Doing it Naturally!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had any success with improving bone density by taking vitamins and monitoring foods that help our bones?

My GP did an online test to look at my risks from another standpoint. Questions included whether I drank or smoked. 

My risk level was not high using this measurement. My worst reading from the bone density scan was -4.3 for L4 on the back.

After reading many online sites I felt the risks were too high for such medications as fosamax and prolia.

Next year I will pay for a bone density test to see if I have helped my bones.

If there is deterioration I will rethink the risks.

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm trying the natural route because I don't trust the test or the drugs.

I broke my patella and it healed naturally and quickly. The Dexa test was done when I was in a hip to heel plaster with the nurse guessing my weight because I never bother to weigh myself. I have always been active and have a good diet. It is surprising to find how many people are taking AA when you ask around and disturbing when you find out how many suffer serious side effects. I just heard today of a patient who is suffering from serious jaw damage due to AA. Not worth the risk.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I did not think about the Dexa scan being wrong! That is interesting.

The bad side effects must be under reported. The half life also makes it scary.

Whereabouts are you Soozib?

• Posted

I'm in the NE of England.  I am going into the hospital for physio today and am going to try to have a conversation about bone density and bone strength because I am concerned that the drugs available to improve bone density seem to have a detrimental effect on bone strength.  Call me cynical but there seems to have been a plan on the part of the pharmaceutical companies to maximise their profits. The more research I read on the topic, the more sceptical I become. 
    • Posted

I agree. Whether that happens if you research everything I am not sure but theses particular drugs do not seem to be worth the risk.
    • Posted

Kathleen you know I agree with you, but I wonder too if we have to take into account the degree of osteoporosis someone has, and also their age.  While I certainly felt it wasn't necessary for the GP to give me biphosphonates, especially since he hadn't even got bone density scan results at that point, and when I saw the results was below the treatment level I certainly wouldn't take them, but  I do wonder if some may have less to lose on the treatment because their risk of spinal fractures is so high.  Using biphosphonates to treat low hip density I'm quite unsure of, since they can cause hip fractures - that doesn't add up to me, but I can understand why some choose that option.  I just feel GP's should put the case clearly and there should be discussion, which there certainly wasn't with mine!
    • Posted

Yes of course it must be an individual decision. 

My hip is not so bad compared with the back so why would you want to risk a hip fracture?

I would not say I will never take the drugs but for now I am waiting.

GPs should refer people on when they do not have the knowledge to weigh up a person's risk of taking/not taking the drugs.

• Posted

On the National Osteoporosis Society's website the September 2015 newsletter provides a link to one of their clinical advisor's discussion on Radio 4.  Professor Peter Selby's interview  (Skip forward to 21.44 for the osteopporosis section). he discusses bisphosphonates  - who should take them and for how long, but  he also reports that the medical world is now concentrating on how to prevent (older) people NOT geting fractures. 

We all know that bone loss as one gets older is a natural progression of aging but if we can prevent fractures in the first place how much more drug free we would become. The interview took place on Radi 4  on Wednesday 9th September 2015. 

• Posted

Thanks Mary - that was so interesting.  What it brought home to me was the importance, as well as a good diet, of exercise and activity, because weakness seems to be a major fracture risk.  I suspect before too long we'll see a gradual shift away from biphosphonates and more encouragement to take more exercise and be more active.  I think the 'take a pill to cure all' is gradually going and people are having to take more responsibility for their ailments and cures.
    • Posted

Being informed and armed with as much information as possible is certainly wise. 

I am now looking at my other medications to see if they are the best for me.

Do you have other health issues apart from osteoporosis, Mary?

