Dogs

Posted , 16 users are following.

My surgery is scheduled 12/26 and I become more fretful each day. As I mentioned, I am a 66 yr old widow living with my 2 dogs. Had my pre-op on 12/12 and HSS called me because they didn't have my CAT scan. I was signed in, saw the internist, went to education and was told I could leave. No one said a thing about a CAT scan. Now I have to go back this Friday. They're are also looking for a hematology report that was sent to them on 12/13. Just adds to my anxiety and frustration. I purchased all my supplies, two raised toilet seats, flexible ice pack that can be heated or frozen, a 4" pillow to keep me raised and a 5 piece tool set including a device to put on socks. I already have a seat for my shower.

My question, for those who have dogs. How long did you have to wait before you could actually walk them? They'll be with my sitter and my son. I'm just looking at timelines. Thanks all!

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Georgette,

Do you have a back yard they could go out in to do their business. I could not walk my dog as I was using crutches, my hubby walked the dog. As you are in America good chance you will have the anterior approach and the feedback on here seems to be, those having this approach are walking very quickly without aids.

• Posted

Yes, I am having the anterior approach. I live in a townhouse and have woods behind me, but it is not fenced in. Randall will always come back to me but Stella does not have a great recall. They will be with my son for at least 2 weeks and maybe when they come home I can use a cane and take 1 at a time into the woods.

Thank you!

• Posted

hi it all depends what procedure you have, I had the posterior approach and had muscle cut etc, I was on 2 crutches for about 6 week then went down to just one crutch which was when i started taking my dog out, but mine us just a small Bichon. the trouble you will have if you take them out in the early stages is bending down to pick the poo up. if like me you are quite fit you can bend down while bringing your operated leg up behind you hence not braking the 90% rule.

good luck with your op.

• Posted

Thank you - I'm having an anterior hip replacement. I never thought of how I would negotiate cleaning up their poop. I always do and you've raised a valid point. They will be with my son for two weeks . . . something else to figure out. Many thanks!

• Posted

Get one of those stick things with a cup on the end that you can fling a tennis ball to play with your dog. put the poop bag over the cup end and scoop.

• Posted

Hi Georgette, I had my THR only some 50 hours ago and I am 75 - now I am sitting at home working on my computer. So to be honest the operation is nothing to worry about - you go to sleep - you wake up - and its all done. Sure, it is difficult to walk afterwards but the more you do the less of a problem it becomes. I don't have dogs so cannot answer your immediate question but certainly don't worry about the THR - and its nice to let somebody else do the cooking for a change.

• Posted

Dear John - thank you for your positive feedback! It is very encouraging! I live alone with my 2 dogs in a 3-story townhouse. Did not have back or hip difficulty when I purchased it 2 years ago. My son and petsitter will care for them for a few weeks and my yoga community and friends have a meal train going for me! Thank you so much for your optimism!

Georgette

• Posted

Hi Georgette

My daughter has a beagle and he pulls on the lead. I can't manage him and I'm 7 weeks post op now. Even holding his lead, while someone else picks up his poop, is difficult. I prop myself up against something I can hold onto while I have his lead in my hand. He does not respond to commands so cannot be let go of for a moment.

I have had him come stay, as my daughter's father-in-law passed away and they have been busy dealing with the arrangements. The poor dog got taken out only twice in a week and had to do his business in my tiny back yard. I had to put a poo bag over my grabber to pick up his poo as my boys refused.

He demanded a lot of attention, which wore be out. I was so glad when they took him home again.

Hope your dogs are much better behaved!

• Posted

Awe, Elizabeth . . . how kind that you took your daughter's dog . . .my surgery is Wednesday and Stella and Randall will stay with my petsitter until Friday. Then my son, who lives in Philadelphia, will take them for at least 2 weeks or more if need be. They are really well-behaved, my love bugs, and I'm hoping that I can manage one at a time. We're used to lots of walks and taking just one is a breeze. Last night I took them to the hardware store and when I have to go to CVS, I bring them with me. I hope you can now get some rest and quiet.

Thanks so much for responding!

Georgette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.