Don't doubt symptoms are mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

To anyone off or coming off mirtazapine, please don't doubt pains etc are due to withdrawal, 2 days ago I had lower back pain, tummy cramps, internal tremors, headache, numbness/heat in arms, nausea, dry mouth, anxiety, depression etc it was a bad day, then yesterday on a better day I had none of the physical symptoms didn't even wake with anxiety, today bad day again and in agony, if it was a true illness it really really wouldn't come and go, I'm partly writing this for others but also to remind myself as when you're anxious you don't think straight x

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Edited

You are so right. I am 4 months off mirt and still have really bad days. I panic and think I am ill. Then I suddenly go into a window and feel almost normal. Still scary tho especially as I am 4 months off the drug. I reduced over 5 months to 3.5 then stopped. Seems I should have dropped more gradually to next to nil.hey ho. ...
    • Edited

Not good is it Linda, it's nice to feel normal (in a window) but when you go bad again it's almost cruel x

• Posted

That's a nice post; thank you. Have either of you had crazy exhaustion some days? And waking up feeling tired even if you've slept?! The fatigue seems to be my main issue at the moment! 

• Posted

Hi Dee,

That is one I can definatley relate to,the extreme exhaust hair and fatigue,that lasted weeks,then went,before I realised it was mirtazapine withdrawels,was almost about to make GP appoint for check up,as just felt wiped out,then it passed.

where are you Dee on your mirtazapine journey? did you taper?

• Posted

Hi I tapered off slowly over a year. Last dose was 1ml. Have suffered with fatigue during being on the med but still having lack of energy and tiredness off it. Only 3 weeks off though so hoping it will go away! 
    • Posted

Yes absolutely dee I've stopped mirtazapine 3 times and the twice I didn't have many withdrawals I had fatigue, it takes time but it does pass x

• Posted

Bless you toira,

hope those windows stay open for you much longer,then eventually,never shut,you are getting there,although I know it feels forever,especially when you have the bad days.

I am still tapering,but has affected me exactly same,will have all the above mentioned,then feel ok and think I'm done,only rear ugly head.

The difficult thing for me with my spinal problems anyways,they can come and go,and this drug does have some analgesic properties,especially for nerve pain,and the lower I've gone the worse my back gets (but it just stayed worse till I up dosed 30mg 12nights) then was fine,but regret that decision,as can't live with nightmares and bizarre vivid dreams any more,so now on 22.5😔 Last 8 night and will definatley titrate off this drug,and suffering withdrawels all over again.got GP appointment just over week to discuss options for my back pain.back pains not been severe at 45mg it was only when I'd been at 15mg for a good 4 plus weeks my back was so bad I could hardly get around at all.

• Posted

I don't have pain. Just exhaustion and lethargy plus anxiety spikes. Have lost lot of weight and have trouble fancying food. On a good day I can eat and make plans. I have really bad insomnia and take zopiclone to sleep but doc not happy prescribing. Some days I feel so tired.

• Posted

What dose were you on Linda? And did you taper? And by how much each time.?
    • Posted

I was on 30 and graduly reduced down to 3.5 over 5 months. Finished early Sept. Still don't know if I am in withdrawal or original anxiety returned as I have waves and windows. Waves bad recently as have some stressful times domestically.

• Posted

You can do this chrisy you're stronger than you know ?? X

• Posted

Do you have any other symptoms that you didn't have with your anxiety? If yes it's definitely withdrawal! See I didn't have anxiety I had to have steriods in hospital and they caused temporary pyschosis instead of being told to wait it out I was ploughed with 10 different meds over 4 weeks x

• Posted

Linda I've dropped 2 sizes even though I'm eating through the nausea, I'm also on zopiclone have been on it years and my sleep is still really patchy, I think it's disgraceful that docs will hand out these drugs but not help you to get off them x

• Posted

This is a 3rd times I'm trying to come off mirtazapen. The first 2 times I was so sick bc doctor ct me or tapered to fast. Now the 3rd times I do it very slow, how lots of people told me. Only 10% every 2-3-4 weeks is depend on your symptoms. I'm down to 0.6 mg and still tapering. Having very painful burning squeezing head/ scalp and anxiety. I know symptoms can last for months or even years, but eventually everybody get better with God help. 

I wish everybody fast recovery 

🙏💕

• Posted

Does anyone else wake with burning sore eyes and awful headaches too? I know the dry mouth is common as you mention, but my eyes have been awful since being on mirtazapine! Off

It now, but still getting the symptoms of severe dry eye 😩

My headache was so bad this morning, it woke me up and couldn't get back to sleep as it was so bad

• Posted

Hi dee, how long have you been off for? I'm 14 weeks off tomorrow and up until a week ago I had headaches most of the days, they're much better now, the dry mouth is so annoying at night and I also wake up several times every night as my sleep dreadful x

• Posted

Also my eyes are extremely dry I rub them a lot in the evening and over night I feel like sleep builds up at the corners and also even though I sleep I feel like I haven't x

• Posted

I have been off it about 3 weeks. I don't have the headaches every day, but today I did and it's horrid! Sore eyes and fatigue also, so just going to be kind to myself and have a restful day on the sofa.  Yes my sleep also is unrefreshing, although varies in how tired I feel. Bad today! Did you have sore eyes on mirt? Again, something that has botherd me throughout taking but I hoped it would go away one I was off the stuff. X

• Posted

They're a little sore to be honest but for me the anxiety/fear and fast heart rate are the worst x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.