Dogs

Posted , 16 users are following.

My surgery is scheduled 12/26 and I become more fretful each day. As I mentioned, I am a 66 yr old widow living with my 2 dogs. Had my pre-op on 12/12 and HSS called me because they didn't have my CAT scan. I was signed in, saw the internist, went to education and was told I could leave. No one said a thing about a CAT scan. Now I have to go back this Friday. They're are also looking for a hematology report that was sent to them on 12/13. Just adds to my anxiety and frustration. I purchased all my supplies, two raised toilet seats, flexible ice pack that can be heated or frozen, a 4" pillow to keep me raised and a 5 piece tool set including a device to put on socks. I already have a seat for my shower.

My question, for those who have dogs. How long did you have to wait before you could actually walk them? They'll be with my sitter and my son. I'm just looking at timelines. Thanks all!

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

how big are your dogs? I could walk around a short block, using cane! at about two weeks. you just dont want them tripping you.

• Posted

Many thanks! They are Portuguese Water Dogs, Stella and Randall. Stella will turn 3 yrs old in March and is about 44 lbs. Randall is 10 months old and I'm not sure of his weight . . . he looks bigger because of his hair. Maybe 35-40 lbs. They'll be with my son for at least 2 weeks, but it's good to know that I may be able to get them out one at a time. Thanks again 😃

• Posted

try not to worry. i was able to take my bearded collie for a lead walk about three weeks post op. i could walk her round the corner to a large park then let her run round throwing a ball for her. as time has gone on im able to take her longer walks still using one stick and the other hand holding her lead. she has had to learn not to pull on the lead so she doesnt pull me over.

good luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much Jen! I'm in in patient rehab and will be going home this Saturday. So grateful that I was able to be admitted and delighted that I get to go home on Saturday!!! My dogs are still with my son and I have to practice staying in the day! Thanks again . . .Georgette

• Posted

You probably have this in your tool kit, but the most useful device I had was the grabber for picking things up.

• Posted

HI Georgette,

I was able to do lengthy walks after 3 wks.

Some people start walking earlier and some later.

It's all about your individual journey. Most important thing to remember is, don't rush it.

wishing you all the best...

-Gary

• Posted

Thanks so much Gary! I am an otherwise healthy woman. Joined a dog hiking group, usually walked 3-5 miles daily, good blood work, not heavy and not thin. When I had my knees done in 2011, I did too much and had a bit of a meltdown. Learned my lesson and all went well, and at that time, I had 2 big German Shepherds!

Thanks for your kind words,

Georgette

• Posted

it will be nice to have this all behind you. after all it all about a better quality of life, we all go thru a lot of anxiety before surgery no matter how many thr been thru . its all normal with many experiencing the possibility of major surgery. hopefully it all all work out for you and on to a pain free future.

• Posted

Depends how good yr dogs are, my little dog was ok to walk once i could manage mostly with 1 cane. They were great around the house. Very respectful of the crutches. Maybe once you get them home someone could walk them for a bit longer for you. They will definately cheer you up.

Good luck.

• Posted

In the house they are great! They play with each other until they are tired and they listen well. They will be going with my son for at least 2 weeks and I have a wonderful petsitter who can keep them overnight, if need be. Many friends have offered to walk them, but it's not like they're next door. I'll have to get a dog walker that I can depend on.

Thanks so much for your response!

• Posted

Hi Georgette

I had revised hip surgery just over 7 weeks ago. I have a three and half year old black lab. I cant walk her until i get rid of the cane completely. Although I am walking outside with one cane now i would,nt feel comfortable walking her yet as she is so strong and is solid muscle and tends to pull. She has been great with me throughout my recovery and tends to protect me when i go out with my husband when he takes her out for a walk.

• Posted

I love labs and know how strong they can be! Sometimes like a bull in a china cabinet 😃 Did you have anterior surgery?

• Posted

HI georgette

It was revised hip surgery as there was an issue with some of the muscles around my hip. In both cases my dog was absouletly fantastic they definately know when something is wrong. Although i am missing taking her for a walk, but hopefully soon.

• Posted

Randall, at 10 months old, sleeps with his head on my shoulder and Stella nuzzles in. When I wake up, I can barely move because they both have me boxed in. In the morning, Stella goes belly up and I rub her belly every morning, as Randall rests his head on my hip, observing. I'm getting my exercise in, as I was once an avid hiker and walked 3-5 miles daily. I had to pick up a prescription from CVS and I bring Stella and Randall come with me. Everyone is very friendly and the dogs sit quiet and politely until someone wants to pet them. Then they become excited "Me first, me first!" I ask the person to refrain from petting them when they're excited and most understand. It's been one year now that I've been in pain, sometimes barely able to walk. My spine is pretty bad, but I believe that yoga was of immense help. I pray that I can get back to my old lifestyle. I went for my pre-op last week and the hospital called me today because when I was at pre-op, I did not get a CT scan. Have to drive back again on Friday. I was beyond frustrated, but know that this too shall pass.

What color is your lab and what is his/her name? I used to watch Bosco, a yellow lab and I was with him when he was euthanized. I cried my eyes out as much as when I had to put my shepherds down. When you walk in my home, one of the first things you see is a framed photo of Bosco . . .

• Posted

a friend of mine has a medium -26lbs- size dog, but one that pulls constantly. she got this special small harness at the pet shop that goes around the dogs middle behind the elbows and around the collar section. easy to put on but when the dog pulls it tightens around their chest not their neck and they really don't like that and stop pulling. It doesn't hurt the dog, was cheap, small and in a very short time she learned not to pull. couldn't believe how well it worked. ties to a regular leash. ill try to find a link to send you.

• Posted

In the search bar put "dog harnesses to stop pulling". lots of choices, from expensive leather to colored nylon ones, all different prices. The one she got was something under twenty dollars. good luck.

• Posted

Thank you! I just switched to what you described, about a month ago and it works great. It's like a Martingdale around their chest 😃 I got mine at my local petstore, nylon and lightweight.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi georgette

My dog is called Tessie and is three and half year old black lab. We did have a golden lab for just over 12 years and lost her about 4 years ago i too cried my eyes out when we had to put Andi (yellow lab) down. Tessie is just a bundle of energy and loves hill walking and going swimming. Andi was exactly the same when she was younger.

My recovery this time seems to be going well although still having a few niggles which hopefully will disappear I just have to be patient and not push myself which isnt easy for me:)

Like you I am a avid hiker and am at my happiest when i am in the hills with my husband and dog and do want to get back to that.

I hope your operation goes well and let us know how you get on and hope you have a happy christmas 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.