Don't know what to do

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

I've only been on sertraline a week, 50mg . I feel so anxious and tearful, driving home today I just burst into tears as I'm sick of being the me I am now. A few years ago I was on paroxetine which suited me, my doctor said he would rather I try sertraline this time as its gentler and paroxetine isn't prescribed as much now as withdrawals can be so bad. Now paroxetine did work for me, but I'm taking my doctors advice and trying the sertraline and I will persevere for the next 3weeks till I see him again. I just feel so fed up of myself and don't know how to move forwards.

Sorry for moaning but this anxiety and OCD is so horrible as we all know xx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yep - the medical community have moved away from Paroxetine - its viewed as the dirty SSRI.

Sertraline is now generally the favourite.

Keep going - SSRIs classically make things worse in the first week and then things start to get better. You should start to see improvement by 4 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Ben

Thanks for your comment, I will keep at it, just having a bad day. Yes my doctor said he'd rather keep me away from paroxetine x

• Posted

Please hang in there. I used .25 xanax about twice a week nd still am 7 weeks today on 50mg.

I feel a difference with my OCD and anxiety but not the panick attacks and situational anxiety (although they are much more bearable). I know i need a bump up to 75 or 100 but m waitig. Use this forum, it WILL BE OK.

• Posted

Hi Kmom

I'm pleased you have seen a difference with your OCD and anxiety, it gives me hope. This forum does help, to know your not alone . Thanks for the comment. Take care x

• Posted

Please hang in there. I used .25 xanax about twice a week nd still am 7 weeks today on 50mg.

I feel a difference with my OCD and anxiety but not the panick attacks and situational anxiety (although they are much more bearable). I know i need a bump up to 75 or 100 but m waitig. Use this forum, it WILL BE OK.

• Posted

I'm on my 12 day of 50mg and if felt terrible anxiety through the roof felt nauseous no appetite dry mouth to name a few but I know it takes a while to start to work so stay strong and we will both be back to normal just in time for Xmas xx

• Posted

Hi John

Thanks for your comment. The anxiety and no appetite is horrendous. I will stay strong and you too John. Yes we will be back to normal for xmas, isn't that a lovely thought xxc

Take care

• Posted

Good morning

My GP prescribed Sertaline 50mg - starting 6 months programme today for SAD.

Read with interest the various comments inc some not so positive so thought I'd contribute to this thread as sounds more positive.

Been alerted to the fact that the first two weeks can be difficult but hope that the very fact and hope I've been given some medication will carry me through the initial period.

Recent X-ray, blood tests and ultrasound after abdominal and back pains absolutely clear but my natural negative approach still led me to belíeve I'm seriously ill.

Hence medication for my annual bout of SAD. Here's hoping for a positive outcome and two weeks of suffering is a small price to pay if this stuff is going to work in the long term.

• Posted

Hi David

Yes the first two weeks do seem to be the worst. Hope it works for you x

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. Just started taking sertraline 3 days ago and it feels like things are getting much worse, not better. Anxiousness, anxiety, irritability, and unpleasant mood has increased. Also have had problems with sleeping (didn't before). This sure does not seem worth it. I've heard much better things about lexapro and prozac and am wondering how they're different. I understand things are supposed to get better after 2 weeks but it sure is difficult. Just really unpleasant.

• Posted

Hmm sounds bad - my own hope is that the initial relief that my GP had prescribed meds is maintained. I'm prepared for a rough couple of weeks ( easy for me to say on day one I guess ) - and a more positive outlook from then on.

After suffering from SAD for nearly 20 years I am prepared to give it a go.

Sincerely hope your experience improves over next few days.

• Posted

Hi AMR73

Most people do say the first 2weeks are the worst, the anxiety is terrible. I seem to be worse in the morning, take sertraline at 7.30 and so bad till about 1pm then seems to ease a bit. Spoke to my doctor today (who is brilliant) and he said it's common for this to happen the first few weeks so fingers crossed.

Good luck x

• Posted

Well day 18 and things have gone downhill the last 2 or 3 days. Can anyone confirm that this is possibly expected - 2 steps forward 1 step back?

I've also had a couple of beers the last 3 nights - could this be the reason?

Any advice / experiences gratefully received.

• Posted

Hi David

I'm 4weeks tomorrow and had a couple of good days during the week, but back to obsessing and horrible anxiety at the moment, so yes think it is expected.

I'm honestly fed up with myself and want to be me again.

Take care xx

• Posted

Thanks Julie

I confess to feeling much the same.

Set myself the goal of feeling more like my old self by Christmas.

D

• Posted

Hi David

Saw my doctor yesterday and he has upped my sertraline to 100mg, hopefully this will help.

How are you today David?

Wouldn't it be brilliant if we were our old selves again by Christmas x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.