Doing it Naturally!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had any success with improving bone density by taking vitamins and monitoring foods that help our bones?

My GP did an online test to look at my risks from another standpoint. Questions included whether I drank or smoked. 

My risk level was not high using this measurement. My worst reading from the bone density scan was -4.3 for L4 on the back.

After reading many online sites I felt the risks were too high for such medications as fosamax and prolia.

Next year I will pay for a bone density test to see if I have helped my bones.

If there is deterioration I will rethink the risks.

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was wondering this too Kathleen.  Wondering if going the natural route would prevent fractures, but also improve bone density.  Also thinking about getting a treadmill.  I have severe arthritis of the knees and two subdislocated bones in one foot but arthritis sites seem to imply that a well cushioned treadmill will benefit rather than damage and obviously the weight bearing exercise is good, so does anyone know about that aspect too?
    • Posted

Yes apparently weight bearing exercises should be part of the plan to help improve bones.

The main thing is not to fall and not to do things like lifting items that are too heavy. Also, straining like pushing something heavy or pulling!

You can do damage without having osteoporosis.

I do not drink or smoke and that is apparently good as well.

• Posted

Ah, I've never smoked and only drink about four times a year, if that, so that sounds encouraging Kathleen.
    • Posted

I was just looking up the benefits of walking and it came up with ideas I'd not thought about, that once you're used to doing more walking (be it on a treadmill or the ground) you can add weights (I'd guess a couple of cans of food might do this) to just stress the bones slightly more and also you can get a 'weight vest' to stress the spine more, to build stronger bone.  It does seem that you CAN build bone by natural methods and as long as this is done carefully, seems to be without the side effects of some meds.
  • Posted

I WAS in the middle of replying and lost my reply so if this appears twice apologies!!

I'm in my mid 70's,  have led and continue to lead an active life. I was diagnosed after a self made appointment of an ankle scan because of my family history. Unfortunately, my osteoporosis was quite advanced by then (t score abck  -5.2) so chose to go the drug route - aa  initially didn't suit me, strontium which improved my bone density but was taken off it by my GP and now prolia - no side effects.  I applaud those who decide to take the drug free route - its a brave decision but I understand the reasons.

For me seeing my mum in a wheelchair and in constant pain because of course years ago there was not the research and medication availble that there is now I chose to take artificial help.

I remain positive and apart from horse riding carry on almost the way i did before, of course I am careful - I go to the gym - a fantastic gym where the trainers have given me lots of execises to improve muscle strength, weight bearing exercises, balance etc. 

I would also suggest try to have an alkaline diet rather than acidic and of course don't smoke and not too much to drink!!

I don't take the vitamin calcuim with D3 advised  by my gp - too much sugar and and a banned colouring in it! Talk to a herbalist/biochemist/dietician and they should advise on the best course of natural sources to help you. Calcium with magnesuim, Vitamin D3, K2 should all help.

Good luck 

• Posted

Yes, I am having all those vitamins. 

Research of the side effects and what people were reporting caused me to try this first.

In America there are cases before the courts which are a bit concerning.

I understand why people choose to take the drugs.

I may even decide to do that next year after another bone density test.

It would be good if a better drug became available without the scary side effects and with more people writing positive things.

There is one being trialled/tested in UK now.

• Posted

Kathleen, do you know what the online test to look at your (fracture) risks was? J
    • Posted

No, I have tried to find it so guessing it is only available to doctors.

She typed in my height, weight, whether I smoked or drank and other responses which I have forgotten. 

• Posted

I knew I'd come across is on my ploughs through google Kathleen and I know I can't put links up here so hope if you put the title of the article in - , ' What’s your future risk of fracture? Find out with FRAX ', it will take you to the right page.  I didn't do mine on here though because the information sent to the GP (that they weren't going to divulge but my husband managed to get from reception) included a chart with my risk of fractures and it was way below the danger level.
    • Posted

I just looked at this and the risk calculator on FORE is better.  It takes more into account, I think, but still doesn't take into account any diet or exercise changes.
    • Posted

So is mine. It must not be just about bone density then. 

I am not sure what one my doctor used but it showed I am not as vulnerable as the bone density check says.

I do not even have osteo arthritis in the hip which is amazing as I seem to have it most other places.

My L4 on the back gave a result of -4,3 which is bad so I will see if I can improve that with diet and exercise and some goodies like K2 etc.

• Posted

I played with the charts a bit too and if I did it right then losing a little weight actually reduced risks of fractures, which surprised me because I thought weight would add more stress to bones and make them stronger (I'm only a little overweight).  Anyone know more about the weight aspect?

I find this all very difficult to understand really.  I was asked by someone if you can increase bone density with diet and supplements and I thought the studies said yes, you can, but they seemed to think not.  Is there a straightforward answer to this?  Has anyone increased bone density with diet and supplements?  I appreciate it's not just about bone density, in that something like AA increases density but can cause brittleness that makes fractures more likely as in the side effect of fractures of the femur?  Also, they are only recommended for a fairly limited time and after that time are you at risk again because they don't continue to work?  I'm not intending to take them but just interested.

Do keep us updated Kathleen and I hope you get excellent results!

• Posted

They have a half life so they keep working.

I think it is better to be overweight than an underweight.

time will tell i guess!

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen.  I THOUGHT I'd read that but have ended up getting totally confused.  Their half life is 10 years, isn't it?  Yes, I also think it's better to be overweight than underweight, but from those tables wondered if there is a line where overweight becomes more detrimental than slightly overweight?
  • Posted

I wonder if anyone just takes prescribed calcium and vitamin D tablets (e.g. colecalciferol 1.25mg twice a day) without a weekly dose of 70mg aludronic acid? I am 65, newly diagnosed from a heel scan t-score of minus 3.5. My body mass index is 20.7, never had a broken bone in my life. I was given a prescription of  both, with a verbal warning about aludronic acid and osteonecrosis of the jaw.  So of course I came home and looked that up. Thank goodness for the internet and forums such as this. I can make changes to my diet, exercise and lifestyle, and see that there are various supplements I could buy online. I plan to see a nutritionist then speak with doc again. Kathleen, it sounds like you are going the natural route too, I hope you do well. You mentioned it would be nice if a better drug became available without the scary side effects, and a new drug is being trialled/tested in the UK now – is that another in the bisphosphonate family?
    • Posted

I do not think the new drug is from the biphosphonate family of drugs.

I think there are many people who are trying the natural route first before they decide to take any of the drugs.

I do not think there are any safe ones.

We can always improve our diet and exercise regime and it is worthwhile to attempt this to improve our overall health.

• Posted

Mine isn't prescribed - my GP is useless, but I do take calcium, Vit D and also Vit K2 and magnesium.  My GP put me on Alendronic Acid before even getting a bone density scan but it made me so giddy that I came off it and then discovered I was below the treatment level anyway, but take the calcium and Vit D an K2 to hope I stay that way!  I do also eat more dairy and do more exercise too.  I have had two bones in my foot with a stress fracture many years back.  Hope it works well for you.
    • Posted

Maybe the new different drug being trialled is romosozumab a "humanized monoclonal antibody that inhibits the protein sclerostin"   google Late stage development:romosozumab phase 3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.