• Posted

Very wise Kathleen.  I've stopped a huge amount of mine.  I used to need a supermarket trolley to collect them and now it's one little bag!  I was on heart medication for years and years and years until I asked why I was on it and mentioned I thought leg swelling might be from that and they took me off it.  Not noticed any difference!  And don't even mention statins!
    • Posted

Chris, I believe that you are absolutely correct.  I was prescribed AA but am determined not to take it because I cannot believe that I need it or any other drug.  Following a fall and fractured patella, I am getting back to walking normally, with the help of an excellent physiotherapist, and will gradually build up to a good exercise programme again.  I don't know how bad my Dexa scan results are and have asked for a printout from my doctor so that I have baseline information. Has anyone else found that receptionists are defensive when asked for test results? The person I spoke to at the practice asked me why I wanted them.  Bizarre!
    • Posted

I think the test results are your property and I have never heard of being denied them or questioned about them.

I am in Australia and it is a matter of course that these are given to you and print outs when requested.

You cannot make an informed choice without full information.

How do you know how serious or not serious your bone density is without knowing the results! Unthinkable!

• Posted

I had a similar problem.  My GP put me on AA before he'd even seen scan results (I hadn't even HAD the scan then!) but when I went back because the tablets made me so giddy that I was almost falling over several times, I didn't even get to see a GP - a nurse just told me to go in the waiting room and wait and she came out with another prescription of AA again, no discussion about results of the scan or discussion about side effects of AA at any point.  The prescription went in the bin - after all, the main thing is to prevent fractures and falling over with dizziness hardly helps that!  But my husband who can be quite pushy, managed to get a copy of the scan from the receptionist and we saw that I was under the recommended treatment level!   We are entitled to the full information of scans, and a full discussion of side effects when they are serious from a medication like this, to balance up the risk factors.
    • Posted

I will revisit mine for diabetes in particular but what I am taking works well and it is not something you can choose to take or not take not AA. Weight gain is an issue as is fluid retention especially in the legs. I would have to go to insulin which may be no better.
    • Posted

Chris, that is mad! My doctor has now agreed to send the scan results to me so I will let you know how bad my results are.  Thanks for your interesting comments.
    • Posted

Hope your results aren't too bad Soozib, and you can manage it with diet and supplements and exercise.  When I put my details in on the 'risk assessor' online weight was something that came up as an issue, so I've lost 10lbs over the past few months and intend to lose a few more too, because I noticed if you put a lower weight in on the online form, it lowered the risk factors of a fracture.  Obviously you don't want to get too thin though because that's not good for osteoporosis!  I know to some extent we all feel we're fumbling our way through this, but I've come to the conclusion that GP's are too!
    • Posted

Thanks, Chris.  I agree with you about the weight. I fiddled with the online tool and found the same results as you did.  I need to lose a few pounds because I have been sitting around for several weeks, but, as you say, it looks as though you shouldn't get too thin!
    • Posted

I always thought it was thin people who were more at risk of osteoporosis but I'm thinking now perhaps thinner people are the more active ones, so that might be relevant.  But I am fumbling through it!  I'll be the first to admit that.
    • Posted

I'm fumbling too, but getting more knowledge as I read comments here, which are very helpful.  I eventually got my scan results, which show -1.9 at the spine,  Femoral neck is higher at -3 but whatever the advice to take bisphoshonates, I am not going to. Going for blood tests this week so will see what they show. I can't believe a have low Vitamin D. I am never out of the fresh air and sunshine when we get it! 
    • Posted

Vitamin D is so important and I think such a huge number of people are low in it.  I keep telling everyone I know to get tested for it but it's hard to get over to people that even if they make the most of the sunshine we get, the chances are they're still going to be low in it.  I was reading a report yesterday that they found women with prolapses were generally very low in it too.  Whether it's linked to prolapses or simply reflects that so many people tested are low generally, I'm not sure - possibly the latter.  I think you're doing the right thing about bisphosphonates though.  Hope it goes well for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the good advice. I am sure I'm doing the right thing about bisphosphonates. I'll find out from my tests this week about Vitamin D etc. and then I'll book a holiday in the Caribbean!
    • Posted

Sounds good!  Room for me in a suitcase?????:-)))
    • Posted

Why not? razz  But of course we might then have to join the melanoma forum!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.