does this sound like gallstones?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all,

so been having very mild discomfort under right side ribs, sometimes ribs are tender as well, and other times sternum or top of pectoral muscle tender to press. must stress it's not pain, more tenderness/discomfort.

i do suffer from acid wich is controlled with 75-150mg of rantitidine, if i don't drink alcohol or spicy food i can sometimes go without, i do drink a couple of glasses of white wine pretty much daily (i know!)

so doc sends me for ultrasound which all looks pretty normal except for dilated cbd, around 8.9mm. couldn't see all of cbd as some gas in bowel apparently

currently have no tendeerness but conscious of area, might be psychosomatic

any thoughts on why cbd is dilated, is 8.9mm a lot? 50yr old male btw.

having a blood test soon for completeness but any thoughts people?

thx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too have an inflamed bile duct which was found on an ultrasound at the end of December. I'm in pain/discomfort most days and dr assumes gallbladder. Blood tests all clear so had an endoscopy to rule out ulcers etc have also had an MRCP to look at ducts,liver pancreas and gallbladder but still waiting for results as massive backlog so unfortunately I still don't know.hopefully you will find out sooner. Please let me know when you do.
    • Posted

Hi Sam, hope all goes well for you.

Funny thing is I'm in absolutely no pain, just eaten a home made Thai curry with full fat coconut milk which must trigger bile release and I'm fine, weird!

How dilated was your cbd BTW?

Cheers

• Posted

No idea they didn't tell me only that it wasn't life threatening but that they would have to investigate. When my discomfort started back in November that's was mild but now 5 months,on I get quite a lot of pain on. Hopefully yours won't develop like mine has
    • Posted

I had very similar thing about 7 years ago, had us but it was fine, maybe I have a normally large one, cbd that is ;-)
  • Posted

My experience with Gall Bladder attacks. It's torturous pain, lots of vomiting after eating anything greasy. My first attack I went to the emergency room thinking I was having a massive heart attack. It's extremely painful.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Mick,I had an attack of acute cholecystitis last month and was given antibiotics and an ultrasound showed large stones. Since then,I have not really been careful with what I eat or drink,including alcohol but have been OK.I can feel pretty much what you describe, IE awareness of the area,dull ache under right ribs,slight tenderness when certain parts are pressed.So I think that might be the norm for me now and your symptoms do sound like gallstones. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks, was the cholecystitis painful? I've never had pain just mild discomfort. The US also showed no stones in the GB, maybe one in the obscured part of the cbd? Sludge? Already passed and dilation was the aftermath?

Still feel fine but with that nagging sensation rather than anything "real".

• Posted

Yes,it was painful when the infection was happening, though not the agony that some people have experienced! Yes,IIT could be sludge or an obscured stone or even a mild infection,have ypou had any antibiotics?
    • Posted

No, doc suggested blood test first. I have no fever, nausea, pain, nothing. Except for a sensation of awareness of something whicjh I can feel right side bottom of ribs and radiated to neck , could it be related to reflux? Could acid inflame the cbd via the opening to bowel?
  • Posted

Sadly,I don't know!I've had serious reflux for years and never had what you describe until my own gallbladder problems but of course it's all part of the digestive system so who knows?
  • Posted

Hi, Mick,

I hope my comments help.  Not everyone has the "classic" symptoms that doctors like to see, everyone is different.  Ultrasounds are often not definitive.  As you said, you could have sludge in your gallbladder, or something else could be happening.  So, my suggestion is to have more definitive tests than an ultrasound.  In my experience, the accuracy of this test can depend on many things, including the technician's technique.  There are other conditions that can cause this type of tenderness, including a fatty liver.  If you think that something is going on, it's probably best to find out what, before it presents itself as something more urgent.  Good luck to you, and let us know how you're doing.  

• Posted

Hi Lynda, I did consider fatty liver but have none if the symptoms and US didn't show any liver issues, just the dilated cbd, we'll see what the blood tests show.
    • Posted

Good for you for even considering it!  You sound like you're going to be your own best advocate when dealing with your doctors.  Let us know how you do, and hope you get sorted soon!
  • Posted

Has anyone mentioned costochondritis, you might look that up. There a lot of organs around  that area too.  It could be an old injury or try diet especially too many vitamins or  any recent meds or overcounter meds. Process of elimination  to see if something you are taking is causing inflamation. Myself and a couple of freinds who had gall stones had no pain but unexplained , unpredictable projectile type painful vomiting. Otherwise we had no discomfort with stones but some people get sporadic stones stuck and it clears up or it needs surgery right away.  This sounds more like something you are doing in your diet or exercise. I did have more  severe stomach and IBS issues when I had gall stones and a gall bladder, but I still have some of those issues related from stress. And with out a gall bladder I am unable to eat pasta now or grease of any kind. It just sits there and I feel so bloated it hurts. And gas pills do nothing, do try to keep your gall bladder and eliminate any stones if you get them.  Try not drinking too or switch to a different cocktail like beer to wine or wine to beer, your choice of drink could not agree with your pancreas,  liver   or etc...The liver does not have pain nerves, as I understand so you could be damaging it and not knowing it or irritating your pancreas ,   Just FYI. Sounds more like muscle or cartilage.

• Posted

It did cross my mind but not sure that would cause dilated cbd.

Had my blood test this morning so we'll see if that sheds any light.

Google = worse invention ever if you've got symptoms of something lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.