Doing it Naturally!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had any success with improving bone density by taking vitamins and monitoring foods that help our bones?

My GP did an online test to look at my risks from another standpoint. Questions included whether I drank or smoked. 

My risk level was not high using this measurement. My worst reading from the bone density scan was -4.3 for L4 on the back.

After reading many online sites I felt the risks were too high for such medications as fosamax and prolia.

Next year I will pay for a bone density test to see if I have helped my bones.

If there is deterioration I will rethink the risks.

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No Kathleen, thankfully no other health issues.

I do have quite severe osteoporosis in my back (T score now 4.9 - it was -5.2) but no pain (or at least not until I do too much gardening).

However, I do have six monthly injection of denosumab (Prolia)  with no side effects.

I am able to execise a lot and do lots of walking.

Now we are being told that calcium doesn't reduce risk of fracture in osteoporosis.   I sometimes think: just go with your gut reaction, exercise within your capabilities, eat healthily, keep positive and KEEP SMILING. 

• Posted

I refuse to accept the notion of calcium not being important for our teeth and our bones.

I have lots of other health problems but I have never baulked at taking medication before.

Maybe I should now and review my medications. 

I believe that dairy is important and taking vitamin D, K and magnesium all help. 

• Posted

I like your advice, Mary.  I have just heard the latest on calcium too. I think Vitamin D is what I need, so I am going out in the sun to do a bit of gardening (within my capabilities) biggrin
    • Posted

I totally agree with you Kathleen.  I too feel calcium, taken with magnesium to aid absorption, is important.  Luckily this week in the UK we are having lots of Autumn sunshine so can top up our vitamin D the natural way.  

You mentioned diabetes. Eighteen months ago as a result of my annual check  I was told I was pre-diabetic and may have to go onto medication.   I was very indignant as the letter notifying me said diabetes is a result of being a) overweight b) lack of exercise and an  unhealthy diet.. I challenged the letter and was told 'oh it must be age related then'.  I refused any medication, (which I realise those who are diabetic are not able to do)  saw a nutritionist who suggested 

a potent multi vitamin and mineral supplemental support for those with undesirable blood sugar levels - result no longer pre diabetic.

I sometimes feel that at my age (70s)  the medical world expresses surprise that one isn't on a selection of different drugs for various "issues". 

• Posted

That is very true, Mary. I'm not quite 70 yet - just 69 - but take no medication at all, following an unpleasant episode about 30 years ago with antibiotics.  I know that I am very lucky and am trying very hard to keep it that way. Surprise, surprise, medical world!
    • Posted

Good for you, long may it remain that way!  

I'm not too sure its all down to luck though; I think you should take some credit for what is no doubt  a healthy lifestyle.  Now get back in that garden!!

I'm just about to do some gadening too, as, at long last, the sun has broken through the cloud and its beautiful outside.   *&^%* the osteoporosis I'll continue an active lifestyle for as long as I am able!!!

• Posted

Four members of my family have or had diabetes. Two were never overweight. One was actually underweight. Other two were/ are overweight so I believe far more is involved than lifestyle. Most things are genetic.

A lot of what is being said now is incorrect I believe and based on fad diets that come and go like the butter/margarine debate. 

I do agree sugar is not good especially much of it. But saying now to eat heaps of fat is ridiculous. Also, all carbs are bad! 

I think we use our common sense with individual situations and make informed decisions.

• Posted

This rather reminds me of the eggs debacle we had some years back.  It was first 'go to work on an egg' saying how good they are for you, then they were bad, and then they were good, and I think calcium comes under the same thing - first it's good and then it's bad and so on.  At the end of the day the 'experts' are fumbling their way through just as much as we are!  There are so many conflicting studies on every aspect of health.  You just have to find out what seems to work for you and go with it!
    • Posted

So true Chris I was thinking the exact thing about the eggs! Everybody believed it because of the cholesterol thing. And look at the new discussions on cholesterol as well!

For every argument there is you can find contradictory evidence too.

The doctors and nutritionists still advocate for calcium importance.

To each his own!

• Posted

I do think there is a wariness about medication gradually coming in now, as people realise that drug companies don't always give unbiased information and that  so many studies can be conflicting.  There was a big article in a newspaper recently about bisphosphonates working to add bone density for osteroporosis but there was no mention of hip fractures or jaw problems - it was all positives and no negatives, and this sort of thing really frustrates me.  It was done by a doctor who was telling everyone how wonderful estrogen is for women, again with no warnings (I wrote to him and told him he should point out the negative side and he actually added it in his column the next week, which surprised me!).  But when this sort of thing is in a general newspaper it can have so much influence!  But I still think the best we can do for ourselves is read all the information, and then fumble our way through making our own decisions!
    • Posted

That all makes sense, Chris! 

I sneezed and something in the middle of my back felt weird and hurt which made me very worried.

I imagine I will break my back if I fall or even cough or sneeze which probably is not correct.

If I had never had a Dexa scan I think I would be happier to not know about any of this.

If you set out to prove anything it can be done by seeking only that information that agrees with your hypothesis.

• Posted

Kathleen, my GP giving me AA got me absolutely neurotic.  About two weeks ago I suddenly had a pain in one hip (I'd been overdoing it with the exercise bike)  and I was living in fear that I'd fractured it!  Honestly, I truly was.  After a few days I made an appointment with the physio to ask them but by the time my appointment came up it was already getting better and I wasn't surprised to be told it was muscular.  Then my husband left some oil from lubricating the cross trainer on the floor which made it really slippery and I was in a total panic in case I slipped and made him get it up totally (which I still think was a good idea) but I think it's easy for us to become neurotic over these things and get them all out of proportion.  At the same time, all of us, regardless of if it's osteopenia or osteoporosis, need to do what we can to avoid falls, and avoiding falls is good training for older age too!  So I think it's just a case of getting it in perspective really and doing our best to eat sensibly, take supplements where we feel it's the right thing to do, take care to avoid accidents and also to build up strength which will also help avoid falls, and for those with worse osteoporosis, consider the medication available.  It's very easy to dwell on this too much, unless another health issue comes up which takes our attention more:-)  I think our bodies are tougher than we sometimes get the impression from re bone scans etc.
    • Posted

Chris, both your and Kathleen's comments are so true!

My mother had osteoporosis; ended up in constant pain and in a wheel chair but  was only diagnosed (in those days) after a fall (from a chair when she had been been trying to reach something!)  Now we are being tested for osteoporosis and often prescribed these (horrendous?) drugs.   

However,  now that I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis I am careful (hopefully) not to fall, concentrate on strength and resistance training and of course balance. Would I spend quite so long in the gym if I hadn't been diagnosed prior to a fall? - I'm not sure.   It is so easy to become paranoid yet at the same time it does make me a little bit more cautious in doing things I like to do, but probably shouldn't!!

We all try not to let it rule our lives but its sometimes not so easy. Nearly went flying in the supermarket (again!) when I put my foot on a trail of squashed sultanas left on the floor. Thanks goodness for balance training!!

• Posted

You put it in a nutshell Mary - that's so good!  We need to use the information to help us but not to ruin our lives:-)  I like that:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.