Does this sound like a potential kidney issue?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all smile I'm asking this question on behalf of my mum, who is 62 and no particular health problems. I'll keep it brief.

Over the past several months she has developed the following symptoms;

Urinating less often with a lack of urge to need to pee and only urinating in small amounts.

An aversion to eating meat

Slight weight gain around stomach

Slight intermittent puffiness to face and fingers.

For about the past 18 months she has been treated for Rosacea.

She was chatting with someone who is a district nurse about diets and mentioned this sudden aversion to meat which she is finding really weird. The nurse said that could actually indicate a kidney issue. 

As I am diabetic, I had someone protein testing sticks and gave them to her to test her pee. The indicated a moderate level of protein. 

She saw her GP today. He tested a sample and said there was quite a significant amount of protein. He said this could be an infection and also randomly mentioned the menopause, even though she is well past that. But he's sending the sample off and she is getting blood tests tomorrow for; 

HbA1C, B12 & Folate, Lipid, U&E, Vit D, Iron, FBC, Liver Function, Calcium, Thyroid.

So, questions is, do these generally sound like symptoms that could be associated with kidney issues? She is a bit concerned about being fobbed. Also, are there any blood other blood tests that would be helpful. I know when I go to my diabetic reviews they do my ACR and eGFR, etc. Does anyone know if these will be included in my mum's tests what she is being sent for?

Any help much appreciated. 

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you MrsO and Marj.

It really is bad, isn't it? It gets better, the last thing the receptionist told her yesterday was that if the doctor doesn't get back to her then to phone back tomorrow (today) but they are going to be shut in the afternoon, so call after 12pm but before 1pm.

She called three times and was on hold for up to 10 mins each time and no answer each time. 

?So yet another day passes.

• Posted

How is your mother feeling as all this drags on? I'm miserable when I have a UTI. I certainly hope she's not feeling as miserable as I do!

Even if she is feeling reasonably well, this is not good--it will, very likely, progress to a full blown kidney infection.

Marj

• Posted

She actually feels fine. Her symptoms are much more subtle and have come on slowly over the months, that's why I am thinking it's possible that she has CKD rather than just a UTI. It was the GP who suggested a UTI because of the protein in her sample. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah

So first of all usually the 'symptoms' of uti are treated not the urone stick tests.

So if you have frequency, urge, pain or dragging sensation with or without back/abdo pain on passing urine then antibiotics are recommended.

Protein in urine and recuced output are not signs of typical uti.

It wont hurt to continue antibiotics and if there is kidney disease or renal problems then the wait for the gp is 'acceptable ' as not much can be done right at this moment other tham referral.

I suspect/hope if the kidney tests were abnormal then you would have een contacted asap.

Hoping its a simple uti

Good luck x

• Posted

Sorry re typos fat fingers lol
    • Posted

Jane, I always seem to have protein showing in my urine when I have a UTI.
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O

Do you not have protein in urine without uti?

It is only 1 positive on a urine dip, very few Uti tests on urine dip are positive for protein alone or with blood leuco ytes and njtrites, usually the symptoms are always treated regardless of urine dip analysis.

• Posted

No, I'm assuming that each time I'm given the all clear the protein has settled along with the bactera (often e-coli) blood, leucocytes and nitrites pres usually present.

• Posted

Yes thats why protein on its own does not usually confirm a uti.

If present with the nitrites and or leucocytes that would be acceptable to confirm uti along with symptoms.

This lady doesnt have symptoms of uti which is concerning. Hopefully she will get some info asap x

• Posted

Hi Jane

I know exactly what you mean. I did not think it was a UTI either. I wonder if it's possible that she does have a UTI as well as kidney issues? It appears nothing other than cholesterol and blood glucose have flagged up on the tests, though. 

She says her urine output has been improving, so I'm not sure. 

• Posted

Jane, hopefully, for her sake, it will turn out to be ‘just’ a UTI.  And it isn’t impossible to have a UTI without symptoms/without being aware.   That is exactly the experience of a neighbour of mine who was totally unaware of any problem until she was taken to A&E after fainting and where a UTI was found to be the culprit.  This is not uncommon amongst elderly people.

• Posted

Hi MrsO

I completely agree!

Thankfully her blood results didnt show any signs of renal disease .

• Posted

Quite, Jane.  She would say that one in the family with renal problems was enough.......her hubby is under a nephrologist!
  • Posted

So almost 4 weeks after blood tests, mum gets a call to say her kidney function is on the low side and it will get monitored every six months. No more information, no appointment made, nothing.

Mum told them she already had an appt with the nurse over raised glucose levels and was told by reception that they would ask the nurse if she still needs to come in for that!! 

Honestly! I've told my mum she really needs to be pro-active with this surgery. She's totally confused and is on and off the phone. She has no idea whether she is diabetic, whether she has kidney disease or what is going on. I keep telling her to go down and speak to them face to face and also get a print out of results. She would for anyone else but is letting them pass the buck on her constantly. 

Fingers crossed, she will pick up a print out and I will post relevant info here. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Id do one of 2 things, either go with you mum to the GP for an explanation

Or

See another GP!!

Good Luck!

• Posted

Do medical practices on your country have patient portals (web sites) where you can find all your medical reports as well as ask follow-up questions after appointments? If so, your mother would need to give her permission but with her permission you would be able to access her patient portal. Then you could at least see her data.

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.