back to your doctor and communicate the steroid inhaler is not helping you.  What other inhaler meds do you have and do you use them as prescribed?

Ask your doctor for a referral to pulmonary rehabilitation where you can learn how to manage your symptoms and avoid further lung infections.  Things learnt on PR applied to daily life can help you become stable, once stable your lung functioning can improve some, but keeping stable doesn't come without effort, to some extenty that depends on you.

• Posted

For those unsure about meds and understand aspects of COPD you may want to read this post https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tips-know-the-difference-478568

There are several links to patient UK pages or you can search patient UK top right.

If you live overseas check with your countries lung association or federation for what is available to you locally.

in brief the blu inhaler, ventolin, salbutamol etc is a reliever medicine, it is a short term broncho dilater it can last up to 6 hours widening the airways.  If your technique is incorrect you won't be getting the benefit of the medicine.  Check with your doctor, respiratory nurse or pharmacist your technique, check also the information leaflet the comes with the medicine.

If you have difficulty getting the medicine to reach those parts it can benefit you may do better using a spacer (aero chamber), if you get one of these ask about using this and if in doubt refer to the information leaflet that comes with the spacer.

Steroid inhalers are preventer medicine, they help prevent lung and airway inflammation, daily medicine as prescribed by your doctor.  Some steroid inhalers may need a spacer to be sure the medicine reaches down into the lungs when inhaled.  

• Posted

thank you i see him on monday so will ask about that referral, i just thought that this was my life now but this has gave me hope thankyou
    • Posted

Margaret. if you have a cell phone with a camera on it, you can video your entire doctors visit and then ask any and all questions and have them answered and recorded.....I would suggest you do that or take someone with you who can identify and perhaps write down everything that he tells you.  I would also keep a book with every single test they have run on you and each test that comes in the future.  A copy of each prescription and what it's for.  Your concern is normal ...it is quite overwhelming to get the news of COPD and then have no support group.  We are all going through a new journey in life.  One we didn't want, but we have it and we are all going to have to be proactive in our daily lives.  Staying away from sick people, out of crowds, cleaning fluids, perfumes, candles, and anything that could and will aggrivate your pulmonary functions.  If you start coughing you need to not think it's just a cold any longer...seek medical attention immediately.  I personally carry a medrol dose pack and a prescription for antibiotics just in case I am away from my physicians if any symptoms should arise.  But being away from them won't keep me from seeking medical attention someplace else.  Pneumonia and septic pneumoccal can and will take you out if not treated immediately.  If your blood ox levels are not at 90 and above, ( and you need to get a blood ox to keep by your side so you can  check our breathing and heart rate.  Please exercise your lungs, If you must fly get up and walk around about every 2 hours.  Same with driving a vehicle....stop the car and get out ever 2 hours....walk around for 15 to 20 minutes before getting back in the car.  Your legs and limbs can and will not circulate properly if you are sitting in the same position for too long.  You'll end up sicker and sicker.  Watch to see if you feet and legs begin swelling...That's a real tell tell sign that your infection is getting worse.  Research, your disease and know there are others of us out here going thru the same things.  We know how frightening it can be.  So hang on...You got a lot of living to do.  Best of luck and God Bless.  Breathless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.