Does this sound like Chronic Pancreatitis to you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey Friends, wondering if anyone can help steer me in the right direction. I have had pain and soreness ON my left rib cage, under my breast and around to under my arm pit - following the rib cage line - for the past 6 years. It is worse if I am constipated (sorry for TMI), and much worse if I have wine. I am not a heavy drinker, but did enjoy a couple glasses on the weekends. I have not had any for a few months, and the pain seemed better overall. I had champagne this week at a celebration - not a lot - a couple of glasses, and the pain the next day was the worse in a while - not so much that I can't function, but always there, like a burning, sore to the touch feeling on my rib cage. It's better when I am lying down, very still. And as I said, it is the left rib cage itself, not below.

I have had multiple CT scans that show only diverticulosis and colon polyps. I have had an MRI that was normal, and an ultrasound that showed a mildly fatty pancreas. My GI doctor says it is not my pancreas, but I just don't know what else it would be, given the area that hurts. I have diarrhea at times, especially after any alcohol ( which I am again done with), and am often constipated. My bloodwork over the years, including pancreatic enzymes is always normal.

So I guess, does it sound like chronic pancreatitis? I have not lost weight, but am frequently bloated. I want to see another GI, but I am afraid they will not pursue it. It's been going on for so long, and the doctors give me no answer.

I do have stress (don't we all?). I have a daughter with autism, one with Asperger's, and care for my mom with dementia. But still, I cannot figure out why this always hurts. If it is chronic pancreatitis, would I benefit from starting enzymes now?

Many, many thanks. I know you are all dealing with a lot.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

time makes my pancreatitis worse. I was diagnosed in November didn't feel anything until December and now February it's very noticeable one day after the next the increase in pain and everything. can't keep up the medication doses for one full month because the dosage needs to be relooked at every few days now. in fact I have to go into the hospital for the first time Sunday because I will be out of medication and they won't refill it until the 5th. I can't go until Friday without medication. So I'm checking myself into the hospital. does that answer your question I know it's really big but that's the only thing I noticed is that it just gets worse with time and sometimes just waking up triggers it doesn't have to be anything special it's there always

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.