Don't be like Ruth

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi hippies. I haven't done much original posting but here goes.

Had anterior RTHP on 2/7/17 (in the US because there are differences). Was walking unaided by the end of the first week. No narcotic pain pills. Had no restrictions for sleeping, leg crossing etc. Did 5 weeks (10 sessions) of formal PT. At 6 week checkup was cleared to drive, swing a golf club, walk dogs, on an on. Felt great!!

Then I got bored with my home PT exercises & only did them maybe once a week. Mind you, I'm gardening, walking dogs & me 3 miles a day. So I figure I'm moving, it's all good.

NOT! By week 9 I'm having pain/discomfort on my first 4-5 steps. Ugh!!

I see my surgeon next week for 12 week checkup & I'm back to doing my PT exercises before he chews me out😂.

So my point, to those especially that are behind me in recovery, do your exercises, & elevate & ice your hip. Don't be like Ruth, be better than Ruth!

Happy recovery hippies!

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Ruth

Don't be too hard on yourself. I had my hip done twenty years ago was like you walking unaided a day or so of returning home. I was not given any exercises to do so I did none. all I did was to walk every day and carry on with my life at a slower pace than before the surgery as my strength returned in my leg.

I took minimal pain meds after leaving hospital.

Not sure if this will help anyone but it is another take on hip recovery when I was 55. Now at 75 I've got it all to do again along with an ankle revision which is very much more of a challenge than a hip in my opinion.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Ugh, Richard. Hope all goes well for you. Love your posts. You have much history to share with us.
    • Posted

Dear Ruth

Just noticed your post as I was about to turn the bedroom light.

Glad you like my posts...I tend not to know if they help but just cannot help sharing my thoughts and experiences!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

i had my RTHP on 1st March, so 8 weeks post-op, I did my exercises 3 times a day religiously for 6 weeks and am now doing them twice a day most days.  I have been walking once or twice most days and increasing the distance each time. 

I also now now have pain on standing and the first few steps. I am quite disheartened by this as this is how it was pre-op. Not as severe, admittedly, but enough to make me nervous about standing up. 

So like  Richard said, don't be hard on yourself. Is it just one of those things you get left with?  I haven't had my follow-up yet, but I will definitely be asking. 

Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks Kim. It helps a bunch to know I may not be alone. Maybe it's part of healing. Will share after I see my surgeon next week.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I had my first hip replacement (left) in 2004 and my second hip replacement (right) in 2006. The first hip required a metal plate due to spurring. I was 4 weeks before I felt comfortable walking without crutches and 6 weeks before venturing out of the house.  My second hip was the same.  I had ceramic/titanium rod, shell and ball in first hip and ceramic/titanium rod with cobalt/chronium ball in second hip. I followed physio for 6 weeks and was at east 10 weeks before sleeping on side with pillow between legs.  I was told no tennis or golf or jogging and i know these are wrong for me.  I walk a lot and do pool exercises to keep fit. My message is... do what the physio and surgeon tell you because they know YOUR individual history.  I am currently struggling with third hip replacement due to cobalt/chrome shavings leaking into my body corroding bone, causing metal poisoning, hernia and other issues.  I now have ceramic/titanium shell/ball in right hip as well as huge plate due to bone density caused by faulty hip.  I non weight bared for 8 weeks on crutches and am now weight bearing on crutches at week 12 wondering if I will ever walk on my own but patience and physio will get me there. I do what I am told and everybody is different in recovery.  Listen to your body.

All the best Ruth.

• Posted

Oh Maree. What a tough journey for you. I try to remember when all else fails, listen to your doc PT. Now if I would take my own advice. All the best to you.
  • Posted

dear Ruth, 

oh dear ... look how far you have come ... doing all those things, the gardening, walking dogs 3 miles per day and I am sure much more ...

Might be a little too much maybe? Your body is just telling you that you might .. stiffness in muscles is normal, even at 9 weeks post-op  ...

Relax, darling and really, ease up on your self --

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hey Ruth we have ALL done it!!! Seriously, I gave up on my exercises after a while, as I thought I had better things to do smile 

What can be more important I hear you cry? Well quite....but try telling that to the rest of the world, and besides the exercises are REALLY boring!!

I think you are doing just GREAT!! 3  miles a day is wonderful...so Ruth be kind to yourself, don't let the buggers chew you out, they should try out this surgery and see how they get on no?? The recovery is a long, completely boring and mind numbing epic marathon back to fitness, so if you need a day out to eat chocolate, drink wine and watch trashy films then I think you have earnt it! A 3 mile walk and gardening is NOT a day of my book hun smile

Now get back those exercies on the double!!!!!! smile smile smile 

• Posted

I think that's a really useful contribution Ruth. Unlike most people I have my own physiotherapist who I have been seeing for two+ years. And this is exactly what she says - major surgery is work to prepare for and work to do after. I was exercising for over three months to prepare my muscles for the hip replacement (08/11/16). And I am now approaching my six month mark with no pain or problems ever since the op. I still have a regimen of hip exercises - more than most people because my mobility is still seriously impaired by an ankle that needs surgery, so I need to compensate for the reduced mobility.

I think it's particularly a useful reminder to those having an anterior approach, because I have noticed on here a tendency towards "it's superior surgery, you can treat it like a minor inconvenience". Either approach is still major surgery and needs treating as such. 

• Posted

Dear Beth

Excellent result from you well done!  I'm certain that being in good physical shape before having any operation especially a hip one is so important to a fast and easy recovery such as we have both had.  A positive approach is imporrtant too.

I agree with what you have said about the anterior approach,   Having seen a demonstration of it recently I'm well impressed, but at the end of the day it is still down to the skill and experiance of the surgeon.    Reports I've read here would seem to indicate a less than good outcome for some where this approach was used so regardless of method it is largely down to who is doing it, and as you say it is still major surgery that hits the body really hard.  Being in good physical and mental condition is bound to help

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Hi Ruth I know that Americas time line is different but surely not that much smile keep up the exercises, your right its a lot more important than you can imagine, until you stop.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! I love this group!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.