does this sound like gallstones?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all,

so been having very mild discomfort under right side ribs, sometimes ribs are tender as well, and other times sternum or top of pectoral muscle tender to press. must stress it's not pain, more tenderness/discomfort.

i do suffer from acid wich is controlled with 75-150mg of rantitidine, if i don't drink alcohol or spicy food i can sometimes go without, i do drink a couple of glasses of white wine pretty much daily (i know!)

so doc sends me for ultrasound which all looks pretty normal except for dilated cbd, around 8.9mm. couldn't see all of cbd as some gas in bowel apparently

currently have no tendeerness but conscious of area, might be psychosomatic

any thoughts on why cbd is dilated, is 8.9mm a lot? 50yr old male btw.

having a blood test soon for completeness but any thoughts people?

thx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So, bloodwork normal apart from slightly raised electrolytes, whatever that means. Still no pain but the occasional discomfort persists.

Seem to get it in right pectoral area as well.

I still suspect acid reflux.

Any other ideas?

• Posted

Hi, Mick,  

As I recall, you've already considered a fatty liver, haven't you? The only other thing I can think of is a hiatal hernia or hiatus hernia, which can cause a feeling of awareness of an area, a sense of fullness or pressure as well. (I have one of these and it has acted up more than usual, lately, though it's classified as small.)  Each person on this site probably had different signs or symptoms.  During the process of my gallbladder diagnosis ultra-sounds were used exclusively.  I didn't find out about the hiatal hernia until I had a CT scan, about 6 years after my gallbladder was removed.  This was ony ordered because my gastroenterologist was concerned because my spleen is slightly larger than normal.  I can understand why people who feel okay hate to go to the doctor, because they always seem to find something else.  Good luck!  Lynda      

• Posted

Thanks Lynda,

I'm starting to doubt my symptoms now, I've just been for few beers and a curry and feel fine, I did take ranitidine beforehand so maybe that did the trick. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive?

• Posted

You're welcome.  I don't know if you're oversensitive or not.  I think that your body is probably trying to communicate with you that something might be going on.  If the problems you have been having are mild right now, it's up to you whether you want to explore it further.  If there is something wrong, you will find out, one way or the other! smile  
  • Posted

Finally got around to see the doctor, apparently cbd was 8.5mm not 8.9 and he thought it was nothing to worry about. Electrolytes were just creatinine on high limit of normal. Main concern was cholesterol of 6.5 and he gave me 20mg statins to try for a couple of months to and then repeat bloods.

Been fine, no discomfort, doc said sometimes high cholesterol can cause slight discomfort in some people??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.